Quantcast

Club car

79 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Mike_*

Guest_Mike_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2010 - 11:27 AM

My wife and I will be tavelling on the Silver Meteor in January from Washington to Winter Hsven, FL. Does this train usually have a club or a lounge car?

#2 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2010 - 11:29 AM

My wife and I will be tavelling on the Silver Meteor in January from Washington to Winter Hsven, FL. Does this train usually have a club or a lounge car?

It has a lounge car, and it is on the "coach side" of the dining car.

#3 PaulM

PaulM

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts
  • Interests:Bicycling, computer programming, website development, concert band, train travel

Posted 22 December 2010 - 01:26 PM

It has a cafe car with tables and spartan decor. To call it a lounge or club car is a stretch.

#4 Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,167 posts
  • Interests:Sleeping

Posted 22 December 2010 - 07:00 PM

The beautiful Amfleet II lounge cars, and the even nicer Heritage lounge cars, are all gone. The Amfleet II lounges are all diner-lites now, with the ugly, cold blue-and-grey decor.

Travelled: Broadway Limited (1), Lake Shore Limited (6), Capitol Limited (7), Empire Builder (1), Southwest Chief (2), Sunset Limited (1), California Zephyr (3), Coast Starlight (2), Silver Meteor (5), Silver Star (5), Silver Palm (2), Crescent (1), Cardinal (4), Auto Train (4), Pennsylvanian (2), Palmetto (1), Acela Express (1), Empire Service (1), Northeast Regional (11), Keystone Service (1) --- Total Miles: 50,144 --- Total Trains: 61
Most important: Keep it Simple, Stupid!
350vyib.png
Dream of love, dream of me, for you are my love. I love you.
Avatar and sig were done by my fiance, Corvidophile.

#5 OlympianHiawatha

OlympianHiawatha

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,853 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 07:10 PM

I vaguely remember the "classic" Amfleet Lounge from a trip about 17 years ago on the pre-Superliner CONO. At least they were "loungey." Of course I spent more time on that trip in the Dome :)

#6 pennyk

pennyk

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 07:56 PM

The lounge car (on the coach side) fills up pretty quickly with families playing cards and with coach passengers eating from the snack bar. The other side of the lounge (closest to the diner) usually has a couple of tables occupied by the conductor/assistant conductor and attendants. I usually can find a place to sit, if I want to - even if I share a booth with a stranger. In a few minutes, my table mate is no longer a stranger.

Amtrak miles: 123,321; Routes: Silver Meteor, Champion (1973), Silver Star, Auto Train, Capitol Limited, Empire Builder, Lakeshore Limited, Adirondack, Vermonter, Cardinal, California Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Texas Eagle (CHI-STL), Missouri River Runner, Acela Express (FC), Southwest Chief, Cascades, Crescent, City of New Orleans, Hiawatha Service, Maple Leaf, Keystone Service, Northeast Regional, Downeaster, Piedmont, Carolinian, Lincoln Service, Autumn Express 2013, Empire Service.   VIA miles: 4,584; Routes: The Canadian (westbound), Ocean (eastbound/westbound).

#7 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,295 posts
  • Interests:Planning my next trip

Posted 22 December 2010 - 09:49 PM

I usually can find a place to sit, if I want to - even if I share a booth with a stranger. In a few minutes, my table mate is no longer a stranger.

But (s)he is usually much stranger after spending some time with you, right?Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead!

#8 GG-1

GG-1

Engineer

• Forum Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,318 posts
  • Interests:PRR GG1 and riding the rails to "see the USA in your Chev".....Train

Posted 22 December 2010 - 10:15 PM

I usually can find a place to sit, if I want to - even if I share a booth with a stranger. In a few minutes, my table mate is no longer a stranger.

But (s)he is usually much stranger after spending some time with you, right?Posted Image

:lol::lol::lol:

:lol: :rolleyes: :lol: :rolleyes: :lol:

Mele Kalikimaka
Aloha

Eric aka GG-1, Aloha, Mahalo = Thanks

Picture Galleries Posted Image

#9 Guest_national limited_*

Guest_national limited_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 December 2010 - 12:41 AM

The beautiful Amfleet II lounge cars, and the even nicer Heritage lounge cars, are all gone. The Amfleet II lounges are all diner-lites now, with the ugly, cold blue-and-grey decor.

Are there any photos of these Amfleet II lounge cars available somewhere on the web? I don't think I've ever seen an Amfleet lounge.

#10 spacecadet

spacecadet

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 03:29 AM

Are there any photos of these Amfleet II lounge cars available somewhere on the web? I don't think I've ever seen an Amfleet lounge.

I'm not finding any photos of the interiors, but I have seen photos online previously that showed Amfleet food service cars denoted as "Lounge" cars, and I've ridden in them also. I don't remember them being "beautiful" by any stretch, though the ones I rode in were basically set up the way the last dome car is now - half the car was booths, the other half was individual chairs (and I remember them swiveling). They had that same brown and orange decor also.

There have been a lot of different lounge car configurations in Amtrak's history so there may have been some "beautiful" configuration that I haven't seen, but I think probably what I'm describing is what Green Maned Lion was referring to.

By today's standards these were better than what we have now, but at the time they seemed a poor replacement for the heritage lounge cars that were still in the system, if you got lucky enough to get a train with one still in the consist. Though I think the heritage lounges all basically got converted to be similar to the Amfleet configuration eventually, just with the food service area at the end of the car rather than the middle. So the car still felt a lot more open and free-flowing than the Amfleets.

#11 pennyk

pennyk

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 05:41 AM

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Dave, that is what my relatives say. They accuse ME of getting stranger every year. :wacko:

Amtrak miles: 123,321; Routes: Silver Meteor, Champion (1973), Silver Star, Auto Train, Capitol Limited, Empire Builder, Lakeshore Limited, Adirondack, Vermonter, Cardinal, California Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Texas Eagle (CHI-STL), Missouri River Runner, Acela Express (FC), Southwest Chief, Cascades, Crescent, City of New Orleans, Hiawatha Service, Maple Leaf, Keystone Service, Northeast Regional, Downeaster, Piedmont, Carolinian, Lincoln Service, Autumn Express 2013, Empire Service.   VIA miles: 4,584; Routes: The Canadian (westbound), Ocean (eastbound/westbound).

#12 had8ley

had8ley

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,111 posts
  • Interests:"There's nothin' nicer than "dinner In the diner." After 30 plus years of pulling cabooses and pax trains around it's time for someone else to pull me around...

Posted 23 December 2010 - 10:49 AM

I vaguely remember the "classic" Amfleet Lounge from a trip about 17 years ago on the pre-Superliner CONO. At least they were "loungey." Of course I spent more time on that trip in the Dome :)

I still have night mares about the meals ???, and I say that loosely, that came out of the nuclear reactor in the "Am-dinette." I still would prefer the dome to Superliner equipment but a Heritage diner-lounge would have probably been a better fit.

#13 Bill Haithcoat

Bill Haithcoat

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,091 posts
  • Interests:passenger trains

Posted 23 December 2010 - 11:13 AM

I think "lounge cars" by whatever name are or were among the most fascinating cars on a train,just because there were so many forms they could take.

Mostly I am remembering pre Amtrak equipment. (Though I take nothing from sightseer lounges or the pacific parlor car.)

They might be called club lounge cars, tavern lounges, etc

Sometimes they were combined with other cars,such as coach lounge, sleeper lounge, diner lounge.etc

Sometimes they had domes. Sometimes they rounded observation end.

To this day the Canadian is graced at the rear with an observation lounge dome sleeper. The pre Amtrak CZ had such a car, in fact those two were very similar as to equipment.

Some lounge cars had a theme, and or pictures and such appropriate to the route. There was a cable car room on the pre Amtrak CZ. There was a sun lounge on the Silver Meteor. It was a lounge sleeper with large windows to make up for no dome.

It goes on. There are no doubt categories I am not remembering as to how flexible lounge cars could be.

The cafe lounges, such as on the Crescent, are unsatisfactory to my needs,as it being all tables, no lounge seats.

#14 Larry H.

Larry H.

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 01:36 PM

This will probably bring howls from the "spartan" is fine crowd. Club cars as mentioned used to be the most wonderful and cozy of railcars. Nearly any old movie of train travel features great scenes of people seating enjoying conversation and beverages in the Club Cars. After Amtrak took control of the ordering all the glamor and even the comfort went out of them. To this day I cringe at them calling a cheap plastic looking set of bench seats and a card table a "Lounge". I don't know where they got that idea but it is well beneath the thousand dollar overnight fare they seem to find legitimate. Too bad the service and equipment don't match the prices.

#15 RyanS

RyanS

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,068 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 23 December 2010 - 01:47 PM

The only thing that the prices need to match is the demand, and they're doing a fine job.

If the trains were running empty, you'd have a point.
TrainSig.jpg

#16 Larry H.

Larry H.

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 05:47 PM

The only thing that the prices need to match is the demand, and they're doing a fine job.

And the competition is? They are running with what is provided by Amtrak an no more, no less and do not represent the service the cost is based on. My guess would be that perhaps you've never ridden a class train from the past?

#17 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 December 2010 - 05:53 PM

Ever hear of a monoply.

#18 RyanS

RyanS

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,068 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 06:05 PM

And the competition is? They are running with what is provided by Amtrak an no more, no less and do not represent the service the cost is based on. My guess would be that perhaps you've never ridden a class train from the past?

There's a reason that those trains aren't around anymore.

Try as I may, I can't make a logical thought out of the bolded portion. Care to try again?

Ever hear of a monoply.

If you think you can to better, you're welcome to start a competing company.
TrainSig.jpg

#19 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 December 2010 - 06:10 PM

There's a reason that those trains aren't around anymore.

Try as I may, I can't make a logical thought out of the bolded portion. Care to try again?

Ever hear of a monoply.

If you think you can to better, you're welcome to start a competing company.

We have had much better in the past. Other countries put Amtrak to shame, even Canada.

#20 RyanS

RyanS

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,068 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 06:11 PM

Yep, and they did so well, they're thriving today, right? :rolleyes:
TrainSig.jpg

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic