Cardinal to NYC

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CNW

I'm thinking of riding the Cardinal and would like to stay in New York city. Was born and raised in a "tank town" of 60 people, so although I want to stay in NYC I'm a little intimidated by the thought of it. What is the closest reputable and safe hotel to the station and what is the name of the station where I would be detraining. Is it Penn?

I hope you have a good trip on the Cardinal. I have taken it

many times and enjoy the scenery through the New River Valley.

New York City is an interesting city. Generally, it is safe

if you are careful when and where you go. Use common sense.

There are several hotels within a few blocks of New York Penn Station.

There are Hilton Garden Inn hotels, a Hampton Inn and the Hotel New Yorker.

They are moderately priced (except for special events), clean and safe.

They are within walking distance of Penn Station.

Good Luck.

Just come with a full wallet and be prepared to experience a pace like you've never seen before. Everything is fast, faster and frantic in NYC NYC is a great place to visit. It has theater, world class museums, central park, a Zoo, sightseeing tours, boat rides, music, restaurants that serve just about any cuisine imaginable and world class shopping. Just stay South of about 86th street and you should be prefectly safe. For great hotel deals go to Hotwire or priceline and bid/buy according to your means. Just watch the star ratings and note the location before you go this route.

Just come with a full wallet
Just keep it well concealed :lol:

Seriously though New York City is an amazing place! New York is buzzing 24 hours a day, so you won't be alone on the streets walking to your hotel that night. I would recommend a visit.
New York to me is nothing more than a trash city full of rats and smell of urine. Its a disgusting place. just what is there to do here besides shopping? visit Lady Liberty? Please. that things nothing more than a rusted copper statue. Empire State Building? Wow, a tall building. thats new. In other words, new York sucks. By the way I live in this disgusting ghetto.

Last edited by a moderator:
New York to me is nothing more than a trash city full of rats and smell of urine. Its a disgusting place. just what is there to do here besides shopping? visit Lady Liberty? Please. that things nothing more than a rusted copper statue. Empire State Building? Wow, a tall building. thats new. In other words, new York sucks. By the way I live in this disgusting ghetto.
C'mon, tell us how you really feel!

Ya' gotta remember, what's old, stanky, and boring (tall buildings) to you, may be very exciting to others............

Last edited by a moderator:

Ya' gotta remember, what's old, stanky, and boring (tall buildings) to you, may be very exciting to others............
^Theres that.

Still doesnt change the fact that the entire city smells like urine.

Not to mention rude people.

Just come with a full wallet
Just keep it well concealed
laugh.gif

Seriously though New York City is an amazing place! New York is buzzing 24 hours a day, so you won't be alone on the streets walking to your hotel that night. I would recommend a visit.
The operative words there are "to me." To you, New York city may not be worth visiting. Many people do not share that opinion.

its not just not worth visiting. its trash, garbage. I want to help keep people out of it. Thats how much I hate this city.

^Theres that.

Still doesnt change the fact that the entire city smells like urine.

Not to mention rude people.
rude people? you don't say!

CNW, please don't be put off by one, ahem, rude person. NYC has a plethora of great activities and sights to see. It's best to always travel with a bit of caution and don't put yourself in situations or places where you are really uncomfortable, no matter what city you are visiting. travel sensibly and have fun! you might want to look into an organized tour, which would be a good way to see the sights for your first trip and would be a way of getting around that would put you at ease. a good way to look for a hotel would be to use googlemaps (this is a trick i often use myself). find penn station on the map, then enter "hotels" or "lodging" in the search bar. you'll be able to see what hotels are nearby and check their websites for more details. good luck and have fun! :)

There is nothing rude about warning people how disgusting this place is. Its a tourist trap. Many people say so. Spending a dime here is a waste.

As a tour bus driver at Grand Canyon and in Alaska serving cruise ship passengers, I must comment that New Yorkers to me are among my favorite passengers. They are usually friendly, interested, and are good tippers. The harsh New York accent may put off some people. I did have one notable exception this past summer, a lady from west 66th St., the cliche of the fussy, dissatisfied New Yorker. She was so awful she was hilarious. She told me " The food on the ship is very good. but it is too big. I'm going to have it out with that travel agent when I get home. They gave me the most awful cabin! It's so far from the elevator! " I could hardly heep a straight face. She did not like the tour, but at least was polite to me and said thank you, although she did not tip. But she was the exception. Go to New york by train and enjoy yourself and I think you will find most of the people to be just fine.

Not every New Yorker is as rude as you are. :rolleyes:
How is it rude that I am trying to tell the person from my own experience what a disaster this place is? Have you ever stepped outsie of New York Penn? Urine stench. All over the place as soon as you go near the 32nd street.

Not every New Yorker is as rude as you are. :rolleyes:
How is it rude that I am trying to tell the person from my own experience what a disaster this place is? Have you ever stepped outsie of New York Penn? Urine stench. All over the place as soon as you go near the 32nd street.
I lived in upper Manhattan for nearly a year, and trust me, our views couldn't be more different. My only regret is that I couldn't be anything more than a long-term visitor.

I wonder what makes your urine smell so different.

If you hate New York so much, why don't you move out? I mean, seriously, New York isn't exactly a cheap place to live (and, if it was so horrible, why would people be willing to spend so much money to live in really small apartments and condos?). So, you'd not only be doing yourself a favor by moving out, you'd probably also be saving a bunch of money, too.

If you hate New York so much, why don't you move out? I mean, seriously, New York isn't exactly a cheap place to live (and, if it was so horrible, why would people be willing to spend so much money to live in really small apartments and condos?). So, you'd not only be doing yourself a favor by moving out, you'd probably also be saving a bunch of money, too.
I will. I am planning on moving to Chicago or West coast. But right now I am going to school here.

Well, I live in Chicago, and, other than being less crowded and a bit cheaper, I'm not sure how (given your comments about New York) you could consider Chicago to be any better.

I will. I am planning on moving to Chicago or West coast. But right now I am going to school here.
Having lived in both, as well as visited numerous times, in all fairness, have to say that overall new York and Chicago are our finest two cities, everything you could want or hope to find is in both cities. And if you think ther West Coast is any better wait until you see the prices and the economy is sort of like a Bangledesh East! If you think parts of NYC or CHI are dirty etc. wait until you see parts of LA and Oakland! :eek: The exceptions would be Seattle and Portland, San Diego and San Francisco/Napa-Sonoma-Marin County but one must be wealthy already to live there! Just saying! Best overall place to live thats affordable is Central Texas, thats why so many are flocking Here! ;)

Have you actually visited those places to make sure they're not filled with rude people and the stench of urine as well?

I'm thinking of riding the Cardinal and would like to stay in New York city. Was born and raised in a "tank town" of 60 people, so although I want to stay in NYC I'm a little intimidated by the thought of it. What is the closest reputable and safe hotel to the station and what is the name of the station where I would be detraining. Is it Penn?
Does anyone have any more actual responses for the OP? The thread has been hijacked by a disgruntled, soon-(but not soon enough)to-be-ex-New Yorker, and I figure, since someone is visiting New York for the first time, perhaps it might be wise for those in the know to provide some advice to CNW rather than responding to someone who'se trying to make the thread about his own personal anger rather than helping someone in need of information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back