Where to stay near LA Union Station?

Discussion in 'Guest Forum for Amtrak Questions' started by Becky, Sep 10, 2019.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

1. Sep 10, 2019 #1

Becky

B

Becky

DH and I just booked a round trip LAX-OKJ because CS is diverting through the Tehachapi loop this weekend. We need to stay the night in LA since there are no trains homeward after 9:00pm. Any suggestions for something safe and close to Union Station?

2. Sep 10, 2019 #2

Willbridge

Willbridge

Willbridge

Service Attendant

It's hard to guarantee safety, but I've been happy with two different places in Japantown:

Kawada Hotel
    200 South Hill Street
    Los Angeles, CA 90012
    (213) 621-4455

Miyako Hotel
    328 East 1st Street
    Los Angeles, CA 90012
    (213) 617-2000

In neither case were taxi drivers happy with the short trip. With less luggage I might have walked.

3. Sep 10, 2019 #3

trainman74

trainman74

trainman74

Conductor

For the benefit of the original poster (and anyone else who might be looking for hotels near L.A. Union Station): that particular neighborhood is actually called "Little Tokyo."

The closest hotel to Union Station is the Metro Plaza Hotel, which a number of people on this forum have stayed at.

As far as I can tell, the two closest "name brand" hotels to Union Station are the Best Western Plus Dragon Gate Inn (in Chinatown), and the Doubletree Los Angeles Downtown, which is near both of the hotels mentioned by Willbridge.

Blaquafina likes this.
  4. Sep 10, 2019 #4

pennyk

pennyk

pennyk

Conductor Staff Member Administator Moderator Gathering Team Member

I have stayed at the Doubletree Los Angeles and felt very safe. Because I arrived at night, I did not walk to the hotel when I arrived. I seem to recall the hotel had a shuttle that picked us up. In the daylight, I walked from the hotel to Union Station several times, including once with luggage.

JRR likes this.
  5. Sep 11, 2019 #5

Becky

B

Becky

Thanks so much, everybody! I chose the Metro Plaza hotel, nice to know others have stayed there. I may try one of the others on another trip.

By the way, I tried to join the forum, but got an error message (twice) saying I seemed like a robot. I'll try again...

6. Sep 13, 2019 #6

me_little_me

m

me_little_me

Conductor

We used the Metro Plaza and although it's not particularly nice nor modernized, it was clean and safe and easily walkable.

Eric S and Bob Dylan like this.
  7. Sep 19, 2019 #7

JRR

J

JRR

OBS Chief

We stayed there too. Liked the hotel and was very walkable in the daytime. Taxi at night.

Liked the “Little Tokyo” area also.

8. Sep 21, 2019 #8

davidsdesire

d

davidsdesire

we absolutely LOVE the Millenium Biltmore...just a short uber from Union Sation.

9. Sep 21, 2019 #9

F900ElCapitan

F

F900ElCapitan

Service Attendant AU Supporter

I’ll be staying at the Westin Bonaventure next week, I’ll let you know how that goes.

10. Sep 21, 2019 #10

zephyr17

z

zephyr17

Conductor

Easy, quick and cheap to get from the Biltmore to Union Station using the Red/Purple Line subway from the Pershing Square Station.

davidsdesire likes this.
  11. Sep 21, 2019 #11

trainman74

trainman74

trainman74

Conductor

Ever seen the movie "True Lies"? There's a major action scene that was filmed on the Bonaventure's elevators.

F900ElCapitan likes this.
  12. Sep 22, 2019 #12

JRR

J

JRR

OBS Chief

Great movie. I was involved in the approval process for the environmental bond which was needed to cover any potential environmental damage caused by the filming in the keys.

F900ElCapitan likes this.
  13. Sep 22, 2019 #13

Maglev

Maglev

Maglev

OBS Chief

I stayed at the Westin Bonaventure on my last trip to LA, and will stay there again on an upcoming visit. The room was fine, the view was spectacular, and the restaurant was acceptable (at least for breakfast). Here's a photo from my room and a view from the elevator.

IMG_7515.jpg IMG_7524.jpg

F900ElCapitan and Bob Dylan like this.