Wind Warnings & Sandusky Bay Bridge Amtrak Traffic

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Railroad Bill

Buckeye Train Watcher
AU Supporting Member
With our current winds gusting to over 60 mph and continuing until tomorrow morning I am wondering if the eastbound 30 and 48 will be delayed in Ohio.  NS had often prohibited traffic across the Sandusky Bay bridge west of Sandusky when winds endanger high container trains.  This has happened to a couple of our Amtrak trips in the past.  I would suppose those trains would layup at Toledo until clearances are given.  As of 8:35 pm, I have seen no notices on Amtrak site.  We shall see. 

The one thing I can tell you about high winds on bridges is that NS will try to put a train on the Rockville Bridge to try to block the winds from hitting Double Stack trains. It's usually a coal train if they have one to use. 

The one thing I can tell you about high winds on bridges is that NS will try to put a train on the Rockville Bridge to try to block the winds from hitting Double Stack trains. It's usually a coal train if they have one to use. 
Sounds like a similar strategy as railroad flood response—parking a heavy train on a bridge to anchor it against rising current.

Back