MIami - airport/amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil S

OBS Chief
What's the drill on getting from Miami International to the Amtrak station? If I'm headed out on #92, can I give myself more time to get from airport by boarding at the Hollywood station? Thanks!

Well you would gain a few minutes if you board at Hollywood. And both Amtrak & Tri-Rail stop at the Hollywood station.

Hmm, that didn;t seem to work. I'll try again.

Alan - Thanks. But I think I didn't make clear my level of ignorance! Even after reading the airport, Tri-Rail, and Amtrak websites. Does one take a bus from the airport to Tri-Rail, ride Tri-Rail for a stop or 2, then transfer to Amtrak? Any idea how long I should allow for the whole process? -- Phil

The Tri-Rail shuttle bus departs from the baggage claim level outside Terminal E and goes to the Hialeah Market Station. Tri-Rail connects to Amtrak at Hollywood and at several other stations farther north. Tri-Rail appears to run hourly, with a few extra trains at rush hours, and is scheduled to take about 30 minutes to Hollywood.

Until several weeks ago, there was a Tri-Rail station closer to the airport. That station has been closed for construction of an intermodal station, which is expected to take two years or so. When the new facility is complete you'll be able to take the people mover (which just opened last month to serve the rental car center) from the terminal, instead of a shuttle bus. The intermodal station will serve Tri-Rail, Metrorail, buses, taxis, and shuttles.

The Tri-Rail shuttle bus departs from the baggage claim level outside Terminal E and goes to the Hialeah Market Station. Tri-Rail connects to Amtrak at Hollywood and at several other stations farther north. Tri-Rail appears to run hourly, with a few extra trains at rush hours, and is scheduled to take about 30 minutes to Hollywood.

Until several weeks ago, there was a Tri-Rail station closer to the airport. That station has been closed for construction of an intermodal station, which is expected to take two years or so. When the new facility is complete you'll be able to take the people mover (which just opened last month to serve the rental car center) from the terminal, instead of a shuttle bus. The intermodal station will serve Tri-Rail, Metrorail, buses, taxis, and shuttles.
Let's see if I figured out "reply" this time.

Railbuck - Thanks. That's what I needed -- Phil.

But Tri-Rail once an hour? I'll take a cab from the airport to Amtrak. I love trains, don't mind sitting on them (especially in a roomette) while they're delayed by the freight line company, but I draw the line at taking up to an hour and a half for what would be at most a 10 min cab ride.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

I guess this is another example of the lack of "joined up thinking". What a shame that each company only thinks about their own stuff. It would be nice if one could catch CONVENIENT public transport from Amtrak to the Airport, or vice versa!

Ed :cool:

Amtrak will also be moving the passenger stop to the Miami Central station, part of the huge Miami Intermodal Center project, after it opens. Which will make connections to the airport, Miami Metrorail, Tri-Rail, and access to car rentals (at airport prices) all very easy.

Hi,

I guess this is another example of the lack of "joined up thinking". What a shame that each company only thinks about their own stuff. It would be nice if one could catch CONVENIENT public transport from Amtrak to the Airport, or vice versa!

The number of people transferring from Amtrak to the airport each day is probably in the single digits, at best. Not worth it.

Hi,

The number of people transferring from Amtrak to the airport each day is probably in the single digits, at best. Not worth it.
I bet it would be more if more convenient connections were available.

Hi,

I bet it would be more if more convenient connections were available.
Why? In the absence of corridor service in Florida, the airport and Amtrak serve almost identical traveling needs. Why would someone transfer from a long-distance flight to a long-distance train? Amtrak can't take you to suburban Miami destinations, the largest source of traffic to the airport, nor does it provide service to more regional destinations like Fort Lauderdale or West Palm Beach, and it provides skeletal service at best to intra-state destinations. And if you're going to Tampa or Orlando or whatever, why not fly to Tampa or Orlando or whatever? There's no reason for people to take Amtrak to the airport or vice versa.

Looks like Miami-Dade local bus 42 runs between the airport and the Amtrak Station directly, but only once an hour. (The route runs half-hourly but splits in sections; every other bus goes to Amtrak.) This looks fairly convenient if you're willing to hang out and wait. Trip time is 20-25 minutes. Seven days a week.

If you've never caught a bus before out of MIA, it's best to head out a bit early to find the single public bus stop at the airport, which is never easy to find at any airport. The stop itself has an enclosed waiting area.

IMHO, you would be better off taking the Tri-Rail shuttle bus from MIA to the Tri-Rail station and riding to Hollywood or Fort Lauderdale to board 92 there.

The Tri-Rail stop (79th St) closest to the Miami Amtrak station is still four blocks from the station in a run-down area.

If you want or need to board at Miami Amtrak, I would take a cab from MIA directly to Miami Amtrak.

I'm not even entirely sure that Amtrak will be using the new Miami Central Station.
I don't know why you say that when every reference to the project says it will, ie: MICDOT.

Of course you could be referring to the fact that Amtrak may not exist in two years, or that the budget could be cut, or there could be an anti-Amtrak politician in Florida, but we live that fear for any new planned service in the state.

My advice... take a taxi. The hassle of going through multiple changes and waits is just not worth it. I have done it both ways - well actually all three ways, i.e. changing from Metrorail to Amtrak at Miami after a walk through a somewhat iffy neighborhood, and changing at Hollywood + the taxi option. In terms of convenience I'd rank them as follows:

1. Taxi

2. Metrorail change at Hollywood

3. Metrorail change at Amtrak Miami in Hialeah.

Still no takers for the 42 bus? Appears to stop right at the Amtrak station, no walking to Metrorail required.

Still no takers for the 42 bus? Appears to stop right at the Amtrak station, no walking to Metrorail required.
Buses are the absolutely worst option if you have any significant luggage. Other than that it works OK, though the clientale on that route can be - shall we say - somewhat interesting/fascinating. :)

Buses are the absolutely worst option if you have any significant luggage. Other than that it works OK, though the clientale on that route can be - shall we say - somewhat interesting/fascinating. :)
I travel pretty light and have taken many a bus to and from train stations.

But indeed, if you're carrying a cruise's worth of luggage, taxi is the way to go. Consider it the land-based version of the baggage fee that the airlines charge.

I travel pretty light and have taken many a bus to and from train stations.

But indeed, if you're carrying a cruise's worth of luggage, taxi is the way to go. Consider it the land-based version of the baggage fee that the airlines charge.
You don;t necessarily need a cruise's worth of luggage for such to become a consideration. All that it takes is one reasonable sized suitcase. City buses are not designed to transport such things seamlessly, specially in rush conditions.

I'm not even entirely sure that Amtrak will be using the new Miami Central Station.
Being a supporter of convenient and well-thought transit planning I agree with saxman. The Florida DOT is still planning to have Amtrak at the new Miami Intermodal Center (also called the Miami Central Station) according to this website: http://www.micdot.com/miami_central_station.html

Although it may not happen often, there is still a reason for people to come into the Miami area by train and go the airport or vice-versa and it probably happen more often if the connections weren't as complicated.

Miami has many international travelers and it's possible that the Silver service could meet their traveling needs to other parts of Florida. Whether they travel for business or leisure reasons, it makes no sense to have people stumble through various transportation connections when good, thought-out planning can provide convenient cross-access between varying modes. I really applaud FDOT for making this happen, even though it took 20 years. Yes a cab is very direct and convenient but has anyone taken a cab in Miami? Cash only, no Ingles and they often take you in a not-so-direct route!

Hopefully Amtrak's long distance trains will still be around by the time the new facility is all done and ready for the Silvers. :)

Being a supporter of convenient and well-thought transit planning I agree with saxman. The Florida DOT is still planning to have Amtrak at the new Miami Intermodal Center (also called the Miami Central Station) according to this website: http://www.micdot.com/miami_central_station.html

Although it may not happen often, there is still a reason for people to come into the Miami area by train and go the airport or vice-versa and it probably happen more often if the connections weren't as complicated.

Miami has many international travelers and it's possible that the Silver service could meet their traveling needs to other parts of Florida. Whether they travel for business or leisure reasons, it makes no sense to have people stumble through various transportation connections when good, thought-out planning can provide convenient cross-access between varying modes. I really applaud FDOT for making this happen, even though it took 20 years.
Exactly! By using Miami Central instead of the hole in the wall used presently, arriving/departing passengers would gain direct connection to the Metro too.

Yes a cab is very direct and convenient but has anyone taken a cab in Miami? Cash only, no Ingles and they often take you in a not-so-direct route!
Yes I have taken Miami cabs at least a dozen times over the last four years and each time I used English and it worked fine. As for not so direct route, they could still learn a few lessons from NY and Newark cabs :)

... Yes a cab is very direct and convenient but has anyone taken a cab in Miami? Cash only, no Ingles and they often take you in a not-so-direct route!
Yes I have taken Miami cabs at least a dozen times over the last four years and each time I used English and it worked fine. As for not so direct route, they could still learn a few lessons from NY and Newark cabs :)
I believe all cabs to and from MIA airport are flat rate based on zones. With the meter not on, I doubt the cab driver would want to take a sightseeing tour of south Florida.

... Yes a cab is very direct and convenient but has anyone taken a cab in Miami? Cash only, no Ingles and they often take you in a not-so-direct route!
I believe all cabs to and from MIA airport are flat rate based on zones. With the meter not on, I doubt the cab driver would want to take a sightseeing tour of south Florida.
In addition, in all my cab rides from Amtrak MIA to airline MIA I have never had a different rate charged irrespective of which particular route they took. So I have to assume that either it is some kind of flat rate or they did notcheat on routing.

Sure it makes sense for Amtrak to serve the new MIC but it also makes sense for Tri-Rail to serve downtown Miami directly…doesn't happen. Would've made sense for Metrorail to connect the Orange Bowl (now the site of the new Miami Marlins Ballpark) and Miami Airport but instead they serve Hialeah to "spur economic growth." Now after double tracking the SFRC officials want to spend $1 billion to triple track the FEC from Jacksonville to Miami. Okay, what about the money the Feds gave you to double track? This is why central planning doesn't work.

So as far as Amtrak serving MIC, I'll honestly believe it when I see it. They have a station inside Hialeah yard. A move to MIC would require a 4 mile deadhead move to get the train to/from Hialeah yard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back