Winter Park Ski Train 2019/2020

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a private car restriction in Denver. Remind me tomorrow and I’ll tell you
Egad!
I was invited to join the happy hour crawl at Denver back in 1982, when about 20 or so PV's occupied two station tracks on one platform...an experience I'll never forget...
A shame if it could not happen there again...

The old Vista Dome Ski Train once ran with 14 cars plus locomotives, but the current Winter Park Express has only 7 cars (6 coaches, 1 lounge) plus locomotives. That's why the platform length limitations at Denver (14 cars) are irrelvant to it.

Platform issues at Winter Park and problems with occupying & stopping on the main line are a much bigger deal.

As UP coal traffic declines and UP traffic is shifted to Wyoming, they may be more willing to have a passenger train occupying the mainline for longer (allowing a second daily run, or multiple stops).

I rode the original Ski Train prior to the ex-Tempo cars...there were usually 8 heavyweight former NP cars, a lightweight
combine (former Prospector coach-baggage), and a pair of GP-40’s.
They laid over at the wye in Tabernash.

I rode the original Ski Train prior to the ex-Tempo cars...there were usually 8 heavyweight former NP cars, a lightweight
combine (former Prospector coach-baggage), and a pair of GP-40’s.
They laid over at the wye in Tabernash.

Rode both versions. Both laid over on the wye at Tabernash.

Back