Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Westmoreland Appointment to Amtrak Board

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#41 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,923 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted Yesterday, 07:03 AM

What long straightways south of DC do you speak of? Inquiring minds want to know. Or was this all just in jest? ;)

#42 Ziv

Ziv

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:24 AM

When I rode the Crescent it seemed like most of the trackage between DC and Atlanta was straighter than the NE Regional from DC to Boston. More so in VA than in the Carolinas, but it seemed like there were more straightaways on the Crescent.  There were tight spots between DC and Atlanta, but they seemed to be less frequent than on the NE Regional.  I could be way wrong, I only rode them once each, but that is what I remember.

#43 Ziv

Ziv

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:38 AM

To move even further into "it will never happen" territory, if you had to buy/trade land to straighten the track, it would cost a lost less to do so south of Richmond, as opposed to trying to do it on the NEC.    LOL!

Yeah, I know, never gonna happen.

It would be cool if it could though, because it gets you two birds with one stone. You could possibly extend the life of the healthiest/least worn out half of the Acela fleet AND you could extend the relatively high speed section of the Amtrak network by 600+ miles.

On edit: And I am not sure if the stations between DC and Atlanta have level boarding. Probably not, if memory serves. So that is one more problem I didn't think about.

Edited by Ziv, Yesterday, 07:49 AM.

#44 dlagrua

dlagrua

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,740 posts
  • Interests:Car collecting, Train Travel, Model RR, Visiting Historical sights, Cooking, Antiques, but above all love for friends and family.

Posted Yesterday, 08:38 AM

Getting back to the appointment of Westmoreland, I don't think that the sky is falling or that Amtrak will be out of business anytime soon.  Westmoreland is just another political shill that uses the system. Point is that if Amtrak goes down, he's out of the Ivory Tower.  How good or bad for the system he will be remains to be seen.

Edited by dlagrua, Yesterday, 08:38 AM.

#45 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,134 posts
  • Interests:Travel by Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Posted Yesterday, 10:18 AM

Given the fact that the POTUS is a populist, not a conservative, you never know what he will back or oppose.

It's true you never know what Trump will say next, but most of what he has actually done is easily predicted with a simple concept called Inverse Obama. All that fleeting populist talk about big government spending on modernized infrastructure and high speed rail has gone absolutely nowhere.  Instead he's advocated reducing revenue and draining civilian funding in order to dump even more money on the world's most expensive military.

Getting back to the appointment of Westmoreland, I don't think that the sky is falling or that Amtrak will be out of business anytime soon.  Westmoreland is just another political shill that uses the system. Point is that if Amtrak goes down, he's out of the Ivory Tower.  How good or bad for the system he will be remains to be seen.

Who said the sky was falling or that Amtrak would be out of business?  My concern is that with executives like this Amtrak service will continue to deteriorate and eventually turn away all but the most ardent supporters.

We've got provisions and lots of beer. The key word is survival on the new frontier. 

#46 A Voice

A Voice

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:28 AM

Who said the sky was falling or that Amtrak would be out of business?  My concern is that with executives like this Amtrak service will continue to deteriorate and eventually turn away all but the most ardent supporters.

So, with few exceptions, that makes it pretty much business as usual for Amtrak since 1971.  

#47 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,134 posts
  • Interests:Travel by Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Posted Yesterday, 02:59 PM

So, with few exceptions, that makes it pretty much business as usual for Amtrak since 1971. 

Yes, I'm concerned that Amtrak will continue to limp on down the tracks like a blind hobo on crutches. I've never fully understood why pointing out Amtrak's history of operational impotence was considered some sort of profound insight.  Just because it's always been on life support doesn't mean I don't want it to improve (or reinvent itself or make way for something better).

Edited by Devil's Advocate, Yesterday, 03:19 PM.

We've got provisions and lots of beer. The key word is survival on the new frontier. 

#48 tricia

tricia

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:02 PM

Yes, I'm concerned that Amtrak will continue to limp on down the tracks like a blind hobo on crutches.  I've never fully understood why pointing out Amtrak's history of operational impotence was considered some sort of profound insight.

Love that image. Sad it's so apt.

#49 west point

west point

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,192 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:37 PM

Level boarding south of WASH ?  Even the platforms for going south at WASH are low.  Now south of WASH ?  Do not remember if the interior platforms at Richmond  main street  (RVM)  were high level or not ?  The new Raleigh station high level or future HSR platforms high level ?  Roanoke starting Oct 31 are high level.  New Charlotte station planned do not know if high level  ?  The new Miami  (MIC) station high level ? 

Edited by west point, Yesterday, 03:39 PM.

#50 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,923 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:40 PM

You know, this whole discussion about South of Washington has nothing to do with Westmoreland. Why are you carrying on with it here?

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

#51 Ziv

Ziv

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:04 PM

Because it is more interesting than talking about a political hack like Westmoreland? And that said hack might, possibly, have an interest in sending a little consideration to his former constituents, who are South of Washington. And that this possibility would make Amtrak a bit more fun? Stranger things have happened.

I have no idea how expensive it would be to extend Acela refurb'ed trainsets south of DC, but given the relative youth of the trainsets, (17 years) it isn't impossible that they could refurb some of them and keep them running if the expense of doing so wasn't too great.

It ain't gonna happen, but it is fun to think of what might be.

You know, this whole discussion about South of Washington has nothing to do with Westmoreland. Why are you carrying on with it here?

#52 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,490 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted Yesterday, 09:11 PM

Because it is more interesting than talking about a political hack like Westmoreland?

Attached File  Screen Shot 2017-10-16 at 10.10.15 PM.png   13.34KB   3 downloads
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#53 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,923 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:20 PM

Because it is more interesting than talking about a political hack like Westmoreland? And that said hack might, possibly, have an interest in sending a little consideration to his former constituents, who are South of Washington. And that this possibility would make Amtrak a bit more fun? Stranger things have happened.
I have no idea how expensive it would be to extend Acela refurb'ed trainsets south of DC, but given the relative youth of the trainsets, (17 years) it isn't impossible that they could refurb some of them and keep them running if the expense of doing so wasn't too great.

It ain't gonna happen, but it is fun to think of what might be.

I thought you were smart enough to start a new topic. Well maybe not ;)

#54 west point

west point

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,192 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:02 PM

If some of our posters could access Westmoreland's letters to voters about Amtrak we might get a better idea..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users