2 trespass incidents this week near Fresno

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In the old days they used to have signs that said something along the lines of "WARNING: One train can hide another." which I thought were a good idea and a bit more practical than today's signs that generally just say "No Trespassing: Violators will be prosecuted!" or the like.

Last edited by a moderator:
What train is this, and what sort of equipment? The normal San Joaquin train is 5 cars of two level California Cars, which are bi-levels essentially Superliner in cross section. The picture shows single level, and only one well down from the pciture location looks like an Amfleet. The rest look like single level commuter cars from somewhere in the east.

What train is this, and what sort of equipment? The normal San Joaquin train is 5 cars of two level California Cars, which are bi-levels essentially Superliner in cross section. The picture shows single level, and only one well down from the pciture location looks like an Amfleet. The rest look like single level commuter cars from somewhere in the east.
They are using Single level Comet cars, refurbished NJ transit cars.

Mostly unrelated... If you're hiking the Appalachian Trail in northbound through Southern PA you cross the Susquehanna using the Interstate bridge just across from Duncannon. There in order to climb to the next ridge you have to cross a triple-tracked NS ROW that is quite active. When I came to cross a train was going through the track nearest to me, when it was done I looked at the signal to watch it change and almost immediately a second train came roaring through on the middle track. When that one was clear I saw a third on the final track, parked. I waved at the crew and waited to make sure they waved me on before I moved. I climbed about fifty feet up the hill and heard him highball out of there, got a cool view since I was basically right above him on the ridge.

I'm having difficulty quoting a previous quote.

I would like to let FriskyFL know that I wish I could "like" his/her comment a dozen times.

Edit: HIS. Just went back and checked.

Last edited by a moderator:
In the old days they used to have signs that said something along the lines of "WARNING: One train can hide another." which I thought were a good idea and a bit more practical than today's signs that generally just say "No Trespassing: Violators will be prosecuted!" or the like.
Many places still have similar signs and sadly, like many signs, people seem to ignore them. Heck on some of the lines out of Chicago, like the Hiawatha for example, they not only have signs but ringing bells & flashing red lights; and still people walked around one train and directly into the path of another.

Things got so bad up there, that after one tragic incident with a small child, METRA engineers now have standing orders that an arriving train cannot enter the station if another train just discharged pax and is pulling out. Engineers must now use the radio to coordinate arrivals & departures if two trains are that close to the same station.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back