Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Special locomotives on San Joanquin?

55 replies to this topic

#41 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,076 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 14 June 2018 - 08:22 AM

Hey all. I am still hoping for a special / rare locomotive on the San Joaquin. If anyone has any info on where any locomotive is, like an Amtrak California dash 8 or a special phase p42, then please post it in this chat.

There are six special Genesis locomotives in the fleet - #156, #130, #145, #184, and #822 (the last two are the "Veterans" P42 and the Phase III P40). Then you have the two Amtrak California Dash 8s. As I understand it, the Genesises only run on the San Joaquins when there is a shortage of California locomotives, which there currently doesn't seem to be. But even if a "Genie" did end up on the San Joaquin, you'd still have to hope that out of the 202 P42s and P40s on the roster, it was using one of those six. And that's not to mention the fact that it's a commuter train which runs so frequently that it's hard to figure out what consist is in use for what particular train.

I can tell you that if anyone here knows when a special loco will be operating on the San Joaquin, they will most likely post it, but I just wouldn't get my hopes up.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#42 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,076 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 08:23 AM

Here are four threads on AU that follow the whereabouts of the anniversary locomotives. Hopefully that's some help.

I do want to emphasize that you can check those threads for updates on the four Anniversary P42s, since anyone who has any notable info is very likely to post it there. :)

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#43 BCL

BCL

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,642 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 01:17 PM

Hey all. I am still hoping for a special / rare locomotive on the San Joaquin. If anyone has any info on where any locomotive is, like an Amtrak California dash 8 or a special phase p42, then please post it in this chat.

There are six special Genesis locomotives in the fleet - #156, #130, #145, #184, and #822 (the last two are the "Veterans" P42 and the Phase III P40). Then you have the two Amtrak California Dash 8s. As I understand it, the Genesises only run on the San Joaquins when there is a shortage of California locomotives, which there currently doesn't seem to be. But even if a "Genie" did end up on the San Joaquin, you'd still have to hope that out of the 202 P42s and P40s on the roster, it was using one of those six. And that's not to mention the fact that it's a commuter train which runs so frequently that it's hard to figure out what consist is in use for what particular train.

I can tell you that if anyone here knows when a special loco will be operating on the San Joaquin, they will most likely post it, but I just wouldn't get my hopes up.

I remember the 2012 derailment of the San Joaquin when a truck just plowed into the train at 50 MPH at a crossing.  The photos clearly showed a Genesis.

https://www.usatoday...ig-rig/1606941/

amtrakderail-16_9.jpg

Other photos showed it was locomotive #94.  How it managed to stay up at that angle was pretty remarkable.

#44 Guest_X_*

Guest_X_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2018 - 10:42 PM

Being that it's a corridor train and now that there are enough California locomotives to cover it.

In theory.

#45 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,296 posts
  • Interests:-Amtrak
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 14 June 2018 - 10:58 PM

In theory none of the California or North Carolina corridor trains should be pulling from the national network fleet any more. The Midwest might have a few non Charger runs left. But there can't be that many remaining.
View my pictures at http://trainboy1.rrpicturearchives.net
Amtrak Routes I've riden: Silver Star(NYP-ORL), Silver Meteor(KIS-NYP),Carolinian(CLT-NWK), Palmetto (FLO-NYP), Acela(WAS-NYP), NE Regional(WBG-RVR), Pacific Surfliner(SAN-OSD), Piedmont(CLT-SAL), Crescent(NYP-CLT), Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Cascade (PDX-SEA)
Steam Engines I've worked behind: Norfolk & Western No. 611; Nickel Plate Road No. 765; Southern Pacific No. 4449

#46 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2018 - 09:10 PM

Wow! Thanks for all the support guys! I know you guys will keep me updated with the latest "news" on the San Joaquin. 👍🏼👍🏼

#47 PerRock

PerRock

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Rail, Auran Trainz, Traveling, Graphic Design

Posted 16 June 2018 - 07:01 AM

The site https://heritageunits.com/tracks all the special locomotives railroads use, it's user updated so still isn't 100% accurate; but should give you an idea of where things are. You can also sign up for email alerts when things are near you.

peter

• cpotisch likes this
Given the choice; I fly Amtrak.

http://www.amtraktrainz.com

#48 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2018 - 02:40 PM

Thanks for that link!!

#49 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2018 - 05:11 PM

You guys were saying there is no need for p42 locos on the San Joaquin because there are enough Amtrak California locos right????

#50 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,076 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 05:15 PM

You guys were saying there is no need for p42 locos on the San Joaquin because there are enough Amtrak California locos right????

Yep.

Edited by cpotisch, 16 June 2018 - 05:17 PM.

#51 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2018 - 05:21 PM

Well, I just saw 717 with a p42 #60

#52 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,076 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 05:28 PM

[quote name="Guest" post="759472" timestamp="1529187712"]Well, I just saw 717 with a p42 #60[/quote]
Well it seems like that train needed a P42.

#53 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2018 - 05:36 PM

Oh. Well then okay

#54 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,076 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 06:42 PM

My point is that if a train needs a loco, and they don’t have an Amtrak Cali one on hand, it might end up with the P42. It’s not that common but it happens.

#55 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,440 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 16 June 2018 - 08:16 PM

How often do you think that it occurs?
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#56 FrensicPic

FrensicPic

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,564 posts
  • Interests:Trains, photography and radio communications...not necessarily in that order.

Posted 16 June 2018 - 09:47 PM

My point is that if a train needs a loco, and they don’t have an Amtrak Cali one on hand, it might end up with the P42. It’s not that common but it happens.

It's changing now with the delivery of the new locomotives but, it was not unusual to see a P42 on their trains. It is still pretty common to see a P42 on the Pacific Surfliner as none of the new locomotives are in revenue service yet.

• crescent2 and cpotisch like this

John...

29,076 miles on the Coast Starlight, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, Southwest Chief, Empire Builder, California Zephyr and Capitol Limited.

5540 miles booked for this fall on the Sunset Limited, City of New Orleans, Illini/Saluki, Southwest Chief.

More miles on the Pacific Surfliner, Metrolink, White Pass and Yukon Route, Grand Canyon Railway, Napa Valley Wine Train, Fillmore and Western and private railcars with LARail.com

Photos: http://www.flickr.co...rensicpic/sets/

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users