Photo

Which trains going east of Chicago have sightseer lounges?

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 junebug

junebug

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 09:22 PM

I'm planning a trip purely for the scenery. From what I gather, Viewliners, which I have never been on, don't have the greatest 'view' except in the sleeper cars.

#2 Philly Amtrak Fan

Philly Amtrak Fan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 09:40 PM

Only the Capitol Limited and City of New Orleans (not sure whether that counts as east of Chicago). Superliners don't fit into Penn Station

Trains Traveled:

Broadway Limited (CHI-Harrisburg, PA) 
Three Rivers (Harrisburg, PA-CHI, Altoona, PA-CHI, PHL-CHI)
Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS)
Lake Short Limited (NYP-CHI)
Silver Meteor (PHL-ORL)
Southwest Chief (CHI-LAX)
California Zephyr (CHI-SLC, SLC-EMY)
City of New Orleans and/or Illini (CHI-Champaign, IL)

Bring back the Broadway Limited (or Three Rivers or any Chicago-Pittsburgh-Philly train)!

https://www.facebook...roadwayLimited/

#3 junebug

junebug

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 09:57 PM

Ahh thanks, Philly. Does the Cardinal always use Viewliner equipment?

#4 junebug

junebug

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 10:11 PM

I mean does the Cardinal ever have a Sightseer Lounge? I read somewhere that sometimes it does??

#5 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,066 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 06 August 2017 - 10:21 PM

I mean does the Cardinal ever have a Sightseer Lounge? I read somewhere that sometimes it does??

Not since the Cardinal was converted back to single level equipment....they do during the fall season occasionally run a couple of trips with the 'Ocean View' full dome lounge, but not sure of when for sure...

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#6 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,958 posts
  • Interests:Planning my next trip

Posted 06 August 2017 - 11:03 PM

When the Cardinal only ran between CHI and WAS, it was a Superliner and had an SSL. Since they extended it to NYP (which can't have Superliners due to their height), it's now a single level train.
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

The view is much better at 3 feet than it is at 30,000 feet!

#7 junebug

junebug

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 11:43 PM

When the Cardinal only ran between CHI and WAS, it was a Superliner and had an SSL. Since they extended it to NYP (which can't have Superliners due to their height), it's now a single level train.

:angry2:  :wacko: Oops, I think you told me that already. Senior moment! :wacko:  :blink:  :o  :mellow:  :)

#8 LookingGlassTie

LookingGlassTie

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 06:54 AM

I can't remember; does the Auto Train have a SSL?

"And you know that notion just crossed my mind............"

#9 Railroad Bill

Railroad Bill

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,888 posts
  • Interests:Golf, Historical and Genealogical research, Travel, Model Railroading. Lions Club & Anything Dealing With Trains

Posted 07 August 2017 - 07:01 AM

Yes, the AutoTrain does run with a couple of SSL's.  But most of the trip runs overnight and except for summer months there is little scenery except at both ends of the trip.. Virginia and northern Fla.  I would recommend the Cap Ltd 30 with some nice scenery leaving PGH eastbound all the way to WAS.

Edited by Railroad Bill, 07 August 2017 - 07:03 AM.

Amtrak Trains Ridden So Far:
Lake Shore Ltd, Capitol Ltd, Pennsylvanian, NE Corridors, Crescent, City of New Orleans, Empire Builder, California Zephyr, Hoosier, SW Chief, Surfliners, California Capitol Corridors, Coast Starlight, Cascades. Texas Eagle, San Joaquins, Missouri River Runner,Cardinal, Downeaster, Silver Meteor, Keystones, Auto Train, Adirondack, Lincoln Service, Illinois Zephyr, Carl Sandburg, Texas Eagle Detour Rt, 2013 Autumn Express Tour PHL, Silver Star, Sunset Limited -Acela Express-  2015 Autumn Express ALB  - Empire Service    

81,815 Amtrak miles & counting     
Via Rail Corridor Trains Cobourg-Ottawa-Montreal,(round trip)  The Ocean (round trip)--   2,250 miles

#10 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,726 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 07:02 AM

Keep in mind that although most of the East Coast routes do not have a SSL car, many of them do have some pretty good scenic views.

#11 junebug

junebug

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 09:37 AM

This helps, thanks! What about the Capitol Limited westbound? Are there any scenic parts during daylight hours? It looks like the last daylight stop if it's on time is Cumberland, MD?

Edited by junebug, 07 August 2017 - 09:40 AM.

#12 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,625 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 07 August 2017 - 09:45 AM

Auto Train has Lounges, but not necessarily SSLs.

#13 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,726 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 10:17 AM

Decent lounges notwithstanding, and with a number of good reasons to use the service, I wouldn't put scenery high on the list of the AutoTrain's selling points.

#14 brianpmcdonnell17

brianpmcdonnell17

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 11:45 AM

I believe there are 3 or 4 Auto Train sets, one of which has a SSL. The others run with a converted diner as a lounge.
Trains travelled: Capitol Limited WAS-CHI, Cardinal CHI-WAS, Carolinian CLT-RGH, Coast Starlight SJC-LAX, Crescent BAL-ATL, Empire Builder MSP-CHI, Empire Service NYP-NFL+NYG-YNY, Lake Shore Limited BOS-ALB, Maple Leaf ALB-NYP, Northeast Regional FBG-RVR+WAS-BOS, Pacific Surfliner LAX-ANA, Pennsylvanian NYP-PGH, Piedmont RGH-DNC, Silver Meteor ORL-NYP, Silver Star FTL-WAS, 2016 Autumn Express NYP-HAR-NYP

Upcoming New Routes: Lake Shore Limited NYP-CHI (December), California Zephyr CHI-RIC (December), Coast Starlight SJC-SEA (December), Empire Builder SEA-MSP (January).

Non Amtrak: Atlanta Streetcar, Caltrain, CTA, DC Streetcar, Hudson-Bergen Light Rail, LIRR, MARC, MARTA, MBTA Subway, Metra, Metrolink, Metro-North, METRO Transit Light Rail, Miami Metrorail, Muni Metro, NJT Commuter Rail, North Star, NYC Subway, PATH, Pittsburgh Light Rail, River Line (NJT), SEPTA Regional Rail, SEPTA Subway, South Shore Line, Sunrail, Staten Island Railway, TECO Streetcar, Tri-Rail, Washington Metro

#15 Philly Amtrak Fan

Philly Amtrak Fan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 12:16 PM

Totally forgot about the Auto Train among Superliner trains. I usually don't consider the AT when considering LD's because of it's financial situation as well as its target audience,

Trains Traveled:

Broadway Limited (CHI-Harrisburg, PA) 
Three Rivers (Harrisburg, PA-CHI, Altoona, PA-CHI, PHL-CHI)
Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS)
Lake Short Limited (NYP-CHI)
Silver Meteor (PHL-ORL)
Southwest Chief (CHI-LAX)
California Zephyr (CHI-SLC, SLC-EMY)
City of New Orleans and/or Illini (CHI-Champaign, IL)

Bring back the Broadway Limited (or Three Rivers or any Chicago-Pittsburgh-Philly train)!

https://www.facebook...roadwayLimited/

#16 dogbert617

dogbert617

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 12:34 PM

This helps, thanks! What about the Capitol Limited westbound? Are there any scenic parts during daylight hours? It looks like the last daylight stop if it's on time is Cumberland, MD?

Sadly, that is right about the Capitol Limited going west. The last daytime westbound stop is Cumberland, and you will hit darkness not long after that. If you look at the CL timetable, you'll see it's better to ride that going east vs. west, since you'll have MORE time for the daylight part. Including sunrise by Pittsburgh, or not long after that. Pittsburgh and Cumberland btw are extended stops for the CL, where you're allowed to smoke or stretch your legs briefly.

If you're going west from DC, consider riding the Cardinal. Sadly (boo its schedule!) it only runs 3 days a week going westbound from NYC to DC (Wednesdays, Fridays, Sundays), but on that train at this time of year(IF on time), you're in daylight till Charleston, WV. However Cardinal is a similar train to Capitol Limited, since you see more of the scenic parts in daylight going east. Note from Chicago btw, that it departs on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays. You'll start to see the scenic part, the next morning around eastern KY or western WV (Huntington), depending on whenever you wake up. And you may be woken up going eastbound, (as it's just after 7am), as Huntington will more than likely be the first announced stop on the PA going east. Since Amtrak only doesn't do PA upcoming station announcements from 10pm-7am.

Edited by dogbert617, 07 August 2017 - 12:43 PM.

#17 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,625 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 07 August 2017 - 12:48 PM

I believe there are 3 or 4 Auto Train sets, one of which has a SSL. The others run with a converted diner as a lounge.

I guess one can believe whatever one likes, but the reality is that there are two Auto Train sets and a few spare cars in the pool. Sometimes there is an SSL or two in the pool, and most times not.

Edited by jis, 07 August 2017 - 01:46 PM.

#18 A Voice

A Voice

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 699 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 01:24 PM

There are only five Auto Train lounge cars for the two equipment sets (two lounges per train), and with four of them in service on any given day a Sightseer Lounge will sometimes be used to supplement the dedicated Auto train equipment.  

#19 LookingGlassTie

LookingGlassTie

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 03:08 PM

@ Philly,

That makes sense    :)

"And you know that notion just crossed my mind............"

#20 railpost

railpost

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 05:21 AM

Speaking of Sightseer Lounges and Superliner's I have question. Can Boston South Station Accommodate a Superliner or a Sightseer Lounge as it is not in a tunnel (like in New York CIty)? 

If Boston could accommodate Superliners then it would be a good idea to consider running a separate train from Chicago to Boston with Superliners.

Up until the fall of 1967 the Old New York Central Railroad had run a Chicago Boston Train called the "New England States". If the route to Boston could accommodate Superliners than it would make sense to run a Superliner Train all the way through to Boston.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users