Zephyr - Nap, Il to Provo, Ut - August

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bearabull

Train Attendant
I have a couple questions after looking through some of the forum.
We are taking a family trip to Park City, Utah with the Zephyr train schedule to arrive around 9:35 pm in Provo, Ut.
On average, how late will this be? Was thinking of Provo as it would still be a decent time for family already in Park City to pick us up as Salt Lake City is scheduled for around 11pm. Wondering if it would be better to book to SLC in case it is a couple hours last and just get off in Provo if on time.

At the moment 1 Roomette is open. How long before departure is the best time to book a Roomette? If this one sells out, since it is still months away, would they most likely add another sleeper?

Should we book to Provo, what are the chances of being able to go on to SLC (next stop) for next to nothing?

Anything else we should know regarding this trip?

Thought of another question. Can you always get a coach seat the day of departure? Was going to go one way, but because of the schedule, may have a brother who is driving drop us of at a stop in Colorado for the trip back instead of flying back.

Last edited:
On average, how late will this be?

See https://juckins.net/amtrak_status/archive/html/history.php?train_num=5&station=pro&date_start=02/14/2019&date_end=03/16/2019&df1=1&df2=1&df3=1&df4=1&df5=1&df6=1&df7=1&sort=schDp&sort_dir=DESC&co=gt&limit_mins=&dfon=1. Keep in mind that some delays could be due to conditions that will not apply when you travel.
At the moment 1 Roomette is open. [...] If this one sells out, since it is still months away, would they most likely add another sleeper?

My expectation would be no.
Should we book to Provo, what are the chances of being able to go on to SLC (next stop) for next to nothing?

Slim, I believe. You could book the sleeper to Provo and coach tickets to Salt Lake City, but I wouldn't do that. I would book the sleeper to Salt Lake City and get off in Provo if it suited me. If you choose to do this, be sure to let your attendant or a conductor know that you well get off early. (If no one else is getting off, it is likely that the door will not be opened.)

Chances are good that the Zephyr will be somewhat late but no way to know on an individual basis. If cost is not a factor I would book the roomette to SLC and then make arrangements with the SCA to disembark at Provo. If your trip is scheduled for this summer, rooms will fill up fast. It is unlikely that Amtrak would add another sleeper since car inventories are limited. There is always a chance that someone might cancel their reservation but again, that is risky to wait for that to happen. Always nice to have the room if a major delay results in very late arrivals.

Thanks all. Since we were going to fly back, decided to fly in instead, then drive with my brother to Granby, co and take that train home for our first experience. Arrival and departure during afternoon, so should be much safer. Glad I asked here as made this decision a no brainer.

Thanks all. Since we were going to fly back, decided to fly in instead, then drive with my brother to Granby, co and take that train home for our first experience. Arrival and departure during afternoon, so should be much safer. Glad I asked here as made this decision a no brainer.

For even better scenery, it would be better to board about 3 hrs earlier in Glenwood Springs, CO. Also, there is much more to do around town in Glenwood Springs if the train is running late

thank you for the suggestion, but that looks to take him a little bit out of his way to get back home plus we would need to leave Park City earlier I think. Is Granby or Denver a better stop? Also, why is it a 4 hour difference as it seems Denver would be next stop after Granby?

thank you for the suggestion, but that looks to take him a little bit out of his way to get back home plus we would need to leave Park City earlier I think. Is Granby or Denver a better stop? Also, why is it a 4 hour difference as it seems Denver would be next stop after Granby?
After Granby the eastbound CZ runs down to the Winter Park ski area and the Moffat Tunnel, then winds its way slowly down the face of the Front Range to get to Denver. It's quite a spectacular trip.

Park City to Granby is a seven hour drive.

Park City to Glenwood Springs is a drive of 5 hours, 40 minutes.

Park City to Granby is a seven hour drive.

Park City to Glenwood Springs is a drive of 5 hours, 40 minutes.

And since Park City to Provo Amtrak station is just a 70 minute drive, it might make the most sense just to board in Park City.

Yes, it is in early morning, but do you want your friend to have a 14-hr drive roundtrip to Granby, or a 2.5 hour drive roundtrip to Provo. Especially since both routes will require either a departure or return arrival in the dark?

Back