Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Amfleet I Interior Refresh

• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

#1 districtRich

districtRich

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 12:07 PM

Looks like they'll be modernizing the interiors of the Amfleet I cars!  They are getting quite dated and run-down.

http://blog.amtrak.c...mfleet-refresh/

Acela (8)  California Zephyr (1)  Capitol Limited (7)  Cardinal (1)  Coast Starlight (1)  Crescent (1) • Empire Builder (1) • Northeast Regional (tons)  Pacific Surfliner (2) • Silver Meteor (2) Sunset Limited (1) Texas Eagle (2)  Wolverine (2)

#2 mlanoue

mlanoue

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 12:14 PM

Kind of reminds me of the Brightline designs I've seen online.  I'm glad they're doing it, but the grey looks kind of depressing to me.

#3 KmH

KmH

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,657 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy, photography

Posted 07 September 2017 - 12:24 PM

And hard to keep clean looking.

1963U. S. Congress - underground trolley system • Disneyland train (1968/various other dates) • Old Tucson steam train (1969)

Amtrak: California Zephyr Coast Starlight •  Southwest ChiefSunset LimitedTexas Eagle • Illinois Zephyr

. . . . . . . Amtrak miles - 16,383, so far.

#4 mfastx

mfastx

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 12:38 PM

Wonder when they're gonna finally start to repaint the exterior to match the new baggage/viewliner cars. 

#5 Blackwolf

Blackwolf

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts
  • Interests:Public Safety, passenger rail, travel, hunting, fishing

Posted 07 September 2017 - 12:42 PM

Fantastic.  Its about time.

Amtrak
Capitol Corridor (too many times to count!); Coast Starlight (x21); California Zephyr (x7); Empire Builder (x2); Lake Shore Limited (x4); Maple Leaf (x1); Adirondack (x2); Cascades (x1); Pacific Surfliner (x6); San Joaquin (x8); Capitol Limited (x1); Cardinal (x2); Acela (x1)
VIA Rail
Ocean (x4); Windsor Corridor (x2); The Canadian (x1)

#6 bretton88

bretton88

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 12:56 PM

This makes me happy. Amtrak's interiors where beginning to look tired. Looking at the Midwest routes listed, I wonder if they're refreshing some Horizon equipment too or just the business/cafe cars.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

If I won the lottery, I'd probably build a passenger from nowhere to nowhere.

#7 keelhauled

keelhauled

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 01:35 PM

Still no center armrests, even in business class.  Really?

Go on, raise the flag, I got stars in my eyes...I'm in love with her and I won't apologize.

#8 Steve4031

Steve4031

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,208 posts
  • Interests:Riding Trains Often!!

Posted 07 September 2017 - 01:48 PM

Didn't see any reference to hvac systems. If it's too hot or too cold inside these cars it's kind of like putting sugar on a turd. The superliner 1 sleeper upgrades were great until one rode in a car without AC in august.

#9 sicariis

sicariis

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 02:39 PM

Interested to see how this effects the Club Cafe seats which are quite different than the Amfleet I Coach and Business class seats. They have leg rests in addition to the footrests and the 2-1 layout.

Edited by sicariis, 07 September 2017 - 02:40 PM.

#10 PaulM

PaulM

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,111 posts
  • Interests:Bicycling, computer programming, website development, concert band, train travel

Posted 07 September 2017 - 03:09 PM

• Brand-new seat cushions
  • New carpeting
  • New LED reading lights
  • New bathroom flooring
  • Upgraded wainscoting and bulkhead
  • New curtains in Business Class cars
  • Redesigned galleys in the café cars

No mention of decreased seat pitch.  Does that mean that the introduction of steerage class, which was rumored a while back. require another ''refresh"?

#11 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,190 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 07 September 2017 - 03:30 PM

• Brand-new seat cushions
  • New carpeting
  • New LED reading lights
  • New bathroom flooring
  • Upgraded wainscoting and bulkhead
  • New curtains in Business Class cars
  • Redesigned galleys in the café cars

No mention of decreased seat pitch.  Does that mean that the introduction of steerage class, which was rumored a while back. require another ''refresh"?
Anderson explicitly said there will be no reduction in seat pitch during his CBS appearance.

#12 me_little_me

me_little_me

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,341 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 03:54 PM

Looks like they'll be modernizing the interiors of the Amfleet I cars!  They are getting quite dated and run-down.

"New bathroom flooring". How about cleaning them more than once a trip? Or better yet, install a self-cleaning system so all the attendant has to do is turn a key which locks the room until the automated cleaner is finished. I'm sure the attendant can manage that.

#13 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,245 posts
  • Interests:Travel by Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Posted 07 September 2017 - 04:16 PM

Good catch.  Amtrak seems to struggle with the concept of any sort of seat divider.  Leaving Business Class in the cold implies an amazing level of tone deafness.

Didn't see any reference to hvac systems. If it's too hot or too cold inside these cars it's kind of like putting sugar on a turd. The superliner 1 sleeper upgrades were great until one rode in a car without AC in august.

The Superliner upgrades didn't involve important issues like clumsy and outdated HVAC systems and poorly performing sewage plumbing.  Amtrak didn't even bother to finish the Superliner 1 fleet before ending the refurbishment program and calling it quits.

"New bathroom flooring". How about cleaning them more than once a trip? Or better yet, install a self-cleaning system so all the attendant has to do is turn a key which locks the room until the automated cleaner is finished. I'm sure the attendant can manage that.

I don't think any of the self cleaning bathroom systems have proven to be operationally practical and financially viable.  Some things are still cheaper and easier for a human to accomplish, unless it's a car attendant with too much ego/pride to touch anything below their perceived status.

Edited by Devil's Advocate, 07 September 2017 - 08:53 PM.

I used to be with ‘it,’ but then they changed what ‘it’ was. Now what I’m with isn’t ‘it,’ and what’s ‘it’ seems weird and scary.

#14 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,993 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 07:28 PM

Maybe I'm missing something, but that seems like a very small amount of money for that work on that may cars.

#15 sicariis

sicariis

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 09:28 PM

Im guessing reusing the seats with new cushions represents substantial cost savings.

Edited by sicariis, 07 September 2017 - 09:30 PM.

#16 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,993 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 09:58 PM

strip 62/72 seats, replace cushions and covers, remove and replace carpet, bathroom floors, lighting, bulkheads and trim for 36k seems pretty cheap

Edited by PVD, 08 September 2017 - 11:03 AM.

#17 Acela150

Acela150

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,049 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 01:01 AM

I'm not a fan of center armrests. Reminds me of being on an airliner, and since I'm a bigger guy that is just annoying and makes me uncomfortable. 

Total price tag is $16 million, which isn't a bad price tag and the time line is impressive as well. I'll guess that this may be because of Richard Anderson. But this project is needed. 

These posts are my views and opinions.

Donate your spare time! Be a Volunteer Firefighter!

"Mainline 66W Recrew On Board at Abrams ready to head east when you can handle us, Ok 66W, ok on signal indication at Norris, take it to the Falls to wait for the window"

#18 Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,757 posts
  • Interests:Sleeping

Posted 08 September 2017 - 06:45 AM

WIth every upgrade the cars get uglier and more monotone. I suggest we lobby for a return to their original color scheme.
Travelled: Broadway Limited (1), Lake Shore Limited (6), Capitol Limited (7), Empire Builder (1), Southwest Chief (2), Sunset Limited (1), California Zephyr (3), Coast Starlight (2), Silver Meteor (5), Silver Star (5), Silver Palm (2), Crescent (1), Cardinal (4), Auto Train (4), Pennsylvanian (2), Palmetto (1), Acela Express (1), Empire Service (1), Northeast Regional (11), Keystone Service (1) --- Total Miles: 50,144 --- Total Trains: 61
Most important: Keep it Simple, Stupid!
Posted Image
Dream of love, dream of me, for you are my love. I love you.
Avatar and sig were done by my fiance, Corvidophile.

#19 Mystic River Dragon

Mystic River Dragon

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 07:24 AM

Looks like something from a cheap bargain basement store trying to look like Brightline. From their picture, it looks like Brightline has center arm rests and a hand hold on the side of each seat, which the new Amfleet seats do not.

And I don't care how easy they are to clean, how soon before someone on the Northeast Regional puts their dirty sneakers on the seat and leaves black marks all over it, and someone else puts their dirty luggage that's been goodness knows where and scuffs it, or even a usually conscientious person accidentally spills their coffee on it? At least the blue had some (not much, but some) personality. This is just bland and is a reminder that Amfleet I is the bottom of the barrel in Amtrak's system.

Edited by Mystic River Dragon, 08 September 2017 - 07:25 AM.

#20 LookingGlassTie

LookingGlassTie

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 07:31 AM

I just hope it doesn't turn into another episode of "This is Why We Can't Have Nice Things".    :P

"And you know that notion just crossed my mind............"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users