Williamsburg - just..(times of train to DC)?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, I have a conference in Williamsburg. Does anyone have any idea WHY Amtrak just decided to cancel the evening train to DC on weekdays, leaving only the oh dark thirty 'military wants to get their soldiers to the Pentagon by 10am' option?

I have to take a 5:42am train the day after a draining conference now...I'd at least like to know why. The CSR I talked to had no clue.

(I don't do well with long distance bus travel).

Is it track work? What? Has anyone heard anything?

If you're talking about train 66, the 5:11pm train from WBG to WAS, I still see it. What makes you think it is canceled on weekdays?

I meant to say on the week I'm traveling. I have been seriously considering canceling the trip, because 5:42am is just *ridiculous*.

If you're talking about train 66, the 5:11pm train from WBG to WAS, I still see it. What makes you think it is canceled on weekdays?

She's referring to 174. Leaving at 5:41am When 94 moved to NFK Amtrak sent 174 to NPN. Which departs from NPN at 5:20am.

As for the evening train being cancelled, there are no service alerts posted. Can you provide us with a little more info like a travel date? That might be able to help us, help you.

I just did a test booking for the 26th. 66 is cancelled from NPN to RVR. Thirdrail do you have any ideas??

April 8.

It was already close to trip ruining when they moved the reasonably-timed 9am train to that early (I have a sleep disorder that is aggravated by getting up before about 6).

And no, there isn't a trip alert on it, or I wouldn't be asking. Amtrak is refusing to tell me what's going on. The CSR I talked to who tried to get me to book for a different DAY then realized that wasn't possible didn't know either. Very poor customer service.

It comes back the week after, but obviously that does me no good.

Last year, a friend of mine had to hitch a ride back from the SAME conference because they canceled all trains that weekend and she had to be back in the office on Monday...I'm starting to think that I'm going to have to switch to Greyhound. Apparently I just can't trust Amtrak for Williamsburg in April.

Does anyone have any idea WHY Amtrak just decided to cancel the evening train to DC on weekdays, leaving only the oh dark thirty 'military wants to get their soldiers to the Pentagon by 10am' option?

When you look at what is posted above...

She's referring to 174. Leaving at 5:41am When 94 moved to NFK Amtrak sent 174 to NPN. Which departs from NPN at 5:20am..

It is quite clear she is talking about 66 being canceled, which only leaves 174.

And no, there isn't a trip alert on it, or I wouldn't be asking. Amtrak is refusing to tell me what's going on. The CSR I talked to who tried to get me to book for a different DAY then realized that wasn't possible didn't know either. Very poor customer service.

Nothing is published on this outage at this time. When you couple this with 67 also being canceled RVR-NPN, this leads me to believe that the host has provided notification that track work is on horizon. When this occurs, operations puts a hold on the space until an operating plan is crafted.

It is unlikely customer service would know why the train is canceled since it hasn't been made public nor has an operating plan been completed.

Bustitution may be in play but I'm skeptical . I guess we'll find out.

They already gave me the choice between the 5:42am train and a refund. I'll keep an eye on it and maybe if they add a later train back in... I dunno.

But what it's looking like with the added data from 67 is an extended distance of single tracking.

It was already close to trip ruining when they moved the reasonably-timed 9am train to that early (I have a sleep disorder that is aggravated by getting up before about 6).

That was done because the state requested the schedule change. They heavily subsidize service in the State of Virginia, so that's on them.

I actually heard it was the base at Norfolk that requested that. But when there's only two trains a day...

But the navy can put pressure on the state, and who else would want a train that gets into DC in time for morning meetings at the Pentagon? :p.

The state of Virginia has heavily invested in Passenger rail over the past 5 years or so. With service starting to Lynchburg and then being extended to Roanoke, service beginning to Norfolk, and expanded service to Richmond. Far from the Navy putting pressure on the state to begin paying for a service. ;)

Yeah. Apparently Williamsburg gets screwed. (All the press releases say they won't "harm" Williamsburg, but I can't imagine ridership going UP on a train moved from a time that is reasonable for most people to a time that is inconvenient for most). And I def. read something about the base being involved in the decision.

Actually, this may be a plus for the town of Williamsburg. There's an evening train still on the weekends, plus a morning one that leaves a little later than the weekday one. So I would think people would take vacation days, stay in a hotel there, and do some sightseeing, which is the main point of going there. (There's no point in going to a tourist destination for work and then just leaving and not seeing anything.) Then they could leave on the weekend, and the town gets more people staying longer and spending their tourist money there.

Plus, the early weekday train has a good schedule for people who have to go all the way up to Boston--it gets into the cities all the way up the northeast corridor at decent times, even a decent evening time in Boston.

That's a good point, on the Boston schedule. And there is normally an evening train on weekdays. The cancellation pattern looks like they're doing an extended length of single tracking, probably to try and get repairs done quickly.

Just seems like April is a bad time to go to Williamsburg :/. Last year, they canceled all trains with no bustitution for the weekend of the same conference, which was real bad for the people who had to be back in the office on Monday rather than Tuesday. I'm starting to think that April must be a quiet month for the tourist stuff and thus the "best" time to do all the track work :(.

I actually heard it was the base at Norfolk that requested that. But when there's only two trains a day...
Wherever and whoever you heard this from is wrong. Sailors are specifically prohibited from using public transportation between Norfolk and the Northern Virginia/DC area. The only approved method of travel is a POV or GOV.

A service advisory was just posted today regarding this train.

Due to CSX trackwork, trains 66 and 67 will originate/terminate at Richmond Staples Mill Rd on the following dates: March 25-28; April 1-4 and April 8-11. No alternate transportation provided.

Wherever and whoever you heard this from is wrong. Sailors are specifically prohibited from using public transportation between Norfolk and the Northern Virginia/DC area. The only approved method of travel is a POV or GOV.

I'm curious to hear where you heard that. Cause as Ryan stated.. It's not true.

That's interesting, as the civilians stationed there take the train all the time.

I actually had to justify not flying down there from DC.

Glad to see that NAVSEA has you busy. :) My Dad was all over the East Coast at times. Newport News, New London at one point, Newport, and was frequently in "Fun City" aka Washington, DC, the list goes on where they would send him.

A service advisory was just posted today regarding this train.

Due to CSX trackwork, trains 66 and 67 will originate/terminate at Richmond Staples Mill Rd on the following dates: March 25-28; April 1-4 and April 8-11. No alternate transportation provided.

About time they gave us an answer. Sheesh.

Are you referring to official travel (TAD/TDY) or personal travel?

Are you referring to official travel (TAD/TDY) or personal travel?
I'm curious to hear where you heard that. Cause as Ryan stated.. It's not true.

I was talking about Sailors, not DOD civilians or contractors. IAW the JTR official travel (TAD/TDY) less than 400 miles one way has to be completed by a GMV or in rare cases a PMV. Again I’m talking about official travel for uniformed service members, not civilians.

Yeah, to be clear I was expressing surprise that you guys got the short end. The guys from down there love taking the trains up for meetings.

You don't have a cite handy for where that's in the JTR by chance, do you? I like collecting facts. :D

You don't have a cite handy for where that's in the JTR by chance, do you? I like collecting facts. :D
I doubt there's a cite. I skimmed and keyword searched this afternoon. For the record, the JTR covers DoD civilians and military.

Now 400 miles is a "magic number" in the JTR. Trips father than 400 miles one way default to commercial air. However 400 miles is the also cutoff for a constructed travel worksheet meaning POV travel doesn't have to be justified below 400 miles. However, rental cars, trains, buses and even planes may still be on the table as approving officials cannot require POV travel. Since I doubt the Norfolk-area motorpools have enough GSA cars for everyone so I bet some are indeed taking the train. The Defense Travel System (online orders and booking) can do Amtrak and the Acela, although as business class, Acela needs additional justification.

Last edited:
Back