Will there be changes to Silver Star dining in October?

Discussion in 'Guest Forum for Amtrak Questions' started by MDRailfan, Jul 18, 2019.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

1. Jul 18, 2019 #1
    I posted before as a guest asking about Silver Star and whether the train will stay same it is now or will change to the Contemporary Dining in Oct as well as other questions. Penny referred me to a member site on this subject which I'm not. I will be on the Silver Star in Nov and would like to know if anyone knows the answer.

dogbert617 likes this.
  2. Jul 18, 2019 #2

MikefromCrete

M

MikefromCrete

Conductor

Right now, it's not exactly clear what, if anything, will happen to the Star's food service on Oct. 1. The traditional diners on the Silver Meteor and Crescent will be replaced by the "contemporary" food service. The coach diner on the Auto Train will be replaced by a cafe car in January.
    It's unclear if there will be any changes on the Cardinal and CONO. Stay tuned for further information as it becomes available.

3. Jul 18, 2019 #3
    Thanks. Will check back for any further info on SS.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2019
  4. Jul 18, 2019 #4

chrsjrcj

c

chrsjrcj

OBS Chief

While nothing confirmed, I am willing to bet nothing will change for the Silver Star.

5. Jul 18, 2019 #5

dogbert617

d

dogbert617

OBS Chief

With no diner car as of now on both the Silver Star(vation) and Cardinal, it's weird to think contemporary dining would be a tad better than the status quo (no dining car), if Amtrak were to add contemporary to those 2 routes. Though I really wish Amtrak would tweak contemporary more on Cap and Lake Shore first, before adding that type of dining to more cars.

Bob Dylan likes this.
  6. Jul 18, 2019 #6

Just-Thinking-51

Just-Thinking-51

Just-Thinking-51

Conductor AU Lifetime Supporter AU Supporter

If Amtrak is serious about there new meals than the dinners will return to the Sliver Star, and the Cardinal. Otherwise it just cutting back on the LD fleet. Rolling out of the box meals to all the Eastern train is a selling point, just cutting service levels is not.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
    F900ElCapitan and dogbert617 like this.
  7. Jul 19, 2019 #7

jis

jis

jis

Conductor AU Lifetime Supporter Gathering Team Member

I doubt they will do complementary meals for Sleepers for Silver Star. What is cut is seldom restored.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
  8. Jul 19, 2019 #8
    If they did how would that effect the pricing since SS sleeper is cheaper than SM's?

9. Jul 21, 2019 #9

jis

jis

jis

Conductor AU Lifetime Supporter Gathering Team Member

They would probably bump up the fare buckets to the same ones as on Silver Meteor, but frankly I will be surprised if they go that way at all. I think they will leave the Star as it is.

pennyk likes this.