Florida Route Options?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rail Freak

Engineer
My home station is STP. When searching for route options to go out west, I've noticed that many times, STP - X station have less options than WPK - X station. Ex. destination PDX. Why is this, after all, STP & WPK are the same train to WAS???

As the SM also stops at WPK, your train (the SS) may have less options due to differences in arrival times up north of about 6 hours?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sometimes certain routings do not appear as options for unusual city pairs. If you want to travel on one of those routings it can be booked on a multi-city ticket. I did this last month when travelling Tampa-Chicago via Orlando and New York.

Sometimes, not all of the options show up on line. You could phone an agent to see if the routing that you prefer is available (and the cost). I cannot see why all the routings from WPK could not be routed from STP (via the Amtrak bus).

They’ve been known to have missed a few. If you do call, you might suggest the agent let his/her supervisor know Nd hopefully the info will get passed onto the appropriate person for input.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

For some unknown reason, 6-8 months ago, the Amtrak web site has stopped 'offering' some of the routings from Springfield MA and Windsor Locks CT to Chicago that it used to. Both the Capitol Limited and the Cardinal are no longer listed as options. The Capitol Limited routing through WAS is usually $100 or more less than the Lake Shore Ltd options. Taking the Pennsylvanian to meet the CL in PGH saves even more money. So, to 'beat them at their own game', I simply click the 'multi city' option and book each segment individually.

Back