#14 - Coast Starlight

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CapitolLTD

Train Attendant
I think I got the train number correct, 14 right? Anyway, i'm traveling into SJC soon, and will be on this train. I remember discussions that stated this train is notorious for being 14 hours late. I have someone picking me up there, and need to know what the situation with this train is at current day.

Has anything improved that anyone is aware of? Any problems I should expect? I will be traveling in cold weather, and I have heard first hand tales from Amtrak passengers that heat has broken down, people were left freezing until things could be improved...all sorts of other stuff.

Also, I need to know if Amtrak has any objections to amateur radio operation on the train.

I will have 2 five watt portables with me.

I am hoping that these were just exaggerated tales. Thanks for your input and help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well first you'll need to define soon. If soon is within the next two weeks, then you'll want to take a look at this topic which describes the current suspension of the route due to a mudslide in Oregon.

If soon is three to four weeks off, then things might just be back to normal. And in that case, this train has been doing much better. That's not to suggest that it perfectly on time, but the days where 6, 8, 10, and 12 or more hours late were routine are over.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well first you'll need to define soon. If soon is within the next two weeks, then you'll want to take a look at this topic which describes the current suspension of the route due to a mudslide in Oregon.
If soon is three to four weeks off, then things might just be back to normal. And in that case, this train has been doing much better. That's not to suggest that it perfectly on time, but the days where 6, 8, 10, and 12 or more hours late were routine are over.
Agreed. Northbound the average is about 2 hours late. Southbound more on-time and closer to 1 hour late average over the last 3 months or so.

Is there reason to think these improvements are permanent, or is it more a function of the season? Is the CS likely to go back to the "old schedule" during the busy summer months?
No there is reason to hope that this improvement is permanent. First off things were much better in the summer of '07 when compared to the summer of '06. And then there is the fact that UP does seem to be making some efforts to improve things for Amtrak. The Sunset is probably still the worst for Amtrak on UP, but there are real capacity issues there that nothing but double tracking can fix. That double tracking is underway, but it is still years from completion.

But UP has been trying much harder IMHO on both the CS and especially the CZ of late.

Thanks for all the input guys! I changed my routing from CHI to SJC, and I will go through Emeryville into Oakland and Oakland into SJC. A longer trip, but it gets me there. Is there anything worth photographing on the way there? Is Amtrak generally ok with Amateur Radio operation?

Thanks for all the input guys! I changed my routing from CHI to SJC, and I will go through Emeryville into Oakland and Oakland into SJC. A longer trip, but it gets me there. Is there anything worth photographing on the way there? Is Amtrak generally ok with Amateur Radio operation?
Well that routing would mean that you're on the Zephyr, considered by most to be the most scenic route that Amtrak operates. Therefore I'd say that you should be able to find a few photo ops. :)

As for the radio operation, I guess that you need to clarify just what you mean by that. You are allowed to carry a receiver that can pick up the radio transmissions made by the crews of the Amtrak trains. But you are not allowed to transmit on those frequencies for any reason. If you plan to transmit on amateur frequencies, then as long as there is no danger of stepping on an Amtrak frequency or bleeding over to an Amtrak fequency, then you should be ok as long as you are disturbing your neighbors with the noise of the transmissions.

I thought I wasn't supposed to annoy my neighbors, hi hi!

You said "then you should be ok as long as you are disturbing your neighbors with the noise of the transmissions."

but we all know what you meant! :D

I'll mostly do my operation in the sightseeing car during the night. My rigs cover five watts from 144.000 to 148.000Mhz and 430.000 to 450.000Mhz

I don't think they should splatter over onto crew freqs. They haven't splattered anywhere yet.

I thought I wasn't supposed to annoy my neighbors, hi hi! You said "then you should be ok as long as you are disturbing your neighbors with the noise of the transmissions."

but we all know what you meant! :D
Yes, obviously I meant as long as you are not disturbing your neighbors. That's what comes from trying to answer questions after dinner out with the wife and a couple of bottles of Saki. :)

Back