1st Amtrak Trip Booked - Any Last Minute Tips?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All!

A few months ago I had the crazy idea to take my soon to be 5 year old on his first train trip! I made my first post here on Amtrak Unlimited back in February and was overwhelmed by the helpful advice!

We are now officially booked ... Amtrak 98/97 Silver Meteor roundtrip from Palatka, Florida to New York, New York! Yes, I know ... it's gonna be a long ride ... in coach!

Our trip is a little over two weeks away and we're all pretty excited. I wondered if anyone had any last minute advice? I'm not really sure what type of advice I'm looking for - I've read almost everything on the official Amtrak site, read through many, many posts here on Amtrak Unlimited, downloaded the Amtrak app, etc ... but any and all last minute tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks much!

I love the Silver Meteor. :)

I hope you and your son have a wonderful trip watching the east coast of the country pass by your window.

Pack some patience inasmuch as Amtrak does not always run on time. And, plan on something(s) for your son to occupy time and his interest in case the train does get delayed and is not moving.

And, please, give your son the experience of having "Dinner in the Diner". When I was growing up, my Mother spent the money for Lunch and Dinner in the Diner for my brother and me on the Dakota 400 and Rochester 400 of C&NW RR. And, those were memorable events.

Your son may not remember this trip, but I'll betcha you do!!! Have Fun!!!!!
Aloha

At 4-1/2 I took my daughter on a 5 month trip 35 years later she remembers many of the places she was. The biggest surprise to her was snow on the beach at Coney Island. Being born in Hawaii snow was a new thing for her.

The advice to relax is the best, Have fun Enjoy!

There's a travel kit available in the lounge car. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but it contains a blanket, eyeshades, and earplugs and inflatable pillow. $8.00 each. There's also a city guide available for download, as well as a restaurant guide at www.amtrak.com

Is he at the age where you can make a list of things to look for out the window and make it a game? (Easy ones that are sure to show up--a boat on a river, a freight train, a skyscraper in one of the northern cities.) That might be fun for both of you.

Thanks 'pennyk' - we're excited!

LOL 'StriderGDM' - I'll relax once my butt is in the seat on the train & we start rolling!

Thanks 'the_traveler' - I've already signed us all up!

I betcha you're right 'Rail Freak'!

No worries 'Dakota 400' - I've got lots of tricks up my sleeve! We take lots of long distance road trips, so I'm ready. You're "Dinner in the Diner" comment has made me rethink our dining plans - I had planned on only eating breakfast in the dining car - I will reconsider to also include at least one dinner. Thanks for your feedback.

LOL 'GG-1' - at 4-1/2 I moved to Hawaii from Washington State and couldn't believe it didn't snow there!

Thanks 'Palmetto'!

Thanks so much 'cassie 225'!

We have a card game that is exactly that 'Mystic River Dragon'!

Thanks so much to you ALL for the replies!

How old is your son?

It should a great trip. I'd recommend spending lots of time in the observation/lounge car and definitely have at least a couple meals in the diner car during your trip. The meals are quite substantial and filling, plus you won't be getting much exercise on the train. So two meals are the most I could ever handle - usually breakfast and dinner.

Have fun!

Eastern single level trains do not have anything like the Superliner SSL. I can not remember the last time I went to the "lounge car" on a single level train.
I think the lounge cars on the Silver Meteor are perfectly fine, providing you are not expecting a Superliner Sightseer Lounge. I hang out in the lounge quite often.

I'm not sure what advice you got from your first post but I just took my daughter on a trip in coach. She is only two but I found at night that if i hung my sheet up like a curtain it helped her sleep better. It helped blocked some of the light. She had a blast though and still talks about it. She even made friends with some of the other kids. Have fun! It was a blast and we can't wait to do it again!

Eastern single level trains do not have anything like the Superliner SSL. I can not remember the last time I went to the "lounge car" on a single level train.
I think the lounge cars on the Silver Meteor are perfectly fine, providing you are not expecting a Superliner Sightseer Lounge. I hang out in the lounge quite often.
I take exception with calling the AmCafe a LOUNGE CAR. There is nothing "lounge about it". No atmosphere (unless AUers invade it) No big windows, nothing but standard seating at McDonald's-type formica covered four tops. BLEECH!

And yet, as opposed to staying tucked away in a tiny roomette, I too will often "camp out there" as at least you can see both sides of the train, thru the tiny AmCan windows.....

They really need to order some single-level lounge cars. But honestly, I'm 57, I don't think in my lifetime you'll see them on Amtrak.

I wouldn't mind something like THIS.

Even Wikipedia get it right HERE "The car may feature large windows and comfortable seating to create a relaxing diversion from standard coach or dining options. In earlier times (and especially on the "name" trains), a lounge car was more likely to have a small kitchen, or grill and a limited menu......"

Or THIS

I disagree also Penny! You can't even hold a Yoga Lesson in them, and the atmosphere is like a small McDonalds with even crappier food @ High Prices! ( How about a Dollar Menu? LOL)

Sightseer Lounges on the Superliners are like a Taj Mahal in comparison even though they have the same high priced crap on offer!

Best of both worlds would be Done Lounges or real Lounge cars like the Park Cars on the Canadian, but of course that's a fantasy in this political climate!

Last edited by a moderator:
Too bad Amtrak only owns one Great Dome lounge now. Those were great cars. Windows all over the place. Upstairs & downstairs seating. Piano (when it worked). Rode like a heavyweight Pullman on 3-axle trucks. Smoothest-riding car I ever worked (assuming smooth track). OTOH, the ex-MILW full length domes we got from Princess Cruises had their share of problems. They leaked like a sieve when it rained.

Tom

On our trip a couple of years ago, first time on the SIlver Meteor, it was hard for me not having a SSL as I'm used to on the Empire Builder. We pretty much stayed in the room.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back