Windy City Exp. Tix 4 Sale

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Friends of the 261 have announced that tickets are on sale for their 2014 Windy City Express, leaving MSP behind #8 on June 20, and returning from CHI to MSP behing #7 on June 21. Tickets are $179 o/w and $319 r/t.

Here is a link to the webpage at the FOT261's website.

From the webpage:

Friends of the 261 is offering a chance this summer to ride vintage passenger cars from the Twin Cities to Milwaukee and Chicago this June. Our fully restored cars offer a memorable journey you’ll cherish for years to come! Meticulously refurbished, these cars recall the era when traveling was half the fun of a vacation.

Ride the rails in style between Minneapolis and Chicago in an all-matched train painted in the orange and maroon colors of Milwaukee Road passenger trains of the 1950s. This trip will feature our premier rolling stock, including the following:

Super Dome 53: Premium Class Dining and Dome Car and*
Lamberts Point: Premium Class Business Observation Car*
Folks,

Lambert's Point is an open platform car, which I can tell you is awesome to be out on as one cruises through the Wisconsin countryside. Food (which is WAY better than Amtrak's) and drinks (adult and otherwise) are included in the ticket price.

I'm not sure I'm going to be able to make this trip due to a possible conflict with my schedule, but I'm sure going to try!

It would be easier if it were a Saturday/Sunday, but I'll bookmark it just in case. Thanks for the heads-up!

I have really wanted to make this sort of trek along the Mississippi, though ideally behind the 261.

Last edited by a moderator:
The return date of the Chicago Friends of 261 excursion has been changed from June 21 to Sunday, June 22.

This is the second time they have corrected their annoucement. When it first came out they said the dome car and the Lamberts Point would be used. But they showed a photo of the party car instead of the LP. In addition, July dates were included which made it clear as mud.

I called them about the confusing photo and dates which they corrected. Now days later they are correcting another error on the return day.

The Friends of the 261 have announced that tickets are on sale for their 2014 Windy City Express, leaving MSP behind #8 on June 20, and returning from CHI to MSP behing #7 on June 21. Tickets are $179 o/w and $319 r/t.

Here is a link to the webpage at the FOT261's website.

From the webpage:

Friends of the 261 is offering a chance this summer to ride vintage passenger cars from the Twin Cities to Milwaukee and Chicago this June. Our fully restored cars offer a memorable journey you’ll cherish for years to come! Meticulously refurbished, these cars recall the era when traveling was half the fun of a vacation.

Ride the rails in style between Minneapolis and Chicago in an all-matched train painted in the orange and maroon colors of Milwaukee Road passenger trains of the 1950s. This trip will feature our premier rolling stock, including the following:

Super Dome 53: Premium Class Dining and Dome Car and*

Lamberts Point: Premium Class Business Observation Car*
Folks,

Lambert's Point is an open platform car, which I can tell you is awesome to be out on as one cruises through the Wisconsin countryside. Food (which is WAY better than Amtrak's) and drinks (adult and otherwise) are included in the ticket price.

I'm not sure I'm going to be able to make this trip due to a possible conflict with my schedule, but I'm sure going to try!
Dude, do you EVER work?

I am jealous of your lifestyle, you me hero!

Hey, I'd love to get together again this summer, maybe I can head down to VA - area for a day. You pick a diner that beats the "Paper Moon".

Dude, do you EVER work?

I am jealous of your lifestyle, you me hero!

Hey, I'd love to get together again this summer, maybe I can head down to VA - area for a day. You pick a diner that beats the "Paper Moon".
As it turned out, for a break this spring I got kinda busy for a spell, so hence the delay in replying. :huh:

Yeah, doing something this summer sounds great. I'll keep an ear open for railroad museums in the area that are having a yard sale, :blink: and I'll think about diners in the area... I'm not sure we have anything quite in the same league as Paper Moon, but there are some options - though I think I'd spare you from Elsie's Magic Skillet... :lol:

The Davey Crockett:

Lambert's Point is an open platform car, which I can tell you is awesome to be out on as one cruises...
No argument from us! We had full run of three of the five cars (Lambert's Point, dome diner and our sleeper the Minnesota River) for 4 nights and 2695 miles as we travel EMY-SEA-MSP.

Portland, OR on the CS.

September2013034_zps44d28b09.jpg

Some of us 'toasting' Vancouver WA on the back porch as we leave for Seattle.

September2013037_zps453aab48.jpg

At Seattle, they disconnected our five cars at King St. Station were we spent the night

and free to do the tourist thing in Seattle.

The next afternoon they pulled the cars out into the yard to connecct them to the EB.

Below, they are alongside the Seahawks' stadium pulling back into the station to

board passenger.

September2013041_zps70fd77d9.jpg

We had full run of three of the five cars (Lambert's Point, dome diner and our sleeper the Minnesota River) for 4 nights and 2695 miles as we travel EMY-SEA-MSP.
Saw-Wheat!

I would really like to take one of the FO261's longer trips one day.

:hi: THANKS for sharing! :hi:

I'm on this run from CHI - MSP tomorrow. Hope to have video from the open platform leaving Chicago to Glenview, leaving Milwaukee to just past Pewaukee Lake, and La Crosse to Red Wing along the Mississippi (if we're not running so late that it gets too dark). My daughter got me a suction cup camera mount for Christmas, so I'm hoping to put it to good use!

Back