Yet another SEA-MSP roomette trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NW cannonball

Conductor
Rode the lower-level roomette SEA - MSP.

First adventure was cutting it too close on boarding. Took the Rapid Ride "D" line from Ballard - but didn't understand that the last stop in downtown was the Seneca Street stop about 3/4 mile from the King Street station. Stayed aboard the bus, and the next stop was out in West Seattle somewhere - crossed the road, waited 5 minutes, and rode the same line (called "C" from Seneca on) back to Seneca Street. But wasted at least 20 minutes, more like 30. Got off at Seneca Street, but now a 15-minute medium-fast hike to the King Street station. Arrived station about 04:25 PM,

Showed paper e-ticket, the first trackside person would have sent me to the "14" car way at the back but I knew I was in the "31" car and said so. (could be a minor problem for new riders). Hugged my son and boarded. Less than 10 minutes to departure - no real problem. Once aboard and in roomette, no problems.

Signed up for the 6 PM dinner in the diner - knowing that I wanted to see the Snohomish - Skykomish climb from the diner. Here's my note about dinner "Supper was small beef round with carrots and some kind of pasta round thingys." I really didn't care - far too busy watching the geology as the train climbed up, and up, into the Cascades.

Napped for a bit, woke up for the long stop in Spokane, where we arrived early -- before 00:13 . With over an hour before departure, walked over to Sprague, which on Saturday night, was hopping. Didn't visit the East end of Sprague, partly because it has a bad rep, partly because of time, and partly because the loudest "heavy metal" place nearest the Amtrak platform near the boundary between E Sprague and W Sprague was sooo loud.

Next stop I was awake at was Whitefish - classic "Rocky Mountain" architecture station, and pretty darn busy with the "not end-to-end" passengers from both East and West.

The long stretch across Montana and North Dakota is familiar to me -- had some good conversation in lounge and diner .

Tried to stay awake after Minot - wanted to assess the track condition and delays between Minot and Fargo, but fell asleep, even with the surge and sway on jointed track.

Woke before Saint Cloud, thinking we were approaching MSP -- wrong, lost at least 90 minutes in ND.

Breakfast in the diner -- very interesting tablemates - a retired Civil Engineer and his schoolteacher wife, and another Civil Engineer single mom quitting her oilfields job to go overseas.

One of these persons confessed that (he/she) was the a$$0le who had been hitting the attendant call button every few minutes. He/she was asleep, and his/her head had been hitting the call button. Apology accepted.

Arrived MSP a bit late. Forgot the tip for Patrick, SCA, which I'd put in my front shirt pocket so as not to forget. Sent a message via the Amtrak website to report how competent he was - was there when needed, briefed new passengers appropriately, kept the bathrooms clean, met all job requirements, etc. Amtrak sent an acknowledgement, hope it helps him.

I do this trip every few years - enjoyed this one as usual.

Napped for a bit, woke up for the long stop in Spokane, where we arrived early -- before 00:13 . With over an hour before departure, walked over to Sprague, which on Saturday night, was hopping. Didn't visit the East end of Sprague, partly because it has a bad rep, partly because of time, and partly because the loudest "heavy metal" place nearest the Amtrak platform near the boundary between E Sprague and W Sprague was sooo loud.

What?? No love for the local businesswomen on East Sprague??? ;) :lol: That area has been cleaned up quite a bit to what it was, though the reputation it has is still very well warranted.

What?? No love for the local businesswomen on East Sprague??? ;) :lol: That area has been cleaned up quite a bit to what it was, though the reputation it has is still very well warranted.
It kinda looked that way to me, from a distance -- didn't want to look closer, and didn't have the time.

It kinda looked that way to me, from a distance -- didn't want to look closer, and didn't have the time.
I don't blame you for not wanting to look closer. The East Sprague area is one to be avoided if possible, though as I said it's a lot better than it was. I used to work for a janitorial company in Spokane and I had a couple of buildings I used to clean near there and I drove through there every night. Windows on my car locked, of course.

It's possible to get off the EB in Spokane? I always just slept through it.
I have been surprised over the years at how many people I've seen get off at Spokane to stretch their legs and use the restrooms and vending machines in Spokane's station, especially westbound when the EB gets into Spokane around 1:30 AM or so. So, yes it's possible and many people do it.

Incidentally, NW, I always choose the 6PM dinner seating out of Seattle, too, and for the same reason you do, that to see the climb from Snohomish to Skykomish (home of the Skykomish Rockets, state B classification basketball champions of 1954! :lol: ) from the diner. Last time I had dinner on the EB out of Seattle, it was a bit late getting started and the four of us so thoroughly enjoyed the conversation at dinner that we were in the diner during the run through the Cascade Tunnel. To me that made the dinner and conversation even better. To me there's just something about the ambiance of a meal on Amtrak while passing through a long tunnel

Incidentally, NW, I always choose the 6PM dinner seating out of Seattle, too, and for the same reason you do, that to see the climb from Snohomish to Skykomish (home of the Skykomish Rockets, state B classification basketball champions of 1954! :lol: ) from the diner. Last time I had dinner on the EB out of Seattle, it was a bit late getting started and the four of us so thoroughly enjoyed the conversation at dinner that we were in the diner during the run through the Cascade Tunnel. To me that made the dinner and conversation even better. To me there's just something about the ambiance of a meal on Amtrak while passing through a long tunnel
For sure - the climb into the Cascades to Stevens pass is one of the most scenic -- "scenic" is too weak a word.

Didn't mention in original post, but the situation in the diner was much as you describe -- we all didn't need much small talk, because we were all mostly looking out the windows, until the long tunnel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back