Where does Amtrak Stand on Long Distance Rail?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry H.

Conductor
I follow the newsletter regularly. In it again he is referring to the fact that many think Amtrak is letting long distance trains die a slow death on purpose. Is there actually any real evidence that Western routes are going to get new consist and that lines really are going to be added to connect more passengers to the current system. Or is this all just speculation? I found Boardmans comments putting new routes at the feet of the states for money to be somewhat disturbing. If we are running a National Rail Passenger System it should not be begging states to operate. I for one would like to see the kind of proactive stand that laying out a new set of coordinated rail cars would project that Amtrak is really intent to grow and prosper, not shrink and retreat which many of todays trains seem to indicate.

I think I have seen here that the possible addition of more cars to the Empire builder is maybe in the works. That would be a positive step. I wish someone was able to determine the lost revenue and turned down passengers that running these long distance trains with skeletons of sleepers and coaches is costing the system?

I follow the newsletter regularly. In it again he is referring to the fact that many think Amtrak is letting long distance trains die a slow death on purpose. Is there actually any real evidence that Western routes are going to get new consist and that lines really are going to be added to connect more passengers to the current system. Or is this all just speculation? I found Boardmans comments putting new routes at the feet of the states for money to be somewhat disturbing. If we are running a National Rail Passenger System it should not be begging states to operate. I for one would like to see the kind of proactive stand that laying out a new set of coordinated rail cars would project that Amtrak is really intent to grow and prosper, not shrink and retreat which many of todays trains seem to indicate.
I think I have seen here that the possible addition of more cars to the Empire builder is maybe in the works. That would be a positive step. I wish someone was able to determine the lost revenue and turned down passengers that running these long distance trains with skeletons of sleepers and coaches is costing the system?
What we do know for sure is that Amtrak's only been seriously considering two car purchases, and the first one consists of sleepers, baggage cars, baggage dorms, and diners. That suggests a positive LD focus.

I would agree with GML and take it a step further. Not only is the ordering of new single level cars for LD trains a positive step, they are planning to buy baggage/dorm cars. While there are many routes that could use a baggage car, including on the NEC where service is severely lacking, most of those routes don't require a dorm. Ordering dorm cars can only be seen as a positive note for all LD's, both single and bi-level.

I'd also add that many of the the corridors being discussed would feed into the long distance trains. Look at the routes that are being discussed about extending the Heartland Flyer to Wichita KS, Newton, and Kansas City; developing service to Tulsa OK, and a current push to investigate reestablishing the Pioneer run through Idaho and (hopefully!) southern Wyoming. These are all positives that will help long distance train service. I seriously doubt that Amtrak could abandon long distance trains, if there is any hope of maintaining the funding for the system as a whole. Particularly if significant funding goes into high speed rail, and California snags much of it (deservedly), other regions will be pushing for something to show the home town voters. LD rail services are that first something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back