Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Pack n Play in Superliner Bedroom?

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#21 Carolyn Jane

Carolyn Jane

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 10:54 PM

I mentioned this to my sister, and she was laughing hysterically.  We shared bedroom D on SWC and CL  WAS to LA..  CJ

#22 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,094 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 04:51 AM

Is the 'H room" the handicap accessible room?

I thought if it was close enough to departure and it wasn't booked, I could switch to the accessible room.
The Amtrak rep I spoke with yesterday said I'd need "documentation proving an ambulation related disability."
:( No dice.

Amtrak's own web site does not require an "ambulation related disability." In particular, hearing loss is a listed condition. Unless I'm misunderstanding something (and it has happened), hearing loss can occur without ambulatory impairment.
Have you tried booking a H room by selecting hard of hearing as your disability? Perhaps they do ask about your ambulatory status as you go through the process.
I have booked online using hard of hearing, because I am, but don't recall the handicap bedroom being listed.

#23 RPC

RPC

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 07:53 AM

Back in the 20th century when my son was a baby we took a trip from CHI to SLC. I made a folding cardboard box (no lid!) to fit him; we packed a folded-up quilt for a mattress. Back then the fleet was all Superliner I, so the "guest chair" was free-standing; the attendant folded it up and took it away. My son slept in his "crib" where the guest chair would usually sit. Worked great!

#24 RRRick

RRRick

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts
  • Interests:Transportation history,

Posted 19 June 2015 - 08:36 AM

I have also seen this pic

http://hostthenpost....0ff563bb2e0.jpg
and a number of youtube videos-but can't figure dimensions from it/them.

Again, THANK YOU so much for all the help!!

That was my pic. Perhaps this one with the bed down will help if you combine the two pics. The yellow bag base is 24 inches long and 12 inches wide.The bag is expanded to about 24 L x 16 W x 10 H inches as shown. The lap top is 11" wide x 10" long. Keep in mind that there normally is a folding chair on a post in the corner where the bag is shown.

Attached File  IMG_0970.JPG   565.66KB   44 downloads

Attached File  IMG_0968.JPG   667.79KB   40 downloads

Edited by RRRick, 19 June 2015 - 08:55 AM.

#25 niemi24s

niemi24s

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 05:47 PM

Can the single seat be removed from any Superliner bedroom which can be converted into a suite with the adjacent bedroom?  If so, methinks that's the solution to the OP's question/dilemma because the floor space rectangle opens up to about 48" X 48" with that seat removed:

Attached File  Superliner Bedroomsc.jpg   51.22KB   18 downloads

Edited by niemi24s, 19 June 2015 - 06:30 PM.

#26 RRRick

RRRick

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 07:21 PM

niemi24s

Your diagram shows the daytime setup. The bed moves over for the night position and takes away some of the 48 x 48 area you indicate. I have modified the diagram by pulling the bed over, see the red lines. The available space is now shown by the yellow rectangle. It looks about 36 x 42 inches to me. There is a pole mount for the fold up chair in the corner.The pole remains but the chair can be removed. 

Attached File  post-9586-0-67195600-1434753967.jpg   52.82KB   18 downloads

#27 niemi24s

niemi24s

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 09:11 PM

But what if the adult chooses to sleep in the top bunk?  Can the bottom bunk remain in the daytime position?  

Edited by niemi24s, 19 June 2015 - 09:46 PM.

#28 Rawlyrocks

Rawlyrocks

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 09:49 PM

Thank you for all of the helpful responses!
Great work RRRick!

We're going to give it a shot!
(Bringing the Graco Travel Lite 23.2x33.5x32.2 on the Empire Builder)
As well as two big body pillows for plan B!

I'll update everyone after we arrive in PDX in the first full week in July!
Attached File  ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1434768539.260267.jpg   88.27KB   16 downloads

#29 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,164 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 20 June 2015 - 06:00 AM

Best of luck! Please do let us know if it fits (and if you want to go for the gold, exactly how big that space is) - the question comes up often enough that it'll be great to be able to say "It fits!" or "Nope, sorry" when the next person asks.
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#30 Amtrak George

Amtrak George

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 02:16 PM

I hope this works for you but would hate to see you disappointed.  The dimensions you mention are a concern.  Look at Amtrak's baggage policy for carry on luggage.  Limit is 2 pieces per person, not to exceed 28x22x14 inches. 

#31 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,094 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 02:53 PM

I hope this works for you but would hate to see you disappointed.  The dimensions you mention are a concern.  Look at Amtrak's baggage policy for carry on luggage.  Limit is 2 pieces per person, not to exceed 28x22x14 inches. 

With exceptions for strollers and other things. 

#32 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,843 posts
  • Interests:Looking at GPS to find out where I am at!

Posted 20 June 2015 - 03:31 PM

Can the single seat be removed from any Superliner bedroom which can be converted into a suite with the adjacent bedroom?  If so, methinks that's the solution to the OP's question/dilemma because the floor space rectangle opens up to about 48" X 48" with that seat removed:

attachicon.gifSuperliner Bedroomsc.jpg

The bedroom suite is only made up by opening a door between bedrooms B & C or bedrooms D & E. This door is located where the 2 bathroom doors meet on the wall, at the right side of the yellow box. (The entire wall does not open.)

Edited by the_traveler, 20 June 2015 - 03:32 PM.

Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

The view is much better at 3 feet than it is at 30,000 feet!

#33 niemi24s

niemi24s

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 04:36 PM

So when a bedroom is in the daytime configuration, is not part of a suite (passage door closed) and the single seat is removed, there's a floor space of about 48" X 48" with the single chair mounting post in the corner.  I wonder how much space the mounting post takes up?  I'm also wondering if removal of the single seat is something the SCA can do?

Be a shame for the OP to board with child, Pack'n Play, luggage, etc, only to find that seat removal requires prior approval and 3 weeks lead time!  You'd think there'd be some forum member on board a Superliner with a tape measure who could answer all these questions based on first-hand knowledge.      

#34 rusty spike

rusty spike

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts
  • Interests:Railroad history, Travel by train (or just about anything else)

Posted 20 June 2015 - 04:52 PM

With exceptions for strollers and other things. 

They are prettly lenient when boarding with carry-on luggage but baby tems are exempt from the limit anyway.

Here are the rules according to Amtrak's Service Standards Manual.
Attached File  BagPol 1.PNG   24.31KB   16 downloads

Plus they should allow the item in checked baggage as well even if it is oversized.

Attached File  Bag Pol 2.PNG   32.56KB   16 downloads

As others have said, it would be good to hear back from you as to how it fits (if it does) in the Bedroom. We opted out of taking the Pack N Play last summer because we feared there would not  be enough space so the baby just slept with his mom on the inside near the wall. He was 18 mos. at the time.

Good luck and enjoy your trip.

My heart is warm with friends I make,
And better friends I'll not be knowing;
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,
No matter where it's going.
--
Edna St. Vincent Millay

#35 SarahZ

SarahZ

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,284 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, baking, local history, urban exploration, music, dancing, and looking for new adventures

Posted 20 June 2015 - 06:45 PM

So when a bedroom is in the daytime configuration, is not part of a suite (passage door closed) and the single seat is removed, there's a floor space of about 48" X 48" with the single chair mounting post in the corner.  I wonder how much space the mounting post takes up?  I'm also wondering if removal of the single seat is something the SCA can do?

Be a shame for the OP to board with child, Pack'n Play, luggage, etc, only to find that seat removal requires prior approval and 3 weeks lead time!  You'd think there'd be some forum member on board a Superliner with a tape measure who could answer all these questions based on first-hand knowledge.      

While it's common for some AU members to post while on board, you're assuming 1) they're either traveling in or have access to a bedroom and 2) have a tape measure with them. I never carry a tape measure when traveling.

Amtrak Miles: 48,312

Amtrak Routes: Blue Water, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Carl Sandburg, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Empire Builder, Hiawatha, Illinois Zephyr, Lincoln Service, Southwest Chief, Texas Eagle, Wolverine

Metropolitan Rail: Chicago Metra, Chicago L, Dallas TRE, Detroit People Mover, New Orleans RTA, San Francisco MUNI, Seattle Monorail, South Shore Line (NICTD), Toronto Subway & RT, Washington DC Metro

#36 niemi24s

niemi24s

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 07:09 PM

This thread is already peppered with dimensional estimates and assumptions (including mine) - may as well assume that too!  Or maybe someone traveling prior to the OP's trip will think of taking a tape along.  Hope springs eternal.   :)

FWIW, using the figure of 10' - 2" for the exterior width of the car body (Wikipedia) yields essentially the same approximate 48" X 48" floor space as previously shown for the daytime configuration. 

Edited by niemi24s, 20 June 2015 - 07:43 PM.

#37 willem

willem

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 07:50 PM

I thought if it was close enough to departure and it wasn't booked, I could switch to the accessible room.
The Amtrak rep I spoke with yesterday said I'd need "documentation proving an ambulation related disability."

Amtrak's own web site does not require an "ambulation related disability." In particular, hearing loss is a listed condition. Unless I'm misunderstanding something (and it has happened), hearing loss can occur without ambulatory impairment.
Have you tried booking a H room by selecting hard of hearing as your disability? Perhaps they do ask about your ambulatory status as you go through the process.
I have booked online using hard of hearing, because I am, but don't recall the handicap bedroom being listed.

No, I have not tried booking online. I believe booking the handicapped room requires a telephone call; in other words, it will not show up as an option on the web site (for ordinary mortals, at least).

#38 RRRick

RRRick

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 07:53 PM

A 8 1/2" x 11"  page makes a good measuring tool when traveling. :)  

#39 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,094 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 08:23 PM

No, I have not tried booking online. I believe booking the handicapped room requires a telephone call; in other words, it will not show up as an option on the web site (for ordinary mortals, at least).

Just tried a test booking online.  If you select "I have reduced mobility" and say you have a wheelchair and will sit in it during the trip, the H room comes up as the  option for a room.  If you select "I am a person who is deaf or has a hearing loss", only roomettes and bedrooms come up.

#40 BCL

BCL

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 21 June 2015 - 12:50 PM

I would suspect that it's somewhat of a gray area in whether this would be allowed. The examples of "baby items" are typically small (diaper bags) or would stay folded like a stroller. Unfolded it might be in the category of "furniture" which I'm guessing is considered a safety hazard in case of evacuation. I've requested a crib before at hotels, and once I got a commercial version of a Pack 'n Play.

Heck - airlines have good sized bassinets that can hold 30 lbs. Amtrak could find a way to have one using the existing hardware, but expense would probably be an issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users