Would this routing fly?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Iron

Conductor
I've only redeemed AGR points once and it was a simple routing that can be booked on-line. What I'm hoping to do is this:

RVR-WAS to connect to the Cardinal to CHI. Amtrak on-line routes to from RVR-CVS by bus to connect. I'd like to leave from DC to get some new route miles under my belt........and a lunch given the 11:05 departure. It's allowable using multi-city trip, just curious if AGR would allow this.

The return would be CHI-CVS-RVR so no problem there.

Thanks!!

If it does not come up as a possible route using "A to B" (NOT multi-city!), then AGR most likely will not book it. However, if you try the sleeper rule, then maybe it might work!
Please explain the sleeper rule? I'm an AGR noob. I do plan to take sleeper both ways between WAS-CHI and CHI-CVS

Another option is to pay for the train RVR to WAS then use points for WAS to RVR. AGR can book both for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it does not come up as a possible route using "A to B" (NOT multi-city!), then AGR most likely will not book it. However, if you try the sleeper rule, then maybe it might work!
Please explain the sleeper rule? I'm an AGR noob. I do plan to take sleeper both ways between WAS-CHI and CHI-CVS
You'd have to take some sort of sleeper service from RVR to WAS.

Basically, the rule allows a non-published routing to be booked if both of these conditions apply:

1. All listed routes have at least one portion without sleeper service.

2. A routing exists that has all sleepers. (I'd suspect it would have to be a "logical" routing, too; e.g. DEN - LAX couldn't be done via CHI, but would have to be done via EMY.)

You'd have to take some sort of sleeper service from RVR to WAS.

Basically, the rule allows a non-published routing to be booked if both of these conditions apply:

1. All listed routes have at least one portion without sleeper service.

2. A routing exists that has all sleepers. (I'd suspect it would have to be a "logical" routing, too; e.g. DEN - LAX couldn't be done via CHI, but would have to be done via EMY.)
Thanks, looks like I'll pony up the funds for the RVR-WAS segment as the route does have sleeper service with the Silver trains.

I just tried a test booking and the on'y #51 option was the bus from RVR-CVS. Thanks for giving me something to test out though. I've decided its best to just pay for the RVR-WAS segment and call it a day.

Just depart from Ashland, and it will route you via Ashland to Alexandria in Business class, and you then get the Viewliner room from Alexandria to Chicago on the Cardinal. And you get lunch.

It's also very scenic between Alexandria to CVS, especially after Fairfax Station.

Thanks ABC, i couldn't see the forest for the trees. This works!! I used to work in Ashland almost right across from the station.

Back