Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

California Zephyr Trip report. 6 from emy to chi departing emy 8/21.

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Steve4031

Steve4031

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,465 posts
  • Interests:Riding Trains Often!!

Posted 21 August 2018 - 10:56 AM

Flew out from Chicago 8/20 On United. Booked this trip at the last minute. Was lucky to get a roomette for $487. It is roomette 20 in the 640 car. The flights out of Chicago were delayed because of thunderstorms. I arrived at the hgi Emeryville at 2 am. Got up at 7 am, ate breakfast and caught the 8:10 am shuttle to emy.

Waited outside by the tracks. Then at 8:35 an Amtrak employee lined up all of the sleeping car passengers. Since I happened to be the closest to him he made me the leader. He instructed me to lead all the sleeping car pax down the platform to stand next to a white sign. Once we reached the designated area the train pulled in. The conductor was at the door to the 640 car. He quickly scanned my ticket and sent me upstairs.

The sca sharlene makes a good first impression. Attached File  IMG_1534866954.918695.jpg   1.89MB   17 downloads
  • Misty., seat38a and cpotisch like this

#2 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,078 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 21 August 2018 - 11:04 AM

Flew out from Chicago 8/20 On United. Booked this trip at the last minute. Was lucky to get a roomette for $487. It is roomette 20 in the 640 car. The flights out of Chicago were delayed because of thunderstorms. I arrived at the hgi Emeryville at 2 am. Got up at 7 am, ate breakfast and caught the 8:10 am shuttle to emy.

Waited outside by the tracks. Then at 8:35 an Amtrak employee lined up all of the sleeping car passengers. Since I happened to be the closest to him he made me the leader. He instructed me to lead all the sleeping car pax down the platform to stand next to a white sign. Once we reached the designated area the train pulled in. The conductor was at the door to the 640 car. He quickly scanned my ticket and sent me upstairs.

The sca sharlene makes a good first impression. attachicon.gifIMG_1534866954.918695.jpg

Well done Sharlene!

dhMeAzK.gif

Edited by cpotisch, 21 August 2018 - 11:11 AM.

• Steve4031 likes this

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#3 Steve4031

Steve4031

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,465 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 11:16 AM

On time departure from emy.

#4 Steve4031

Steve4031

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,465 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 12:29 PM

Sharlene is definitely a winner. Came by and visited with each passenger. She saw I had put the seats down to nap and offered to make the bed. When I said I was ok she offered to put a sheet down. Classy. She explained everything in a personable way.

We sat at Martinez for a few minutes, pulled out of the station and then stopped for a while. I was half dozing so I think it was about 20 minutes.
  • Railroad Bill, Misty., seat38a and 1 other like this

#5 Steve4031

Steve4031

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,465 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 04:17 PM

Lunch in the diner was a classic. Three great table companions with great conversation. We enjoyed the view out of Colfax. I enjoyed the macaroni and cheese. Dessert choices were crepe brûlée, chocolate cake, cheesecake. Did not ask about mussels. Nor did I hear anyone order them.
  • Misty. and cpotisch like this

#6 Steve4031

Steve4031

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,465 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 05:35 PM

Sharlene is definitely one of the top scas. Came through the 640 car to make sure we had our doors open for dinner reservations. Mine was open. I do not want to miss it like I did last fall.

Wondering if I am going to get questioned by Reno’s not so finest Dunkin Donut eating keystone cops. I fit there profile. Bought a one way ticket at last minute.

Edited by Steve4031, 21 August 2018 - 05:41 PM.

#7 Steve4031

Steve4031

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,465 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 05:38 PM

Attached File  IMG_1534891110.554041.jpg   1.85MB   15 downloads

Classic.
  • Misty., Maglev and cpotisch like this

#8 Steve4031

Steve4031

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,465 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 06:13 PM

Interesting: I went downstairs to get off and stretch my legs. The door to the 640 car was closed so I decided to go to next car to get off. Then somebody from the outside opened the door. Two plainclothes police officers boarded and one had a manifest. I stepped aside and got off to walk on the platform. There were no Amtrak crew members by the door.

The next conductor arrived and I told him the police had opened the door. I didn’t want him thinking I had opened it. He said that was ok and went on his business.

I was never approached so I don’t know who they wanted. I wonder what they do if the passengers they are looking for are not in their rooms.
  • Misty. likes this

#9 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,078 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 06:58 PM

Lunch in the diner was a classic. Three great table companions with great conversation. We enjoyed the view out of Colfax. I enjoyed the macaroni and cheese. Dessert choices were crepe brûlée, chocolate cake, cheesecake. Did not ask about mussels. Nor did I hear anyone order them.

Sounds like a new menu. Are we talking about the microwaved mac n' cheese on the kids menu, or actual decent mac n' cheese for adults?

• Misty. likes this

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#10 crescent-zephyr

crescent-zephyr

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 07:16 PM

I make sure to never be in my room when stopping at Reno or Albuquerque. Once when returning to my room on the Chief, I heard the passengers in the Roomette across from me complaining to the attendant about the questioning.

Glad you're having a great time! I love the zephyr so much.

Amtrak: - Coast Starlight*, Pacific Surfliner, San Joaquin*, Cascades*, Empire Builder*, California Zephyr*, Southwest Chief*, City of New Orleans*, River Cities, Illinois Zephyr*, Wolverine, Cardinal, Capitol Limited*, Lake Shore Limited, Downeaster, Acela Express*, Crescent*, Carolinian*, Silver Star*, Silver Meteor*, Maple Leaf* Texas Eagle.

VIA: - Canadian*

Iowa Pacific - Hoosier State*, and City of New Orleans Pullman*.   

#11 v v

v v

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 08:19 PM

Starting to sound like a thriller...

#12 Steve4031

Steve4031

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,465 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 08:28 PM

Sounds like a new menu. Are we talking about the microwaved mac n' cheese on the kids menu, or actual decent mac n' cheese for adults?

It’s the same menu. No pecan pie. Attached File  IMG_1534901274.958077.jpg   1.58MB   12 downloads

#13 Steve4031

Steve4031

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,465 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 08:36 PM

We are 30 plus minutes early into Winnemucca. Dinner was excellent. Good diner companions again. The other server is good too.

#14 Steve4031

Steve4031

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,465 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 04:52 AM

A great night’s sleep. UP installed concrete ties several years ago and the ride is very smooth.

I showered in Salt Lake City. Much easier when train is not moving. We departed on time.

Edited by Steve4031, 22 August 2018 - 04:53 AM.

• Misty. likes this

#15 OBS

OBS

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 06:56 AM

Glad you are enjoying your trip!

#16 Steve4031

Steve4031

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,465 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 08:23 AM

Diner opened a bit late. But crew is still friendly. Ate breakfast with a view.

There has been lots of rain. Flash flood alerts. Standing water At helper. So different views today.

Attached File  IMG_1534944117.487135.jpg   1.47MB   11 downloads

#17 CAMISSY55

CAMISSY55

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 09:02 AM

Great reporting, Steve! And so timely. I just booked the CZ (SAC-CHI) for travel in early December. Some of the great scenery will be missed because of shorter days at that time of year, but your posts are giving me a wonderful preview of what to expect.

Thanks!

Edited by CAMISSY55, 22 August 2018 - 09:03 AM.

• Steve4031 likes this

#18 Steve4031

Steve4031

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,465 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 10:41 AM

There is more to come! Lol.

Arriving into Grand Junction about 14 minutes early. Time to get salty snacks at the store in the station.Attached File  IMG_1534952715.520837.jpg   1.65MB   11 downloads

Edited by Steve4031, 22 August 2018 - 10:45 AM.

• Misty. and Mystic River Dragon like this

#19 Steve4031

Steve4031

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,465 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 12:42 PM

Attached File  IMG_1534959734.851537.jpg   1.58MB   13 downloads

Just enjoying it. Nuff said.

#20 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,078 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 12:48 PM

attachicon.gifIMG_1534959734.851537.jpg

Just enjoying it. Nuff said.

So jealous.

• Steve4031 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users