Who in the world are you?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi everyone, I posted in the "intro" thread, but will share here as well. I was introduced to Amtrak in 1997, when my wife and I took the Builder out to Glacier as newly weds to work at Many Glacier. That trip has always stuck in our minds, and this August we are taking our daughter on her first overnight train trip back out to Glacier. My name is Jim; though I'm a native Wisconsinite, I spent 11 years in Orlando, FL working for Universal. I'm back in WI now. I enjoy reading all the comments and discussions and will chime in where I can; I discovered certain tablet browsers are not conducive for posting... Thanks for reading!

Hi Group, just found this site in the last couple of days. 49yo male who lives in Richmond, VA between RVR and RVM. I am originally from North Carolina but spent the last half of my childhood in South West Nebraska in a small town where I could hear the Burlington Northern go through town while I was falling asleep each night. My first career was as a baker but I went back to school and became an accountant.

I love trains but haven't ridden them a lot. I have ridden the Deutsche Bahn from Munich to Salzburg and back, Also once from Dresden to Königstein and back to visit the Fortress. I have traveled from Richmond to New York and I believe once to Baltimore. My most recent trips have been to take the Grandkids home either one or two stops down the line from RVM to Williamsburg or Newport News. I also have done a few train excursions the most recent being last month on the Buckingham Branch Line out of Dillwyn, VA. My next trip is in three weeks on the California Zephyr. I'm flying into Omaha with my granddaughter and we are taking CZ to McCook and back. It will be my first time with a roomette. We are also going mid week out to DEN from MCK on the CZ in coach. I've been watching all of the detours and delays with less than enthusiasm the last couple weeks. I am hoping to take the Pikes Peak Cog Train while we are in Colorado which I have done a couple times before. I guess it is really a lot of rail travel this trip in spite of flying to Omaha and back.

A few people have talked about their political leanings in this post. Mostly I think passenger rail has had an unfair shake given all of the money spent on other forms of transportation in this country. I like to take flights for long distances and drive on nice roads but unfortunately we have shorted rail in favor of these other conveniences and it hasn't always been the best investment. I don't think we can continue to pave our way to better commutes and travel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to AU! Traveling with your granddaughter on trains is a wonderful way to roll, take it from one who knows! Please share your trip with us in a trip report!

The Zephyr route through Nebraska is usually in the dark, but with the recent delays for various reasons, lots of folks are getting to see the less than eye catching scenery in Daylight!

I lived in MCCook,NE for 6 months as a baby where my dad was stationed in WWII, and also was on a Zephyr that hit a hurd of cows on the tracks, so got to see the route between MCCook and Omaha in Daylight!

I also lived in Colorado Springs for a year, much nicer scenery! It's a small world!

That's Cool. Small World Indeed. Thanks for the Welcome! My Dad was good friends with a man who owned a business out at the McCook airport that was the General Services, Charter as well as fixed up planes. He used to take Dad up and sometimes they would land out at the old Army Field north of McCook until the farmers tore up so much of the old runway they couldn't land anymore. I have been out there by car and there are still several Hanger buildings still standing along a straight line that used to be parallel to the last usable runway. Most of the old barracks and other buildings are gone but there are foundations remaining and one or two historic signs. You can still pick out the runway on google satellite if you know what to look for. It is about 3 1/2 miles north west of McCook and about a mile south of Hugh Butler Lake. The McCook Army Airbase was a training ground for long range bombers I think and the three runways were built in a triangle.

After the war the city government of McCook didn't want to use the Army Airbase for an airport because at 3 1/2 miles north of town it was considered to far in the country. (I'm serious). Instead they built a new airport after the war out on the north east edge of town. The old Army Air Base was an important part of the history of McCook and it is often written about in the local paper and they have plenty of info at the town museum.

Today McCook has flights to Denver supplemented by the Essential Air Service grants but Great Lakes Airlines quit flying into town for several months due to a new law that required more flying hours to qualify as a pilot. Great Lakes didn't have enough qualified pilots. They are still down to 1 flight a day each way Monday - Friday. If they were flying 7 days a week and twice a day on weekdays I think they are suppose to be paid $2 million a year but I'm not sure what they are getting on this reduced schedule.

I've been concerned about the delays on the CZ because anything more than a 3 1/2 hour delay getting back into Omaha would make me miss my flight back east. I have a back up plan to catch the bus out of North Platte if it gets real late before it gets out of Denver but it isn't a backup plan I like. I would have to get a ride 70 miles north to catch the bus and then bus vs rail travel as far as comfort? no comparison. I'm a little over 300lbs so the extra room on Amtrak vs Trailways makes a difference.

Thanks for the info on McCook! My dad was a B-29 Crewman, they practiced in Nebraska and the Midwest before heading for the Pacific. His Squadron was the one that dropped the Atomic Bombs on Japan, so everything was Top Secret!

Hope you make your connections, it's a Long, unfun Bus ride across Nebraska!

Thanks Jim and that's cool info about your Dad.

I forgot at least one train trip I've taken and that was Fairbanks, AK to Whittier, AK on one of the cruise line trains on the Alaskan Railway.

Since others have introduced themselves, I suppose it is my turn. I am a native of Summerville, SC who grew up in Virginia. My mom hails from Richmond, VA and my dad was originally from Society Hill, SC. I was the youngest of 3 sons. Both my brothers and my parents are deceased. I am 60 and never married, looking at retirement in a few years from Berkeley County. Summerville is 22 miles west of Charleston and the house I grew up in sits near the same line that saw the Best Friend operate on. The first train ride was on the Havana Special from Charleston to Richmond. This would be a familiar route that I would travel. I wish I had a nickel for every time I passed through Broad Street Station! I also rode Southern Railway's Carolina Special. The locals called it the Carolina Creeper. Since others have weighed in on their political views, I am a pragmatic conservative with deeply held Christian values undergirding it. My first Amtrak ride was the Champion from Charleston to visit my older brother who was stationed at McCoy AFB in Orlando Other Amtrak outings have been to Williamsburg, VA, Empire Builder Chicago to Milwaukee, and the Hiawatha service between those two points, as well as the usual route from CHS to RVR. I also belong to the NRHS, as well as a model railroader in HO. Excursion trips by rail started for me in 1965 when I rode one of the RF&P trips to and from Washington DC. Since then it has been SOU/NS steam excursions, the finest was in 1987 with 611 running side by side with 1218 in a recreation of the Howard Fogg painting. Since enduring a long plane ride to and from Israel, I have not felt much of a desire to travel.

Welcome to AU! My dad was from Pickens,SC and I rode the Southern trains to/from the Carolinas many times as a kid, especially the Crescent and the unamed locals when steam still ruled the rails.

I fully understand not enjoying the long plane ride across the pond, that's what makes train rides such a pleasure, no matter how long they are,( and most of us don't care how long they are) since the journey is the thing!

Great to have another SC AUer aboard. Historic Summerville and the Flower market are interesting.

Thanks for the info on McCook! My dad was a B-29 Crewman, they practiced in Nebraska and the Midwest before heading for the Pacific. His Squadron was the one that dropped the Atomic Bombs on Japan, so everything was Top Secret!

Hope you make your connections, it's a Long, unfun Bus ride across Nebraska!
Jim - I made it home and had a great trip on the CZ all four times. One of the hangers at the B-29 Base burned down while I was there and the remaining ones are in really bad shape. The one that burned down had hay in it and the hay got to hot and caught fire evidently.

http://www.mccookgazette.com/story/2214332.html

I guess I better join in. I'm Will. I'm 29 and took my first Amtrak trip this Spring and had the time of my life.

I have a Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration with an emphasis in human resources. I am also an Eagle Scout. I currently build aircraft at Cessna and enjoy it.

Anyway, I have posted questions on here in the past and have greatly appreciated the responses.

Welcome to AU! Its always good to havw new members! I was a Scout but only made it to First Class!

I learned to fly in 150s and 172s back in the early 70s, still the best airplanes ever, especially the Skyhawk!!( I have a Single/Multi Engine Land Commercial Ticket with Instrument Rating, but don't fly anymore due to my eye sight and the cost!)

Are you based in Witchita? Maybe someday the Chief will come thru there instead of the tank towns out in Western Kansas!

Jim,

I am actually based in Independence, KS which is located about 120 southeast of Wichita. Cessna built the plant there about 20 years ago when they resumed production of the 172, 182, and 206. Now in addition to those three planes, there the TTx which is a twin-turbo end single engine composite airplane the Citation Mustang and Citation M2. The latter two are both twin engine jets. The 172 is still the most popular plane built is much different than the early ones. The engines, interiors are modernized of course, but the avionics package on those is amazing with twin LCD screens and user friendly interfaces. I work on the Citation M2.

I think Wichita needs Amtrak service of some type. There was some talk a few years ago about extending the Heartland Flyer up north to Wichita and possibly Kansas City. I think that would have made a little more sense. I know Amtrak is kind of in a bind with the current route, but I think it would cost much more to build infrastructure along the new route.

Hello everybody,

I've been looking at this site for a week or so now, was really fascinated by the knowledge and the discussion, and decided I'd join up. I'm a Midwesterner who transplanted out to the West Coast a few years ago, and am prepping for a trip around the country on Amtrak (Sunset Limited, Crescent, Lakeshore Limited, Empire Builder, and then the Coast Starlight back to Los Angeles).

I probably won't post too much as it looks like any question I could ask has already been answered in detail, but I thought I'd contribute to a great forum!

Amazing trip Cverner! Nice to meet you. When you are eon the LSL let me know, maybe I'll come down to the station in Toledo. They stop there for 15 minutes so we could chat!

I don't think I ever introduced myself here, but it's never too late. I'm a 23 year old transit fan, who has grown up around buses and trains for many years. Eventually I'll end up posting pictures I have of Amtrak very soon.

My first ride on Amtrak was in the Summer of 2000, where I rode the Auto Train from Sanford to Lorton, then me and my friends went to New Jersey. My dad picked me up and I stayed in New York City. That was 15 years ago and all I can say is wow, time flies.

I saw a lot of buses in New York City back then. I currently don't fan buses yet (not since a few months ago), but soon I'm going to take a crack at it again come next week or so. Might even stop by and see Amtrak and Sunrail action, maybe the occasional stray freight will pass by.

Hi..Joined years ago, but never did this post..I am a Chicago native..First LD train ride was on the Denver zepher..then the beautiful Santa Fe super chief..been on the Lake Shore Limited..City of New Orleans..Southwest Chief..Texas Eagle..but my love is the Empire Builder..first trip on the Builder was to Seattle..then I found Glacier Park..this will be my 8th trip in September..I live in Wisconsin now and drive 30 miles to Tomah to get on the EB..Will not fly..love the trains..have had wonderful trips..and horrible ones..been in coach and every type of sleeper..Have had awesome attendants and ones that kinda vanished during the trip..Will try and post more..love this site..Thanks to all for a wealth of information..and really entertains stories

Belated welcome! We look forward to sharing your experiences and knowledge gained during your adventures!

Hopefully the HI+ Line and the Beautiful NW will get some relief and things can get back to normal!

The Empire Builder, in spite of all it's tough luck and problems the past few years,( it used to be Amtrak's Crack Train!) is still a train trip that should be on everyone's Bucket list!

Thanks..Jim..It never ceases to amaze me..how in the world did they build those tracks through the mountains..The scenery is just breathtaking on the Builder...although one daughter said the ride through the sierras comes close!

I probably won't post too much as it looks like any question I could ask has already been answered in detail, but I thought I'd contribute to a great forum!
Keep in mind that while some things stay the same virtually forever (rolling stock, connecting stops, line morale) other things change regularly (food quality, service standards, loyalty program), so don't hesitate to ask old questions as you might receive a new answer.

It never ceases to amaze me..how in the world did they build those tracks through the mountains.
Indentured labor from Asia.

Back