Why is the Southwest Chief, in both directions, running consistently late?

Discussion in 'Amtrak Rail Discussion' started by Mist, Jul 21, 2019.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

1. Jul 21, 2019 #1

Mist

M

Mist

I'm due to take the #3 in a few weeks out of Albuquerque. I see that a few days ago it was 11 hours late into LAX, with no explanation of what happened. #4 was about 5 hours late into Chicago a few days ago. Not once recently has either run on time. What a way to 'kill a train' with passengers vowing 'never again' and spreading that message to prospective riders thru reviews and negative recommendations. These huge delays can't all be weather related, so what is going on? Thanks

2. Jul 21, 2019 #2

Just-Thinking-51

Just-Thinking-51

Just-Thinking-51

Conductor AU Lifetime Supporter AU Supporter

Rivers are still flooding. Maintaining good tracks required good drainage. Once the water weaken the track base, you have to let it dry out before working on it. So tracks may have slow orders even after the water has uncovered the tracks.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
    dogbert617, NSC1109 and SarahZ like this.
  3. Jul 22, 2019 #3

chrsjrcj

c

chrsjrcj

OBS Chief

The train #3 that was 11 hours late started off late due to equipment issues in Chicago. Apparently it also had engine issues in New Mexico. Of course, once a train starts late and falls out of its slot, all bets are off the rest of the way and "a late train only gets later."

I too am booked on #3 next month, and also scheduled to do the transfer to #14 at LAX. I'm fully expecting to get bustituted up to Bakersfield, and take in the scenic Central Valley over the blighted California coastline. I have ridden #14 before, so won't be that disappointed. Unfortunately, spending a night in LA resulted in considerably higher prices on either train, so I decided to bite the bullet and risk missing the connection.

dogbert617 likes this.
  4. Jul 22, 2019 #4

Acela150

Acela150

Acela150

Conductor

There is always an explanation. ;)

5. Jul 22, 2019 #5

amtkstn

a

amtkstn

OBS Chief

Another reason is due to the extreme heat when the host RR lowers the max speed limit to avoid damages from sun kinks.

AmtrakBlue likes this.
  6. Jul 22, 2019 #6

Barb Stout

B

Barb Stout

Service Attendant

The positive side of running way late like that is that you get to see the beautiful scenery in AZ that an on-time train goes through in the dark of night.

dogbert617 and Bob Dylan like this.
  7. Jul 22, 2019 #7

Skyline

Skyline

Skyline

OBS Chief

Good point. When there is a choice, it's often better to view the "glass half full" -- especially if there's nothing you can do about it anyway.

dogbert617 and Bob Dylan like this.
  8. Jul 22, 2019 #8

me_little_me

m

me_little_me

Conductor

The train waits on the bus bridge as the conductor was never told that the stupid idea was cancelled.

F900ElCapitan and dogbert617 like this.
  9. Jul 24, 2019 #9

Mist

M

Mist

And yesterday it was about 8 hours late into LAX; and at this time, it's due into Flagstaff about 12 hours late - - who knows when it will arrive in LAX? This train REALLY has some serious problems and I feel for all the folks who have missed connections, vacation plans, weddings, birthdays, anniversaries. I doubt seeing extra scenery is going to make up for this kind of consistent, awful lateness. I've just canceled my reservation and will fly instead.

Devil's Advocate likes this.
  10. Jul 24, 2019 #10

Mist

M

Mist

Just about every long distance train on this status map https://www.amtrak.com/track-your-train.html is running a little to a lot late. Seems like it is a lot worse than it used to be. I see they no longer even post a % of late arrivals by route. For example, in the past, they might say 39% of #3 arrivals were on time over a six month period. If they did it now, it would probably be close to 0% on time for some trains like #3 and 4. I really liked taking the train, but I've missed way-too-many connections and events over the years.

Bob Dylan and Devil's Advocate like this.