14 (5) Hits Trespasser

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The CS I'm on hit a trespasser north of San Jose. I had just retired for the night when I felt a jolt and heard a crewmember say "brace yourselves". Been here about an hour and a half and could be anothe hour or two before we get going again though the cops got here within minutes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apparently we got lucky if you can call it that. The UP inspector happened to be in the area or we may have sat a lot longer. Now about 7 hrs behind north of Sacramento. Oh well, I always wanted to see Chico, Redding, and Dunsmuir!!!

I wonder why it takes 5 hours to deal with a trespasser fatality. On the NEC it is usually well under two hours and sometimes even as little as an hour, depending on the level of the mess. In worst case, they have to shut the railroad down for an hour or two, but that is very unusual.

I wonder why it takes 5 hours to deal with a trespasser fatality. On the NEC it is usually well under two hours and sometimes even as little as an hour, depending on the level of the mess. In worst case, they have to shut the railroad down for an hour or two, but that is very unusual.
In Oregon, in my experience (on roads), is that once death has occured (outside of a physicians care) the body becomes the "property" of the medical examiner for the purpose of determining the means of death. There is also usually a forensic investigation of the scene to recreate the mechanics of the incident, to aid the ME. On a good day it takes about 4 hours, often longer.

Given the lawsuit happy enviromemt of California I expect that Amtrak and UP are very happy to have a forensic investigation happen which should show the trespasser should not have been where they were and the railroad had taken every required and reasonable means to prevent them from being there. In addition this type of incident might trigger railroad/FRA rules that the engineer/conductor to be relieved and drug tested (and hopefully debriefed to help prevent critical stress disorder).

Part of it was location: this occurred in a remote location , on a bridge, with high tide to boot. And we had to wait for railroad inspectors. A little gallows humor: Trish the Dragon Lady LSA has just made an announcement that the coach passengers will be given a complimentary lunch, and she wanted all coach passengers to be in their seats so she could get a "head" count. Not sure I'd use that term under the circumstances. ;)

Sorry for the family and friends of this individual and for the train crew. For the trespasser, not so much.
Curious to hear how that would sound. "I am sorry for the terrible loss of your dear trespasser." Choose compassion or choose indifference but when you try to choose both it sounds more like confusion.

The cause of death is self evident- extreme blunt force trauma from impact with a locomotive.
In addition to the cause of death there's also the cause of impact. Was it intentional or accidental? Was the person committing suicide? Did they trip or fall or simply lose situational awareness? Was it due to a drug reaction or intoxication? Were there any other witnesses? Was anyone else involved directly or indirectly? I think part of the problem is that the folks who need to do the work may not be nearby or may have competing responsibilities and are probably not used to being rushed once they get started.

Last edited by a moderator:
Part of it was location: this occurred in a remote location , on a bridge, with high tide to boot. And we had to wait for railroad inspectors. A little gallows humor: Trish the Dragon Lady LSA has just made an announcement that the coach passengers will be given a complimentary lunch, and she wanted all coach passengers to be in their seats so she could get a "head" count. Not sure I'd use that term under the circumstances. ;)
As long as the head count equals the body count everything is ok.

I wonder why it takes 5 hours to deal with a trespasser fatality.
Distance from the authorities. If you hit someone in the middle of nowhere, it takes a long time for the police/coroner/etc. to *get* there; same with the railroad inspectors. Hit someone next door to the police station and the track inspectors' HQ and it'll probably be cleared up very quickly!
This apparently occurred, as a previous commenter wrote, " in a remote location , on a bridge, with high tide "

In NJ, the fatalities get to sleep with the fishes. The Hudson River is quite close to many places along the NEC. Mob bosses quite often take the train and they want to make sure that the matter is handled quickly. A small percent of the vigorish usually collected along the route spread in the right places and the person will be found to have died in California, not on the NEC. :giggle: :giggle:

JayPea, how was the huge Redding trestle, just after leaving the Redding station heading north? Always wanted to see that in daylight.

And that route along the Sacramento River between Redding and Dunsmuir in the daylight must've been great. It's even great at night.

Sorry to hear about the trespasser.

Did you see Mount Shasta in daylight? Was there snow on the top?

(That's my last question, I promise :) )

Can you tell I love the CS? ;)

Are you sure it is a "trespasser"? could be a pedestrian on a grade crossing?

Trespasser. The incident occurred at or near Drawbridge, which Coast Starlighters know well -- the cool, "sunken ghost town" jut north of Alviso/south of Fremont between Oakland JLS and San Jose Diridon. Remote, difficult to access except via train tracks. This didn't get much (if any) coverage in local media, but it seems to me like we've had a busier than usual year for ped/trespasser incidents in the Bay Area this year...Caltrain, the Caps/CS/UP freights seem to record one just about every week.

Did you see Mount Shasta in daylight? Was there snow on the top?

(That's my last question, I promise :) )

Can you tell I love the CS? ;)
Yeah, it crossed my mind you had a slight interest in the CS. :lol:

The trestle was most impressive. I wasn't even aware there was a trestle there. Of course all my previous CS trips had been during the night when it was dark and I was asleep anyway. And the view along the river between Redding and Dunsmuir was beautiful. I did see Mt. Shasta, as it was perfectly clear and there were still patches of snow on top.

I think that covers everything. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back