Why doesn't the Vermonter terminate in Burlington?

Discussion in 'Amtrak Rail Discussion' started by velotrain, Aug 9, 2019.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

1. Aug 17, 2019 #51

PVD

P

PVD

Conductor AU Supporter

Take a look at the tab for fall schedule..I believe the Summer Schedule ends 9-3 and they have the short Fall schedule, no winter service on that route...

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
  2. Aug 17, 2019 #52

cocojacoby

c

cocojacoby

Service Attendant

Also keep in mind that the eventual goal is to get the Vermonter to terminate in Montreal. That's what we should be working on. Turning west to Burlington would make that rather difficult although I guess a looooong backup move is possible.

Just another thought. In the days of the Palmer shuffle, the Vermonter had an engine (or some type of cab car) on both ends. Then an Essex Junction to Burlington reverse move would have been easier. There is no reason for that now and it is running with only one engine.

3. Aug 17, 2019 #53

velotrain

velotrain

velotrain

Service Attendant

Well, I think most folks would consider the first half of September as still summer, and I'm unable to open the leaf icon.

4. Aug 17, 2019 #54

jis

jis

jis

Conductor AU Lifetime Supporter Gathering Team Member

This is why I think it makes more sense to leave the Vermonter as is, and actually extend the Ethan Allen so as to terminate and turn at St. Albans where there already is facility to turn a train, instead of screwing up the station area in Burlington. Maybe even have it connect with the Vermonter/Montrealer in St. Albans allowing folks from Western Vermont to travel to Montreal.

5. Aug 17, 2019 #55

velotrain

velotrain

velotrain

Service Attendant

You could also look at it as restoring "the station area in Burlington" to its original function.

6. Aug 17, 2019 #56

jis

jis

jis

Conductor AU Lifetime Supporter Gathering Team Member

Sure. But by terminating the EA there you do not increase network connectivity by creating just a dead end terminal when you have interesting potential network connectivity available 15 miles away. And in any case the station is still restored to its original function of serving as a passenger stop anyway.

7. Aug 17, 2019 #57

PVD

P

PVD

Conductor AU Supporter

I think they use Labor Day Weekend as their cutoff....It's not the leaf tab (although everyone would associate that with fall especially up there where leaf peeping is big business), you have to go to "route schedules by season" then it's the tab next to summer..sorry, I didn't make that clearer when I posted..

8. Aug 17, 2019 #58

oregon pioneer

oregon pioneer

oregon pioneer

Conductor

I grew up in Burlington, and the only thing that disappoints me going beck is that Urban Renewal when I was a teenager got rid of the "seedy" (and most interestingly diverse) part of town and replaced it with the current bland mix of hotels and tourist infrastructure overlooking the waterfront. The former working industrial waterfront is now all touristy and full of interesting old buildings that have been restored as restaurants and retail. There is a lot to do in Burlington -- be sure and check the entertainment guides when you are looking at dates. Friends who live nearby are always posting photos and videos of their nights out on the town.

Personally, I think the ferry is a wonderful experience in itself, not merely an inconvenient way to get to Burlington. If you are into walking, the University campus is an arboretum with trees from all over the world, and you pass many beautiful old homes and buildings on the way up the hill from downtown. Don't know where the poor people went, but I walked quite a lot last summer and did not pass any areas I would describe as "seedy" (though I passed through some neighborhoods that were definitely home to recent immigrants, and clearly showed their colorful diversity).

pennyk likes this.