89 replies to this topic

#41 AlanB

AlanB

Engineer

• Honored Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,342 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 06:09 AM

Nothing is impossible except for skiing through revolving doors.

Actually with a thin layer of snow spread out and a pair of supershorts, even the above is possible. :lol: Probably not practical or very useful, much less fun; but again, with a pair of supershort skis it would be possible.
Alan,

Take care and take trains!

#42 Joel N. Weber II

Joel N. Weber II

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,922 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 07:26 AM

I'll skip the "fancy color" this time too. It was done not to be fancy, but to segregate my response from your post to make things easier for the reader.

If you want to make things easy for the reader, don't hide new text inside a quote box. I generally only read text inside a quote box if, after reading text below that quote box, I am looking for clarification of the context, because normally the text people put in a quote box is text I've already read.

#43 Joel N. Weber II

Joel N. Weber II

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,922 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 07:34 AM

It is entirely possible for all points to be connected. I mean you can even use the already present rights of way! We call them "highways". Just lay rails over them. Nothing is impossible except for skiing through revolving doors.

I thought "highways" had the wrong turn radius and the wrong inclines, for rails?

I think Walt is right that many of the highways we have in the US have grades which are too steep and curves which are too sharp for current rail technology. And with a rail car having less surface area in contact with the rail than a truck has in contact with the highway for a given amount of weight, that may be a difficult limitation to overcome unless you want to remove some of the energy efficiency that rail offers over rubber tires.

#44 sky12065

sky12065

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,657 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 09:22 AM

I'll skip the "fancy color" this time too. It was done not to be fancy, but to segregate my response from your post to make things easier for the reader.

If you want to make things easy for the reader, don't hide new text inside a quote box. I generally only read text inside a quote box if, after reading text below that quote box, I am looking for clarification of the context, because normally the text people put in a quote box is text I've already read.

So let me see, how do I respond to this? Aah, I got it! ADAPT! That's right, adapt! It's not that hard! Don't expect the world to adapt to you and don't expect me or anybody else to taylor make our posts to the personal preferences of each and every poster. I really don't agree that what you suggests hides text or that it makes things any easier (or worse) for reading! You're beginning to sound like the professor who has problems separating himself or herself from the classroom!

EDIT: As an after thought, I think I have already started doing just that which you're suggesting, except where it may be more of a bother than it's worth. Irregardless, my ADAPT response still stands!

Edited by sky12065, 26 August 2008 - 09:33 AM.

"So much track and so little time" or is it "So much time and so little money"
33,970 Total Rail Miles Traveled To Date
- Joe S -

#45 Joel N. Weber II

Joel N. Weber II

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,922 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 12:25 PM

So let me see, how do I respond to this? Aah, I got it! ADAPT! That's right, adapt! It's not that hard! Don't expect the world to adapt to you and don't expect me or anybody else to taylor make our posts to the personal preferences of each and every poster. I really don't agree that what you suggests hides text or that it makes things any easier (or worse) for reading!

I think fewer than one out of ten thousand posts on this forum follows the convention you had been using.

Most people who post here probably post because they want other people to read what they write. If you don't care whether I read or even skim the things you have to say, I don't have any objection to you ignoring the convention. But I would expect you might be interested in learning to maximize the effectiveness of the things you write.

There's really nothing for you to disagree with when I tell you that putting your new text inside a quote box makes it much less likely that I will read it.

I really doubt I'm the only person who reads these forums in this fashion.

#46 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2008 - 12:34 PM

So let me see, how do I respond to this? Aah, I got it! ADAPT! That's right, adapt! It's not that hard! Don't expect the world to adapt to you and don't expect me or anybody else to taylor make our posts to the personal preferences of each and every poster. I really don't agree that what you suggests hides text or that it makes things any easier (or worse) for reading!

I think fewer than one out of ten thousand posts on this forum follows the convention you had been using.

Most people who post here probably post because they want other people to read what they write. If you don't care whether I read or even skim the things you have to say, I don't have any objection to you ignoring the convention. But I would expect you might be interested in learning to maximize the effectiveness of the things you write.

There's really nothing for you to disagree with when I tell you that putting your new text inside a quote box makes it much less likely that I will read it.

Joel & others, including GML, You're smart, no doubt, but when you want to correct a fellow poster, please pm them if they're registered. That shows more courtesy. For me, I despise reading these "correction of your technique posts". They're arrogant and it breeds more arrogance. You need to give some slack for the variety of folks that post here. I fall in the "don't care" group.

#47 Montanan

Montanan

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 12:40 PM

Joel & others, including GML, You're smart, no doubt, but when you want to correct a fellow poster, please pm them if they're registered. That shows more courtesy. For me, I despise reading these "correction of your technique posts". They're arrogant and it breeds more arrogance. You need to give some slack for the variety of folks that post here. I fall in the "don't care" group.

Um, it seems to me that you've just made a post of the very sort that you claim to despise.

#48 sky12065

sky12065

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,657 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 01:44 PM

There's really nothing for you to disagree with when I tell you that putting your new text inside a quote box makes it much less likely that I will read it. I intend on no longer discussing this unless I'm publicly attacked again!

Boloney that "one out of ten thousand posts on the forum follows the convention" I've been using. That's your opinion, and if you did do the research to prove what you've stated, you surely have entirely too much freek'n time on your hands!

As for your quote box problem, what part of my statement "I think I have already started doing just that which you're suggesting, except where it may be more of a bother than it's worth." don't you understand??? (which incidently you just happened to conviently exclude in your quote) I don't know if your problem is because of pettiness, lazyness or whatever, or because your political views (and those of the liberal that pushed the same opinion onto me) differ from my own, but the problem is not my problem. The problem is yours and anyone that would agree with you.

To Others: My apologies to those who had to read this response, but since this matter was made personal and publicly, I deserve the right to respond in like! Hopefully this will be the end of this "beating of a dead horse" issue that I feel should have never begun in the first place!

- Joe S -

#49 sky12065

sky12065

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,657 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 01:47 PM

To any moderator:

Perhaps you should consider closing this thread to make sure the discussion ends!

- Joe S -

#50 AlanB

AlanB

Engineer

• Honored Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,342 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 02:35 PM

To any moderator:

Perhaps you should consider closing this thread to make sure the discussion ends!

Closing the thread is not an option that I'm willing to consider at this point, since the main topic contained in this thread is still relevant.

However, I will agree that who quoted what in what way has run its course, and therefore will instruct the staff to delete any further posts on that subject.
Alan,

Take care and take trains!

#51 Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts
  • Interests:Sleeping

Posted 26 August 2008 - 03:07 PM

It is entirely possible for all points to be connected. I mean you can even use the already present rights of way! We call them "highways". Just lay rails over them. Nothing is impossible except for skiing through revolving doors.

I thought "highways" had the wrong turn radius and the wrong inclines, for rails?

That would depend on the highway. In some cases, you'd probably have to straighten it a bit in places, increase curve radii, and flatten grades. I admit my comment was an over simplification
Travelled: Broadway Limited (1), Lake Shore Limited (6), Capitol Limited (7), Empire Builder (1), Southwest Chief (2), Sunset Limited (1), California Zephyr (3), Coast Starlight (2), Silver Meteor (5), Silver Star (5), Silver Palm (2), Crescent (1), Cardinal (4), Auto Train (4), Pennsylvanian (2), Palmetto (1), Acela Express (1), Empire Service (1), Northeast Regional (11), Keystone Service (1) --- Total Miles: 50,144 --- Total Trains: 61
Most important: Keep it Simple, Stupid!
Posted Image
Dream of love, dream of me, for you are my love. I love you.
Avatar and sig were done by my fiance, Corvidophile.

#52 sky12065

sky12065

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,657 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 06:39 PM

To any moderator:

Closing the thread is not an option that I'm willing to consider at this point, since the main topic contained in this thread is still relevant.

However, I will agree that who quoted what in what way has run its course, and therefore will instruct the staff to delete any further posts on that subject.

Fair enough. Thank you! B)

- Joe S -

#53 PaulLev

PaulLev

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 12:11 PM

It's the P that's more important than the VP when it comes to these issues. :huh:

Thank you! This is the shortest but most meaningful statement I've yet to see here! B)

But that doesn't mean that the VP is irrelevant on an issue like Amtrak. In fact, a VP taking Amtrak and train travel in America under his (or her) wing could be the best way a resurgence of train travel could helped by the gov - a little under the radar, but with a powerful enough base of support.
my Wikipedia entry
my books The Consciousness Plague (2002) has a chapter taking place on the Lake Shore Limited
my TV appearances
my blog

#54 sky12065

sky12065

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,657 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 01:48 PM

It's the P that's more important than the VP when it comes to these issues. :huh:

Thank you! This is the shortest but most meaningful statement I've yet to see here! B)

But that doesn't mean that the VP is irrelevant on an issue like Amtrak. In fact, a VP taking Amtrak and train travel in America under his (or her) wing could be the best way a resurgence of train travel could helped by the gov - a little under the radar, but with a powerful enough base of support.

I hope you're right about that, but I won't bank on it! BTW, I heard this morning that McCain could pick a pro-Amtrak VP. However, I don't know if I heard it on Fox news or on another posting on this forum. But if it's true it could just be a win-win situation no matter who is elected! Another BTW, irrevelent to this posting, but for those on this forum that think Fox News is biased, I heard Gov. Randell (D-PA) a Hillary and now Obama supporter, last night personally state that Fox news is defininately Fair and Balanced. Just thought I'd mention it!

- Joe S -

#55 PaulLev

PaulLev

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 03:38 PM

Meanwhile, I assume everyone heard Biden mention his position vs. McCain about Amtrak last night?
my Wikipedia entry
my books The Consciousness Plague (2002) has a chapter taking place on the Lake Shore Limited
my TV appearances
my blog

#56 sky12065

sky12065

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,657 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 03:57 PM

Meanwhile, I assume everyone heard Biden mention his position vs. McCain about Amtrak last night?

I'm sure many did, but do we really know if his words will result in a better Amtrak anymore that McCains words will result in a status quo or worse? I don't think that this question will truly be answered until we know what Amtrak's situation is four years down the road.

Edited by sky12065, 28 August 2008 - 04:01 PM.

- Joe S -

#57 Guest_IndyCars_*

Guest_IndyCars_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2008 - 08:01 PM

Rough life for the common man Biden. He has to rides the Acela Express for $146.00 one way from DC to Wilmington. I wonder how he makes ends meet. It has to be rough sitting next to all the other commuters and crying babies on his way to work! He is just like me, Not!

#58 PaulLev

PaulLev

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 08:32 PM

Rough life for the common man Biden. He has to rides the Acela Express for $146.00 one way from DC to Wilmington. I wonder how he makes ends meet. It has to be rough sitting next to all the other commuters and crying babies on his way to work! He is just like me, Not!

He still has more in common with most Americans than Republicans who do their best to see that oil companies make record profits. Any one who rides the rails, including Acela, is building the way to a better transportation system in this country.
my Wikipedia entry
my TV appearances
my blog

#59 MrFSS

MrFSS

Engineer

• Honored Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,777 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 08:37 PM

I wonder how many AGR points he has???

#60 Joel N. Weber II

Joel N. Weber II

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,922 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 09:12 PM

I wonder how many AGR points he has???

That's a select city pair, right? So, 750 points each way or 1500 round trip. But perhaps he redeems points every time he has enough for an Acela first class ticket, thus limiting how many points he accumulates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users