Wow! Inexpensive touch of class. Hope for the future?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New feature from NOL-based crew. Placecards in the room. Has Crescent logo and picture of Amtrak train along with WELCOME ABOARD and our names all pre-printed on a 4"x5.5" folded card. SCA says NOL crews came up with idea. They wanted some way to show passengers they are appreciated. At least some Amtrak people appreciate their customers! So unlike La Bruja (the witch) at NYP Acela club.

Between the placard and a new diner, all we need is a partition door to not rattle to feel like sleeper class is first class.

I got that on the Silver Star several weeks back during the trip to Columbia SC for the Eclipse. I also got it several months back on my random trip to Cary on the Silver Star connecting to the Piedmont to Charlotte.

I have had them on most trips on the Silver Meteor.

I've had that on trains in Europe every time I've traveled with a reserved seat or a reserved sleeper. Name, date, seat number (or sleeper), destination.

That happened at least once for me, and it had to be almost a year ago or earlier (and well over a year ago if it was a train that touched New Orleans). Perhaps the idea has been floating around for some time and recently spread.

I've had that on trains in Europe every time I've traveled with a reserved seat or a reserved sleeper. Name, date, seat number (or sleeper), destination.
I've had the same thing in five star hotels and in first class on intercontinental flights.

Perhaps the idea has been floating around for some time and recently spread.
It's an idea that's been in actual practice for decades if not longer, although it's a relatively recent development on Amtrak. I'm not really big on these sort of things, I guess I'm just a bit too cynical to think it means anything, but it must be helpful on some level for so many businesses to do this.

Recently on the Silver Meteor, the was such a card in our roomette.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Thanks, guys!

Those would be nice keepsakes. I usually save my ticket, lounge pass, seat check, etc.

Thanks, guys!

Those would be nice keepsakes. I usually save my ticket, lounge pass, seat check, etc.
I am attempting to become a minimalist, so I virtually save nothing, other than my tickets (for a while to make sure I get those much coveted points). As much as I ride the Meteor, maybe I should have my name card so I can resuse it in a week or so.

Thanks, guys!

I am attempting to become a minimalist, so I virtually save nothing, other than my tickets (for a while to make sure I get those much coveted points). As much as I ride the Meteor, maybe I should have my name card so I can resuse it in a week or so.
As much as you ride the Meteor the should have a gold nameplate for you. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

I've seen too. Recently I rode the CS up to KFS, had a great LSA in PPC, I made sure to write The Company:

"...........Oscar was working in the Pacific Parlour Car, (PPC). The PPC is thee single best asset that Amtrak has, besides the Great Dome. People, well, "me", ride trains for the scenery and ambiance. (outside of corridors....) and the PPC provides that equipment, the route provides the scenery, and Oscar provided the ambiance. He was truly THEE BEST OBS employee I have encountered in at least 10 years of riding Amtrak. (I have traveled every route within Amtrak, several, like the CS, multiple times) Oscar was attentive, without being obtrusive. He jumped in to help fill other duties when another crew member had to be removed for a medical emergency. Oscar made the wine tasting seem like, well, "A wine tasting" instead of just reading about the selections like so many other LSAs tend to do. Oscar is one of the reasons that people who were on that train with me that day, would consider riding Amtrak again. You need more like Oscar, truly a gem!....."

Another side note, (since I haven't posted here in like thirty nine years) the Lamb Shank was simply stunning. Best meal in at least ten, if not fifteen years. Served in the PPC, just phenomenal.
lamb_shank.jpg

Back