Zephyr, Coast Starlight connections.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry H.

Conductor
HI,

Am planning a trip out west and return. Probably out on the Zephyr and up to Seattle to the Empire Builder. I have seen others ask about connections of the two from other trains.. I see there are about four places a person might connect with it going north.. Would like to avoid a hotel in Calf. if possible. Do you think it would be dependable to schedule a connection from the zephyr north on the Coast Starlight and not jepordize connections up the line. If so which would be the safest without wasting time.

The Zephyr on time performance has been very poor lately. If you are to try and make that connection, probably the best place to do it would be at Sacramento. If you ride all the way to Emeryville, you put that connection at serious risk. Also, the connection between the Starlight and the Builder is frequently done with busses out of Klamath falls or Eugene. The good news is that when you get to the Builder, it will probably be on time.

I agree with the above poster, if you go that way, make the transfer from the Zephyr to the Coast Starlight at the earliest possible point, that being Sacramento.

Better to find yourselves sitting in Sacramento looking for something to do for a few hours than to risk running late and missing the connection at Emeryville or one of the other stations in between.

Otherwise if you don't like that idea, then plan an overnight in the Emeryville area.

HI,
............ Would like to avoid a hotel in Calf. if possible. Do you think it would be dependable to schedule a connection from the zephyr north on the Coast Starlight and not jepordize connections up the line. If so which would be the safest without wasting time.
Remember, if Amtrak books your thru ticketing, they will take care of you if the connection is missed.

Since JaChooChoo mentioned the guaranteed connection, I took a quick look at the Amtrak site. It would seem that they consider the guaranteed conection to be Sacramento. So if you were to go beyond that point, it would be at your own risk, not Amtrak's if you miss the Coast Starlight.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is there to do in Sacramento while waiting for the connection? I'll be in that boat this April.

Maybe unfairly, I've always assumed it's a bit of a dead town. Any suggestions welcome.

What is there to do in Sacramento while waiting for the connection? I'll be in that boat this April.Maybe unfairly, I've always assumed it's a bit of a dead town. Any suggestions welcome.
Within easy walking distance of the Amtrak Station is Old Town, and there, not for from the station is The California State Railroad Museum. HERE are pictures I took there last year. Old town has some neat places and several nice restaurants, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back