X-Train Chugging Along?

Discussion in 'Freight, International and Other Rail' started by Anderson, Aug 18, 2012.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

1. Jun 29, 2013 #101

Anderson

A

Anderson

Conductor

Ok, let me take up a position in LVRE's shoes. Assuming there's no real estate development attached to this, then I'd guess that we're looking at a plan for a single station-and-maintenance-facility location. My guess is that the Plaza location would have required a separate turning facility, so they would have needed two locations in Las Vegas, not one, so this is a cost-saving measure. Moreover, the Plaza location isn't bad, but it's not great.

So, shifting back to LVRE's shoes, I'd go for whatever I could afford...which probably means "not near the Strip" right now. It is plausible that, presuming the operation is a success, they would want to set up a second station actually at the Strip somewhere but that such just isn't in the cards right now. 'course, it's also possible that negotiations with the Plaza folks went south and this is a dubious "Plan B" that got shoved together in the face of an increasingly tight deadline.

2. Jul 6, 2013 #102

GG-1

G

GG-1

Conductor Honored Member

3. Jul 8, 2013 #103

RobertB

RobertB

RobertB

Train Attendant

Looks like a lot of what us in the software business call "vaporware". When you're about to miss your release date, add a bunch more features (none of which you've actually created or even really planned) and try to keep the hype machine moving.

Here's one interesting statement - maybe they should have just started with private car service in the first place?

The most telling tidbit is the one that didn't get mentioned. They're out $600k to UP unless they ponied up additional dough - back in March.

If you make that deadline, you tell the world. If you don't...

4. Jul 8, 2013 #104

VentureForth

VentureForth

VentureForth

Conductor

Alright railfans! Put your money where your mouth is! 7.5 CENTS per share!!! We can all become massive millionaires if we all just invest $1000 each and tell all our friends, too! This is going to be a HUGE success! No way they'll lose.

[/sarcasm]

5. Jul 8, 2013 #105

RobertB

RobertB

RobertB

Train Attendant

Seven and a half cents? It was just seven cents this morning. That's a seven percent increase in a day! That means that at this time next year, each share will be worth $8,736,189,635.44 (give or take a few thousand bucks). Looks like we'd better get on board and become billionaires!

Disclaimer: Some of the information on this Forum Posting may contain projections or other forward-looking statements regarding future events or the future financial performance of the Company. We wish to caution you that these statements are only predictions and that actual events or results may differ materially. Exponential growth would not be a realistic expectation, even if this company weren't selling oceanfront property in Arizona Nevada. Also, math - learn it.

6. Jul 11, 2013 #106

afigg

a

afigg

Conductor

Another Las Vegas Review Journal article on LVRE which makes me wonder just how shaky the prospects are for the X-Train. Before one goes public with the idea of connecting luxury cars to an Amtrak LD train, I think most people would agree that would be a good idea to have extended discussions with Amtrak first.

Amtrak: No discussions on LV Railway attaching lounge cars

Excerpt:

Southwest Limited? My guess is that the reporter jumbled up the SWC with the Sunset Limited because LVRE stated they were looking at several Amtrak routes.

7. Jul 19, 2013 #107

VentureForth

VentureForth

VentureForth

Conductor

This is really the part that gets me:

This just appears to be a big group of arrogant railfans who don't have a clue about railroading.

They are at 6 cents today.

The problem is that they have no assets. Nothing to sell when they run out of cash. Half of their listed assets is cash and the other half is intangible, including $800,000 of "goodwill".

Another fundamental flaw of fledgling companies is announcing products before they are ready - which is what this Amtrak stuff is about - AND before they are successful with their primary venture.

It's very interesting - I used to work for a start up company and the flamboyant CEO made that comment. Then announced a new product, even though the first one wasn't successful yet. Guess what? They bankrupted.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2013
  8. Jul 19, 2013 #108

jis

jis

jis

Conductor AU Lifetime Supporter Gathering Team Member

Just curious..... how much construction of anything resembling a station has taken place at the station site? Or are they just planning to use an Amslab .... er an LVRSlab as the station for starters?

9. Jul 19, 2013 #109

George Harris

G

George Harris

Conductor

Southwest limited is probably the right name. The connection would be at Barstow, about 160 miles from LA. It gets closer to Las Vegas than the Sunset Limited. Its closest point is only about 40 miles out of LA, which would make the connection hardly worthwhile. I have no idea of what "several" Amtrak routes they could be looking at otherwise. The whole thing appears to be nothing more than hot air.

10. Nov 14, 2013 #110

CHamilton

CHamilton

CHamilton

Conductor AU Supporter Gathering Team Member

An X Train press release announced that it had

11. Nov 15, 2013 #111

afigg

a

afigg

Conductor

Yep, the prospects for the X-Train do not look good. A google search turns up a number of news story on the latest change of course for the X-Train plans. Las Vegas Review-Journal: Plans for party train between Las Vegas-L.A. derailed. An excerpt:

The boldface on the forfeit of $600K to UP is mine. Well, at least, UP got some money out of this. I think a daily Amtrak LA to Vegas train could be successful, however it would need funding and support from CA and NV. Meanwhile, I guess the Las Vegas Railway Express management will continue to announce plans without having signed agreements with Amtrak or anyone else first.

12. Nov 15, 2013 #112

GG-1

G

GG-1

Conductor Honored Member

Aloha

When I tracked down the North Las Vegas location last month for the X-train station I had my doubts about their ability to complete, or intentions to complete the project. This location is in the middle of scrap yards, and industrial locations. Also the stated "5 minutes to the strip hotels" is bogus from the station location. At the 5:00pm scheduled arrival time the traffic would require maybe an hour to get to the strip hotels.

Since both states failed to support the Desert Wind so under what assumption do they think their apparent pipe dream would the states support them.

I am extremely disappointed.

13. Nov 15, 2013 #113

jis

jis

jis

The Southwest Chief was called the Southwest Limited before Santa Fe allowed Amtrak to use the word "Chief" again. I guess the Amtrak guy just remembered the old name. :)

14. Nov 15, 2013 #114

ALC Rail Writer

ALC Rail Writer

ALC Rail Writer

Conductor

Eh hem.

15. Nov 15, 2013 #115

CHamilton

CHamilton

CHamilton

From the AP report, it sounds like X Train just can't raise the money they need.

16. Nov 15, 2013 #116

jis

jis

jis

I (and many others that I know) have been known to often use the term "guy" to refer to a person irrespective of gender or sexual orientation. :) So this is nothing new. If someone wants to obsess over it, well .... :expect to keep obsessing for a long long time :p

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2013
  17. Nov 15, 2013 #117

AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Conductor Gathering Team Member

I too use guy for males & females.

18. Nov 15, 2013 #118

Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Conductor

This must be a Northern thing! :p Here in the South/Southwest '"Guy" means a Male! I would compare it to "Dude" which Definitely is a Term used for a Male! ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2013
  19. Dec 4, 2013 #119

CHamilton

CHamilton

CHamilton

Press release:

X Train to Seek Strategic Public Private Partnerships to Roll Out High End Service on Existing Passenger Rail Routes

20. Dec 4, 2013 #120

Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Conductor

Hooked to WHAT Passenger Trains? The Desert Wind Perhaps?? :rolleyes:

21. Dec 4, 2013 #121

jis

jis

jis

In another screed they did say Southwest Limited ;)

22. Dec 4, 2013 #122

Blackwolf

Blackwolf

Blackwolf

Conductor

Seems to me that they're looking at what Iowa Pacific is doing with their Pullman Rail Journeys.

23. Dec 4, 2013 #123

jis

jis

jis

Exactly!

24. Dec 4, 2013 #124

Paulus

P

Paulus

Conductor

More like a party car on the Surfliner or other route it seems. It's not necessarily a bad idea, I've floated the idea before that a CCC as a bar/grill car or regular diner cars (with a quick turnaround men/service) might do reasonably well on the busier routes or trains. Friday night Surfliners will easily get 1000 passengers between LA and San Diego in the off-season, I'd be surprised at not being able to recoup marginal costs of such a venture (there may be other issues at play of course like regulations concerning platform length). Wouldn't trust X-Train with it of course.

25. Dec 5, 2013 #125

Blackwolf

Blackwolf

Blackwolf

Conductor

I don't know. I have great difficulty in understanding just WHO X-Train is, nevermind what kind of incredible funding sources they advertise as having. But this line really has me scratching my head: "The first such delivery of Club X Train cars is scheduled to start this month as the cars begin arriving December 9th here in Las Vegas."

Uh, do we have anyone with an idea as to which railcar manufacturer has been secretly building and/or refurbishing existing stock behind our backs? I mean, the 9th is next Monday! :help: