Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Amfleet I Interior Refresh

• Please log in to reply
174 replies to this topic

#121 daybeers

daybeers

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Interests:Music, Singing, Computers, Stained Glass, Photography, Traveling, Running

Posted 13 November 2017 - 12:55 PM

Amtrak posted a timelapse video of the work being done on the cars: https://www.youtube....h?v=Jb0yBoBfOsQ

Amtrak travel so far: only 10,207 miles: Springfield Shuttle (12), Northeast Regional (25), Acela (1), Lake Shore Limited (2), Pennsylvanian (2), Capitol Limited (1)

Ambus mileage (3 trips): 108

Other rail transit: WMATA (~830 miles), Metra, CTA, MTA, MBTA, Metro-North

#122 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,455 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 01:14 PM

Not sure why the forum software didn't convert it to an inline video?

I really enjoy behind the scenes videos like this.

Has Amtrak ever partnered with anyone to make an hour-long documentary type show?

#123 Acela150

Acela150

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,196 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 04:52 PM

For those of you on Instagram. Amtrak posted some short videos and photos on their “story line”. Which is similar to Snapchat.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum
These posts are my views and opinions.

Donate your spare time! Be a Volunteer Firefighter!

"Mainline 66W Recrew On Board at Abrams ready to head east when you can handle us, Ok 66W, ok on signal indication at Norris, take it to the Falls to wait for the window"

#124 daybeers

daybeers

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Interests:Music, Singing, Computers, Stained Glass, Photography, Traveling, Running

Posted 26 November 2017 - 03:44 PM

I'm riding in a refreshed Amfleet I car #82545 today on NER #149 from NHV-WAS. The new seats are very nice. You don't sink into them the way you did in the old seats. These also provide some nice lumbar support. I believe the carpet is new too, and the LED lighting is installed. My only complaint is the headrests on the new seats are a little bit taller than the old ones, so you can't see as much when you're trying to look out the window. I'm willing to sacrifice that for comfier seats, though. There aren't too many places of good scenery on the NEC anyway.

Amtrak travel so far: only 10,207 miles: Springfield Shuttle (12), Northeast Regional (25), Acela (1), Lake Shore Limited (2), Pennsylvanian (2), Capitol Limited (1)

Ambus mileage (3 trips): 108

Other rail transit: WMATA (~830 miles), Metra, CTA, MTA, MBTA, Metro-North

#125 VAtrainfan

VAtrainfan

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Interests:Travel (by air or rail or highway), roller coasters

Posted 28 November 2017 - 04:09 PM

I'm riding #84 in two weeks NFK-PHL. Considering Norfolk is one of the places they're doing the work I guess it's a safe bet I'll get one of the refurb cars.

#126 Acela150

Acela150

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,196 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 04:41 PM

I'm riding #84 in two weeks NFK-PHL. Considering Norfolk is one of the places they're doing the work I guess it's a safe bet I'll get one of the refurb cars.

No it’s not. I think about 50 of at least 400 plus cars have been overhauled.

"Mainline 66W Recrew On Board at Abrams ready to head east when you can handle us, Ok 66W, ok on signal indication at Norris, take it to the Falls to wait for the window"

#127 mfastx

mfastx

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 05:04 PM

Rode one of these last night (twss).  It was pretty nice, but the seat back was not totally stationary when reclined and my seat bottom was disconnected.  Was hoping they'd also address the seats themselves. 

#128 keelhauled

keelhauled

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 05:08 PM

I rode a half dozen corridor trains during Thanksgiving week and each train but the Vermonter had at least one car with the new seats. I thought they were a noticeable improvement with better lower back support particularly.

Go on, raise the flag, I got stars in my eyes...I'm in love with her and I won't apologize.

#129 Acela150

Acela150

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,196 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 06:22 PM

Quick news piece from Balmer. 

#130 Ziv

Ziv

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 10:59 AM

I am not at all saying they are the same thing, but in early 1800's, a process was developed to tear up old wool garments and re-spun into new wool products, in theory kind of like the re-use of waste leather in E-leather. The people that invented the older wool recycled product and the ones that used it made tons of money but the product wasn't received all that well. The product name was "shoddy". That recycled product didn't turn out so well and ended up being synonymous with poor quality!  ;-)

My mind is a veritable treasure trove of useless trivia, much of it of dubious provenance.

It is E-Leather which is a trademarked Composition Leather product which uses waste leather that would otherwise have been disposed off as garbage. Look up either of those terms for more details.

#131 Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,141 posts
  • Interests:Sleeping

Posted 06 December 2017 - 11:13 AM

Thats interesting. I remember reading a Pullman Company blanket procurement from the early 1900s specifically indicating that the product must contain no shoddy. I had hypothesized it must of had a different meaning but I never knew what.

Edited by Green Maned Lion, 06 December 2017 - 11:13 AM.

Travelled: Broadway Limited (1), Lake Shore Limited (6), Capitol Limited (7), Empire Builder (1), Southwest Chief (2), Sunset Limited (1), California Zephyr (3), Coast Starlight (2), Silver Meteor (5), Silver Star (5), Silver Palm (2), Crescent (1), Cardinal (4), Auto Train (4), Pennsylvanian (2), Palmetto (1), Acela Express (1), Empire Service (1), Northeast Regional (11), Keystone Service (1) --- Total Miles: 50,144 --- Total Trains: 61
Most important: Keep it Simple, Stupid!
Posted Image
Dream of love, dream of me, for you are my love. I love you.
Avatar and sig were done by my fiance, Corvidophile.

#132 quadrock

quadrock

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 01:09 AM

Does anyone know how many iterations of decor/seating the Amfleets went through over the years? I have included pictures of the few that I've either ridden in personally or seen in brochures. I think it would be really interesting to see a history of all the interiors these cares have been through. It's amazing that the oldest Amfleet Is are 42 years old already and they look as modern as they do with the latest refresh.

The ones I have come across either in person or via pictures I saw online are the following. Does anyone have any that I missed? I'm assuming there was something between the 1970s and the 199'0's red interior.

1975 - ? : The psychedelic 70's multicolored era as seen in the Amfleet brouchure. I am assuming that these were the original interiors the cars shipped with.

Brochure_Amfleet_April1976_coach.jpg

1990s - "red interior era". Not sure when this began but my first ever Amtrak trip (Silver Meteor) was in an Amfleet II featuring this interior. I remember this being the only red interior car on the train and thinking how modern all the other cars looked like compared to the one I was riding in.

3272b8e6-ac2c-4bb7-bb73-1d4032d4525f.jpe

early 2000s - 2017

The common blue interior that the majority of Amfleets still have.

27958210_ea56e09a11_b.jpg

2017 - ?

The new interiors that are currently being installed.

Amtrak-New-Coach-Class-1024x699.jpeg

Edited by quadrock, 18 December 2017 - 01:11 AM.

#133 Acela150

Acela150

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,196 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 01:42 AM

Last week I rode 66 from Philly to 128. Sadly I got stuck with a full BC car. BUT... It was a refreshed car. The seats were pretty comfy. But as stated previously they seat backs are higher giving you less of a view of the aisle. But overall it wasn't bad. The carpet has an interesting look, the wainscoting wasn't renewed yet along with the curtains which is fine. I think once some more rear ends sit in the seats they'll be a bit more plush and more comfortable. 

#134 Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,141 posts
  • Interests:Sleeping

Posted 18 December 2017 - 06:51 AM

I want the original interior back.
Travelled: Broadway Limited (1), Lake Shore Limited (6), Capitol Limited (7), Empire Builder (1), Southwest Chief (2), Sunset Limited (1), California Zephyr (3), Coast Starlight (2), Silver Meteor (5), Silver Star (5), Silver Palm (2), Crescent (1), Cardinal (4), Auto Train (4), Pennsylvanian (2), Palmetto (1), Acela Express (1), Empire Service (1), Northeast Regional (11), Keystone Service (1) --- Total Miles: 50,144 --- Total Trains: 61
Most important: Keep it Simple, Stupid!
Posted Image
Dream of love, dream of me, for you are my love. I love you.
Avatar and sig were done by my fiance, Corvidophile.

#135 VAtrainfan

VAtrainfan

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Interests:Travel (by air or rail or highway), roller coasters

Posted 19 December 2017 - 08:04 PM

Anyone notice anything familiar in all four photos?

The armrests. Complete with the ashtrays (now covered). They're exactly the same.

The structure of the seats, the chairs themselves, appear to be the original equipment (as repaired over the decades). Only the cushions have changed.

That speaks to the ability of Amtrak's maintenance folks to keep 40+ year old equipment viable. I guess when you've had to make do with nothing for so long, you get pretty good at it.

Does anyone know how many iterations of decor/seating the Amfleets went through over the years? I have included pictures of the few that I've either ridden in personally or seen in brochures. I think it would be really interesting to see a history of all the interiors these cares have been through. It's amazing that the oldest Amfleet Is are 42 years old already and they look as modern as they do with the latest refresh.

The ones I have come across either in person or via pictures I saw online are the following. Does anyone have any that I missed? I'm assuming there was something between the 1970s and the 199'0's red interior.

1975 - ? : The psychedelic 70's multicolored era as seen in the Amfleet brouchure. I am assuming that these were the original interiors the cars shipped with.
Brochure_Amfleet_April1976_coach.jpg

1990s - "red interior era". Not sure when this began but my first ever Amtrak trip (Silver Meteor) was in an Amfleet II featuring this interior. I remember this being the only red interior car on the train and thinking how modern all the other cars looked like compared to the one I was riding in.
3272b8e6-ac2c-4bb7-bb73-1d4032d4525f.jpe

early 2000s - 2017
The common blue interior that the majority of Amfleets still have.

27958210_ea56e09a11_b.jpg

2017 - ?
The new interiors that are currently being installed.
Amtrak-New-Coach-Class-1024x699.jpeg

#136 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,419 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 20 December 2017 - 08:09 AM

I want the original interior back.

Me too....

I liked the original flat ceiling better than than the 'sculptured plastic' that covered it....

Not shown in the first photo, are the center armrests between the seats, although the doll may be sitting on one....

Also, not shown, the overhead racks did not have those 'baffles' to prevent baggage from sliding forward in a hard stop....probably a good thing that they added....

I also liked the water faucets better in the original lav's....

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#137 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,668 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 20 December 2017 - 08:58 AM

Anyone notice anything familiar in all four photos?

The armrests. Complete with the ashtrays (now covered). They're exactly the same.

The structure of the seats, the chairs themselves, appear to be the original equipment (as repaired over the decades). Only the cushions have changed.

Anyone recall that we did say that is exactly what was going to happen for $15 million for the entire Amfleet I fleet? Besides Amtrak said so too! So no surprise there.

#138 dlagrua

dlagrua

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,849 posts
  • Interests:Car collecting, Train Travel, Model RR, Visiting Historical sights, Cooking, Antiques, but above all love for friends and family.

Posted 20 December 2017 - 10:48 AM

I have come to accept that any refurbishment of Amtrak seating is good.  We are not going to see new coaches or new seats anytime soon so new upholstery is an improvement, The will for fast modern European style passenger rail does not exist in Washington nor does it exists with the majority of the American people. My opinion is that most Americans view rail transportation only as a commuter necessity. If that were not the case we would have the rail network shown on the NARP proposal map.

#139 quadrock

quadrock

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 11:01 AM

It is indeed amazing that the chair structure itself is up to 42 years old and in as good of a condition as it's in. I really do not understand why Amtrak would have removed the center armrests. Every time I travel with someone that hasn't been on Amtrak, they comment on the lack of them. Acelas, NJ Transit's new multilevel cars, airliners, even most new buses have center armrests and as far as I know, most people prefer them.

#140 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,668 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 20 December 2017 - 11:10 AM

The seats in question never had center arm rests. It is not like they had them in the past and then were removed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users