What would you add?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That could make sense, although they've only ordered 10 so I could see them being limited to the Cardinal and LSL. Especially if they manage to ever take the Cardinal daily. 
The LSL is three consists, and the Cardinal is only two (four if it’s made daily), so that would still leave three as protects, which I think is plenty. Of course we now know that the Boston section of the LSL is losing checked baggage, but if it kept it, I think replacing the full baggage car with a bag-dorm would make a lot of sense, considering the sole Boston sleeper often sells out and such a short section really doesn’t need an entire baggage car.

Siegmund said:
I've been intrigued by the idea of some reauthorization act requiring the national network to serve all 48 states, or perhaps even to increase service to all 48 states. (Though I confess I'm not sure what the best way to include South Dakota is.)
I see many others here are onboard with the general theme of aiming for twice-daily service between as many city pairs as possible. Once upon a time I sketched out a list for the whole country to do that... about three computers ago now.
South Dakota is doable. You can run a North/South train to Sioux Falls from KC (or even Dallas as a "supersized" heartland flyer) via Omaha. Not saying it's the best solution, but it technically would meet the requirement of service.

Wouldn’t simply restoring the Pioneer in its last incarnation before it was discontinued, take care of Wyoming?
It would...as would the CZ being (bite my tongue), rerouted, if the UP decided to downgrade or abandon the former RG route...like the BNSF Raton route....

If UP chooses to downgrade the Moffatt Line, the usual question about who is going to pay for its maintenance etc. will come up, and it is hard to tell how the chips will fall, given the existence of the faster diversion route.

It is possible that Colorado might choose to preserve service upto Glenwood Spring, and it will remain a question as to what happens between there and Provo.

Does anyone have any knowledge of approximate number of daily thru freight trains currently using the RG route?    That would give some indication of whether it is still a relevant route for the UP...

Does anyone have any knowledge of approximate number of daily thru freight trains currently using the RG route?    That would give some indication of whether it is still a relevant route for the UP...
Well there are the coal trains from Bond and the few from Grand Junction. But as for actual thru freight, in the recent past, I’ve seen a road frieght or two that often times would do some switching along the way and then the pretty much daily BNSF trackage rights train.

I remember back in the end of the Tennessee Pass days of rumors of BNSF buying that line. I wonder if they’d still be interested in this if they could have the coal traffic too. 

It is possible that Colorado might choose to preserve service upto Glenwood Spring, and it will remain a question as to what happens between there and Provo.
CDoT already runs bus service from Grand Junction/Glenwood Springs to Denver via I-70, which is much faster than the Moffat route and probably has considerably higher on-line traffic potential thanks to the ski areas.  It doesn't seem like it would be a very good idea to take on paying for an expensive piece of mountain railroad when one crossing of the Rockies would do just as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well there are the coal trains from Bond and the few from Grand Junction. But as for actual thru freight, in the recent past, I’ve seen a road frieght or two that often times would do some switching along the way and then the pretty much daily BNSF trackage rights train.

I remember back in the end of the Tennessee Pass days of rumors of BNSF buying that line. I wonder if they’d still be interested in this if they could have the coal traffic too. 
Tell me a little about that BNSF train....is it actually operated by a BNSF crew, or a UP crew?

Now that brings up an interesting scenario, if UP decided to abandon that route, and leave it to BNSF....

Would BNSF actually take it over.....or....would they demand trackage right's on the UP mainline from Cheyenne to Salt Lake City in lieu of it? :unsure:

CDoT already runs bus service from Grand Junction/Glenwood Springs to Denver via I-70, which is much faster than the Moffat route and probably has considerably higher on-line traffic potential thanks to the ski areas.  It doesn't seem like it would be a very good idea to take on paying for an expensive piece of mountain railroad when one crossing of the Rockies would do just as well.
Would the trip between Glenwood and Denver be quicker with just a Charger and four single level cars? Might make it a compelling case time wise.

And I know the business case for this would stink, but it would be nice to have a bilevel type(those scenic type cars that are taller than Superliners)  of train the cruise ship companies use up in Alaska between Glenwood and Denver (highest amount of traffic)

When the San Francisco Zephyr ran the route, it was quicker getting to Salt Lake (or was it Provo) and vice versa.
A lot faster...like comparing a country road to a super highway...or a single track mountain railroad to a sometimes triple-track 90 mph railroad...

The SFZ went from Denver to Ogden, and for a time, thru service to Salt Lake City carrying Desert Wind cars....

Would the trip between Glenwood and Denver be quicker with just a Charger and four single level cars? Might make it a compelling case time wise.
The bus has a 2.5 hour advantage between GSC and DEN.  There is no way to make the two modes time competitive short of a clean-sheet rail crossing of the Rockies.

The bus has a 2.5 hour advantage between GSC and DEN.  There is no way to make the two modes time competitive short of a clean-sheet rail crossing of the Rockies.
For Denver area resident's, the traditional weekend getaway to Glenwood Springs on the Zephyr has nothing at all to do with speed, but rather the leisurely ride thru the spectacular scenery.

There's no viable reason for building a high speed crossing of the Rockies by rail, at least in this century...

Now that brings up an interesting scenario, if UP decided to abandon that route, and leave it to BNSF....
Would BNSF actually take it over.....or....would they demand trackage right's on the UP mainline from Cheyenne to Salt Lake City in lieu of it?
default_unsure.png
My guess is the UP would probably offer trackage rights since they'd be responsible for maintenance still. More likely is a downgrade to the minimum BNSF needs, which won't be workable for Amtrak.

I'll emphasize that coal traffic is going away; it's not going to be part of the future financial case for maintaining any line whatsoever.  Just for your consideration.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll emphasize that coal traffic is going away; it's not going to be part of the future financial case for maintaining any line whatsoever.  Just for your consideration.
Yeah. The Moffatt Line will be maintained at the minimal grade necessary for serving a few Coal Mines until they last. After that the business case becomes highly questionable. So it is either State sponsored or nothing. Just my partly informed speculation.

Back