What will happen if you get left behind at a smoke stop?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
On the other hand, the train won't leave early. So when the train is early (yes, big joke, but it does happen) I will use it as an opportunity to wander around the area. I rarely buy anything, certainly nothing that requires preparation, and I mark the halfway point of the break so I can walk or sprint back to the train as appropriate. The conductor and attendants will make announcements as to what time to return and they are usually accurate. Even a 30 minute break can be enough time to go to a convenience store a quarter mile away and buy food and drinks that are cheaper than the lounge car price.
<counting down to obligatory warning that trains can leave early at stops marked with an "L" or "D" on the timetable>

But yes, your point is generally correct. Mid-point stops on most LD routes frequently offer a break of a guaranteed duration. Just

make sure your watch is set to the proper time!

<counting down to obligatory warning that trains can leave early at stops marked with an "L" or "D" on the timetable>
But yes, your point is generally correct. Mid-point stops on most LD routes frequently offer a break of a guaranteed duration. Just

On my last trip on northbound Starlight we arrived PDX about 45 minutes early, and it already has a 45 minute stop in PDX, effectively giving us an hour and half to go out, walk around the city and over the Steel Bridge, try out the light rail, grab some snacks and return in time for the train. I was not too worried about the train going away because in worst case there would still be a Cascades departure to take me to Seattle.

On my last trip on northbound Starlight we arrived PDX about 45 minutes early, and it already has a 45 minute stop in PDX, effectively giving us an hour and half to go out, walk around the city and over the Steel Bridge, try out the light rail, grab some snacks and return in time for the train. I was not too worried about the train going away because in worst case there would still be a Cascades departure to take me to Seattle.
What about one's stuff? I think I would be uncomfortable leaving them in an unlocked sleeper if stepping out of the station for a long excursion, let alone have them go ahead without me.

The "train people" here know this, but I thought I would add it, the train double blows its horn before leaving. If you hear that horn, and you're not back on the train, RUN ! ! ! Since that horn should be audible from any reasonable place you could have wandered, you really have no excuse.

The "train people" here know this, but I thought I would add it, the train double blows its horn before leaving. If you hear that horn, and you're not back on the train, RUN ! ! ! Since that horn should be audible from any reasonable place you could have wandered, you really have no excuse.
That may be too late if you are anywhere but right on the platform. Often the engineers blows the horn after the conductor has given the engineer the "Highball, <station name>!" call over the radio, and the engineer sounds the horn in response to that. The train sometimes starts moving right after the horn.

That may be too late if you are anywhere but right on the platform. Often the engineers blows the horn after the conductor has given the engineer the "Highball, <station name>!" call over the radio, and the engineer sounds the horn in response to that. The train sometimes starts moving right after the horn.
Really? Every train I have been on when the train is ready to leave, the horn sounds and then the car attendant says all aboard. We all pile back in. I get out to get fresh air on as many stops as possible and this is how it has worked on all of my trips. I am not an expert, but I have traveled every western LD except the SWC at least twice in the past year.

Really? Every train I have been on when the train is ready to leave, the horn sounds and then the car attendant says all aboard. We all pile back in. I get out to get fresh air on as many stops as possible and this is how it has worked on all of my trips. I am not an expert, but I have traveled every western LD except the SWC at least twice in the past year.
I didn't mean to say it happened all the time, it probably happens the way you describe more frequently, but I have seen them do it the other way, with the conductor calling "All Aboard" waiting a few seconds, then radioing the engineer, then the horn and start moving, too. I wanted to emphasize that the time between the horn and the train getting underway can sometimes be very short, too short to get on if you are anywhere but trainside.
I almost always am listening to the scanner at station stops because there can be a lot of chatter between the head end, the conductor and AC, and the agent/baggage handler at the long stops.

Last edited by a moderator:
What about one's stuff? I think I would be uncomfortable leaving them in an unlocked sleeper if stepping out of the station for a long excursion, let alone have them go ahead without me.
If you're that paranoid about someone stealing your luggage, you are better off sitting in the confines of your seat or room for the entire trip, do not go to the Sightseer Lounge or Dining Car either, because someone might steal your bags in that period. I am not that paranoid, so I take the opportunity to go out and explore a new city when time permits.

Awhile back I was watching the La Plata, MO railcam and the Eastbound SWC left one of the Conductors behind. The train got as far as the lookout shelter and stopped. Watched as the Conductor hoofed it to the train.

Awhile back I was watching the La Plata, MO railcam and the Eastbound SWC left one of the Conductors behind. The train got as far as the lookout shelter and stopped. Watched as the Conductor hoofed it to the train.
:giggle: :giggle: :giggle:

On my recent trip on the TE, I actually saw this happen. . .in reverse. I was on my return trip from STL to CHI sitting in the lounge car. I clearly heard the announcement for the station stop at Bloomington-Normal. The trains stops and and the routine of departures and pickups occurs. . .next thing I know, I hear one of the conductor say to a passenger at the next table, "Where are you getting off? No you're not, we just passed that station?"

I didn't mean to say it happened all the time, it probably happens the way you describe more frequently, but I have seen them do it the other way, with the conductor calling "All Aboard" waiting a few seconds, then radioing the engineer, then the horn and start moving, too. I wanted to emphasize that the time between the horn and the train getting underway can sometimes be very short, too short to get on if you are anywhere but trainside.
I almost always am listening to the scanner at station stops because there can be a lot of chatter between the head end, the conductor and AC, and the agent/baggage handler at the long stops.
The age-old system of communication from the engineer to the conductor (or anyone else within earshot) is the train horn (or whistle in steam days). The two "long" pulls of the locomotive's horns translates to "I am releasing brakes and proceeding". This will only happen after the Conductor has called "All aboard" and signals the engineer to "highball (location)". And it could be a very short time, depending on how quickly the engineer can move brake lever, throttle, etc.

Last year, when the Zephyr was running EARLY (a rare occurrence) and we had 45 minutes to kill in Denver I joked that it would be funny to fly to Omaha and rejoin the train there. Although it would have cost an arm and a leg to get there, the last flight out of Denver left at 9 pm or so and you could do it.
Couple years ago I got off #6 in GSC to catch a connecting Greyhound bus to Vail. Another passenger going to Chicago got off in GSC to use the in-station restroom and stretch the legs. Didn't hear the re-boarding call and was stranded. I explained to this person that my bus would continue past Vail to Denver where it would definitely catch up to the train. So, this person bought a ticket from Greyhound in GSC to Denver, and (I presume) did catch up to the train. A rather expensive lesson ($50 or so?) about not wandering off when the conductor clearing announces over the P.A. to all passengers before arrival into GSC to not wander off while the train is in the station. Similar announcement is made by other conductors on the CZ at all of the other daytime smoke stops. No announcments over the P.A. during the night-time.

If you're that paranoid about someone stealing your luggage, you are better off sitting in the confines of your seat or room for the entire trip, do not go to the Sightseer Lounge or Dining Car either, because someone might steal your bags in that period. I am not that paranoid, so I take the opportunity to go out and explore a new city when time permits.
I don't think that's fair. There's a world of difference between heading off to the lounge or diner while a train is enroute. It's still a closed environment. But when the

train is sitting at a station for 60 minutes with its doors open, anyone can enter the train and leave and no one's the wiser until it's too late. At a station with controlled

access to the platform, that's not as much of an issue. But there are plenty of stations with extended stops where the platform is wide open to anyone.

I'm not saying you SHOULD be afraid to leave. I'm just saying it's a rational concern. That said, I think the usual advice applies: Keep your valuables

with you at all times.

On a smoke stop in SLC, I stepped out for air and a passenger started small talk and said he had never seen Temple Square. He then asked if I wanted to "Hoof It" over to see the Tabernacle and Square. I said no, I was not a Morman and did not wish to "Hoof It" anywhere at 2 AM in the morning. I wished him well and a safe journey.

The train left 5 minutes later and I never saw the Mr. Hoofer again.

On a smoke stop in SLC, I stepped out for air and a passenger started small talk and said he had never seen Temple Square. He then asked if I wanted to "Hoof It" over to see the Tabernacle and Square. I said no, I was not a Mormon and did not wish to "Hoof It" anywhere at 2 AM in the morning. I wished him well and a safe journey.
Perhaps his watch was still on Pacific Time.

The other day on the westbound Lake Shore Limited we pulled into Albany early and the Boston section was already there ready to go. As we arrived the Conductor took time to explain what was inside the station amenity-wise and invited folks to take time to go inside and reboard at our leisure as we would be there for 45 minutes.

I have also experienced the same at Tucson, Alpine, Dallas and Ft. Worth when the train has arrived early. One time the Eagle arrived Dallas with a good hour to kill and the Conductor explained how to get over to Dealey Plaza but with warnings not to get caught up in the West End as the train would be leaving in an hour sharp.

On the other hand, the train won't leave early. So when the train is early (yes, big joke, but it does happen) I will use it as an opportunity to wander around the area. I rarely buy anything, certainly nothing that requires preparation, and I mark the halfway point of the break so I can walk or sprint back to the train as appropriate. The conductor and attendants will make announcements as to what time to return and they are usually accurate. Even a 30 minute break can be enough time to go to a convenience store a quarter mile away and buy food and drinks that are cheaper than the lounge car price.

They can leave a much a five minutes early. I have seen LD trains leave early on two occasions, so the warning is justified.

About 10 years ago were on the CS departing LAUS. It stopped in Glendale and while listening to the scanner, I heard the conductor ask who they were waiting for, someone answered back that that didn't know, whereupon the conductor said -- lets get out of here. A few minutes later we found out there were actually supposed to wait for the LSA, they had left him in the station with the only dining car menu. We sat in Simi Valley station for 45 minutes waiting for the LSA to catch up and board. The meal service for the trip to Portland we were shown the menu at the entrance to the dining car and asked to make our selections then. They only had one menu and no way to copy it.

The age-old system of communication from the engineer to the conductor (or anyone else within earshot) is the train horn (or whistle in steam days). The two "long" pulls of the locomotive's horns translates to "I am releasing brakes and proceeding". This will only happen after the Conductor has called "All aboard" and signals the engineer to "highball (location)". And it could be a very short time, depending on how quickly the engineer can move brake lever, throttle, etc.
This is exactly what I have seen and heard hundreds of times. The only exceptions were double spotting the train or the conductor stops the train as in a late passenger.

On a smoke stop in SLC, I stepped out for air and a passenger started small talk and said he had never seen Temple Square. He then asked if I wanted to "Hoof It" over to see the Tabernacle and Square. I said no, I was not a Morman and did not wish to "Hoof It" anywhere at 2 AM in the morning. I wished him well and a safe journey.
You would have to be a fast runner to make it to Temple Square and back from the Amtrak Station in SLC in time to catch the train. Even if the train were early.

Lots of nice stories here of people almost or actually getting left behind, but in this video you get to watch a person nearly get left behind from their own perspective.

Thanks Agent, that was terrific. I half-expected the train to be gone when he turned around. Glad he made it.

He should have never walked behind the cz. And he should not have been that close to the freight train. And nice job videotaping the Amtrak employee after he put the guys job at risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back