• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 bowfran

bowfran

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 03:36 PM

I am now traveling North on Train 134 to New York City and the train is speeding like crazy! My husband and I have already used the word derailment twice in the last ten minutes. I take this train a lot and only one other time have I experienced this kind of speeding. It is terrifying. I can barely type this note because my phone is jumping around so much! Please stop! I want to get to NY in one piece! Fran Bowman 4:35 pm 8/11/17

#2 CCC1007

CCC1007

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 03:59 PM

Seems to be at Newark, DE at the moment, right on time, and seems to be following the speed limit, at least from afar analyzing the GPS data from the locomotive. Your train is allowed up to 125 MPH.

#3 RSG

RSG

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Interests:Travel, rail travel, libraries, current events

Posted 11 August 2017 - 04:47 PM

It also appears scheduled to arrive at NYP ten minutes early. Rare is the occasion when a complaint is made about an AMTK train going too fast...!

#4 Acela150

Acela150

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,910 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 04:56 PM

I'm trying desperately to not laugh. 

You're on the NEC. Trains are moving on it. 

Update: I just laughed

These posts are my views and opinions.

Donate your spare time! Be a Volunteer Firefighter!

"Mainline 66W Recrew On Board at Abrams ready to head east when you can handle us, Ok 66W, ok on signal indication at Norris, take it to the Falls to wait for the window"

#5 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Committee Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,257 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 05:15 PM

Don't look out the window and the train will slow down....perspective wise

2011: Jun: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER) // Nov: WIL=>WAS=>CHI=>PRO (NER=>CL=>CZ)
2012: Apr: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER) // May(NTD): WIL=>PHL=>WIL (NER) / PHL=>PAO=>PHL (Keystone) // Aug: WIL=>WAS (NER) / BWI=>WIL (NER) // Oct(Gathering): PHL=>WIL (NER) / PHL=>HAR=>PHL (Keystone) / SEPTA, NJT, PATCO, River Line, Princeton Dinky
2013: May(NTD): WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER)  // Oct (Gathering): WIL=>CHI (Card) / CHI=>MKE=>GLN=>CHI() / CHI=>JOL=>CHI () / CHI=>WIL(CL=>NER) / CTA, Metra. SEPTA (WIL=>NRK) // Nov:  PHL=>PHL (Autumn Express) 
2014: May(NTD):  WIL=>PHL=>WIL(NER) // May:  WIL=>BOS=>WIL(NER) day trip

2014: Oct(Gathering): WIL=>NYP=>TOL(pd-NER=>LSL) / TOL=>CHI=>LAX=>EMY(pts-LSL=>SWC=>CS) / EMY=>CHI=>TOL (pts-CZ-CL) / TOL=>WAS=>WIL(pd-CL=>NER)
2015: May: CHI=>CIN(pd-Card) / CIN=>WIL(pts Card)
2015;  Oct(Gathering):  WIL=>WAS(Acela) / ALX=>WAS(NER) / WAS=>BAL(Acela) / WAS=>WIL(NER)

2016: Mar: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER)  // Oct:  WIL=>NYP=>NYP=>WIL (Autumn Express) 

#6 SarahZ

SarahZ

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,961 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, baking, local history, urban exploration, music, dancing, and looking for new adventures

Posted 11 August 2017 - 05:57 PM

Oh my god... :D

Edited by SarahZ, 11 August 2017 - 05:58 PM.

Amtrak Miles: 39,318

Amtrak Routes: Blue Water, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Carl Sandburg, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Empire Builder, Hiawatha, Illinois Zephyr, Lincoln Service, Southwest Chief, Texas Eagle, Wolverine

Metropolitan Rail: Chicago Metra, Chicago L, Dallas TRE, Detroit People Mover, New Orleans RTA, San Francisco MUNI, Seattle Monorail, South Shore Line (NICTD), Toronto Subway & RT, Washington DC Metro

#7 LookingGlassTie

LookingGlassTie

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 06:01 PM

Make sure you have good "sea legs"!      :)

"And you know that notion just crossed my mind............"

#8 ehbowen

ehbowen

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 08:00 PM

Maybe we can arrange to detour you into single-track territory, then have you go "in the hole" to be passed by three or four long freight trains, one of whose crew will "go dead" blocking your only way out of the siding until a jeep can be called out to drive fifteen miles through the underbrush from the nearest crossing to relieve the crew. Then, perhaps, you'll have a proper appreciation of what travel on Amtrak is like outside of the Northeast Corridor....

broadside-1.jpg 16 inch Armor Piercing...When you care enough to send the very, VERY best!
Visit Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables from the Streamliner era.

#9 MattW

MattW

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 09:31 PM

I hope they come back and tell us if the train derailed or not, I'm burning to know.

Forum's official broken record about expanded Georgia passenger service!

#10 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,396 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 11 August 2017 - 09:35 PM

giphy.gif
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#11 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 09:45 PM

You are on the NEC where the trains go 125 mph or higher everyday, every NEC train goes this fast. I have traveled between WAS and NYP many times as have many of the forum members. We can all state the speed is normal and extremely safe. Every train is monitored for safety.

Trains Traveled On:
Texas Eagle                                      Sunset Limited                            California Zephyr                                Southwest Chief                Empire Builder            Capitol Limited           Lake Shore limited (NYP & BOS)      Crescent
Kentucky Cardinal                             Cardinal                                       Pere Marquette                                  Wolverines                        Lincoln Service            Empire Service          Keystone Service                               Acelas
NE Regionals                                    Pioneer                                        Desert Wind                                       Broadway Limited             Three Rivers                 Coast Starlight                          

Amtrak Miles Logged: over 211,000

#12 keelhauled

keelhauled

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 10:43 PM

I hope they come back and tell us if the train derailed or not, I'm burning to know.

I sure hope not, otherwise I'm like to have a very long night here at NYP waiting for 66.

Go on, raise the flag, I got stars in my eyes...I'm in love with her and I won't apologize.

#13 anumberone

anumberone

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 01:49 AM

I guess Fran made it to her destination.

Edited by anumberone, 12 August 2017 - 01:50 AM.

#14 John Bobinyec

John Bobinyec

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,381 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 05:19 AM

It's not the speed per se, it's the condition of the track in conjunction with the speed.  I've gone through some interlockings on the NEC where I've been amazed at how rough it was (several years ago)

Also, last year, we hit some track going from NYP to the south where we seemed to hit a harmonic frequency where the trucks would hunt one way and then the other.  It was very rough.  Then a little farther down the line we hit track that was as smooth as glass.

jb

Edited by John Bobinyec, 12 August 2017 - 05:23 AM.

LDS Been On:

Old: Phoebe Snow (EL), Montrealer (AT), Laurentian (D&H)

RBBB: St. Petersburg - W. Palm Beach, Lakeland - Atlanta, Baltimore - NYC, Rochester, NY - Hartford, Albuquerque - Salt Lake City, Denver - Chicago

Modern: Ocean (VIA), Silver Star, Capitol Limited, Texas Eagle, Autotrain, Carolinian, Southwest Chief, California Zephyr, Lake Shore Limited

#15 RSG

RSG

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Interests:Travel, rail travel, libraries, current events

Posted 12 August 2017 - 05:51 AM

I guess Fran made it to her destination.

And yet with all that zipping along, it still ended up being 7 minutes late. :angry:

#16 Steve4031

Steve4031

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,095 posts
  • Interests:Riding Trains Often!!

Posted 12 August 2017 - 06:31 AM

This is probably click bait being done to stir us up. It's the OPs first post.

#17 Fred Wis.

Fred Wis.

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 08:38 AM

OMG, best thread in months, laughing so hard it hurts...

#18 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Committee Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,257 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 08:43 AM

If it was, it was a major fail based on the responses.  Doesn't appear anyone was "stirred up".

2011: Jun: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER) // Nov: WIL=>WAS=>CHI=>PRO (NER=>CL=>CZ)
2012: Apr: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER) // May(NTD): WIL=>PHL=>WIL (NER) / PHL=>PAO=>PHL (Keystone) // Aug: WIL=>WAS (NER) / BWI=>WIL (NER) // Oct(Gathering): PHL=>WIL (NER) / PHL=>HAR=>PHL (Keystone) / SEPTA, NJT, PATCO, River Line, Princeton Dinky
2013: May(NTD): WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER)  // Oct (Gathering): WIL=>CHI (Card) / CHI=>MKE=>GLN=>CHI() / CHI=>JOL=>CHI () / CHI=>WIL(CL=>NER) / CTA, Metra. SEPTA (WIL=>NRK) // Nov:  PHL=>PHL (Autumn Express) 
2014: May(NTD):  WIL=>PHL=>WIL(NER) // May:  WIL=>BOS=>WIL(NER) day trip

2014: Oct(Gathering): WIL=>NYP=>TOL(pd-NER=>LSL) / TOL=>CHI=>LAX=>EMY(pts-LSL=>SWC=>CS) / EMY=>CHI=>TOL (pts-CZ-CL) / TOL=>WAS=>WIL(pd-CL=>NER)
2015: May: CHI=>CIN(pd-Card) / CIN=>WIL(pts Card)
2015;  Oct(Gathering):  WIL=>WAS(Acela) / ALX=>WAS(NER) / WAS=>BAL(Acela) / WAS=>WIL(NER)

2016: Mar: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER)  // Oct:  WIL=>NYP=>NYP=>WIL (Autumn Express) 

#19 TrackWalker

TrackWalker

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Interests:Retired Professional TrackWalker

Posted 12 August 2017 - 08:52 AM

... Doesn't appear anyone was "stirred up".

Personally, I was shaken, not stirred.

Edited by TrackWalker, 12 August 2017 - 08:53 AM.

#20 Everydaymatters

Everydaymatters

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts
  • Interests:Travel, antiques, reading, pinochle, grandkids

Posted 12 August 2017 - 09:00 AM

I'm wondering if the OP might have been seriously scared and hoping someone could somehow put a stop to the train.  Maybe she was really terrified.

Just another point of view.

Routes Traveled: Desert Wind, Southwest Chief, Missouri Mule, Empire Builder, Capitol Ltd., Lincoln Service, Lake Shore Ltd., Missouri River Runner, City of New Orleans, Cardinal, Silver Meteor, Texas Eagle, Cascades, Broadway Ltd., Acela, Downeaster, Sunset Ltd., Coast Starlight, California Zephyr, Hiawatha, Capitol Corridor, Maple Leaf   74,291 Amtrak miles.  Via Rail Vancouver to Toronto 2775 Miles.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users