What to see near New York Penn station 4.5 hour layover

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

love2travel

Train Attendant
I am going from Orlando to New York on the Silver Meteor. I'm so excited! I have a 4.5 hour layover. I will be with my 12 yr old daughter. What do you recommend I do or see in that time. Will be there in August. I was only in New York briefly 12 years ago. I have no clue and don't know my way around.Also, I will be in a roomette. Is there a lounge to wait in?

Thank you,

Sue

Since you will pretty much be in downtown Manhatten, there is plenty to do or see. Times Square is a fairly easy walk from the station. Central Park is a pretty long walk, and you wouldn't have much time there, but if you took a cab or the subway, you should have time. Plenty of shopping on Fifth Avenue, too...................

Since you are traveling in a roomette, you will have access to the Club Acela to wait, too.

Hope you have a great trip. I bet your daughter will love it.

I am going from Orlando to New York on the Silver Meteor. I'm so excited! I have a 4.5 hour layover. I will be with my 12 yr old daughter. What do you recommend I do or see in that time. Will be there in August. I was only in New York briefly 12 years ago. I have no clue and don't know my way around.Also, I will be in a roomette. Is there a lounge to wait in?

Thank you,

Sue
Wow, the possibilities really are endless, and 4.5 hours is a long time, assuming you're on time. Right there in the midtown area you could go up in the Empire State Building, walk to Times Square, Rockefeller Center, shop at the world famous Macy's on 34th street. Since you have a 12yo, it's a very short cab ride uptown to Central Park South where you will find the Central Park Zoo and across 5th Avenue, your daughter will love FAO Schwartz. If you're feeling adventurous, 4.5 hours is plenty enough time to hop in a cab, go DOWNtown to the ferry terminal and hop on the (Free) Staten Island Ferry for your free harbor cruise and the best vantage point for the Statue of Liberty without actually going there.

If this is your first time in NYC in 12 years and your daughter's first time there at all, don't waste those 4 hours in a station lounge - if nothing else get out and walk the city.

Walk over to Grand Central Station and have a meal. You can either take the subway or walk the mile.

Go to Times Square. You HAVE to say you've been there with her. Depending on her interests, 5th Ave with Macy's and the other stores would be great fun. Stop at a street vendor and have a hot dog. Just walk and take in the city between Penn Station, Times Square and the stores on 5th Avenue. Experience NY by just walking it. She will have more to tell her friends by what you see in and those places than any zoo, park or even GCT

Save Central Park and Grand Central for when you have more time. Least of all, do NOT just stay in Penn Station.

Thank you for all the suggestions. Now I'm thrilled to have a layover. I didn't know if that was enough time to get around and see things. I would love to go up in the Empire State Building and Times Square. My daughter would love FAO Schwarts. There is a FREE Staten Island Ferry? No way! How cool. How far of a cab ride would that be about? I think we come in around 11am. How long would it take to get to the ferry and take the free ride? I guess I won't be in the Acela lounge long! LOL

Sue

love2travel said:
1334544835[/url]' post='361217']Thank you for all the suggestions. Now I'm thrilled to have a layover. I didn't know if that was enough time to get around and see things. I would love to go up in the Empire State Building and Times Square. My daughter would love FAO Schwarts. There is a FREE Staten Island Ferry? No way! How cool. How far of a cab ride would that be about? I think we come in around 11am. How long would it take to get to the ferry and take the free ride? I guess I won't be in the Acela lounge long! LOL

Sue
The ferry is an hour, round trip. The cab ride in the middle of the day shouldn't take more than 15 or 20 minutes. Easily doable.

The subway #1 train directly inside Penn Station down to the ferry (right outside the ferry) takes almost exactly the same amount of time as a cab, 16 minutes plus 5 at the max for waiting and is much less susceptible to traffic issues.

Thank you for all the suggestions. Now I'm thrilled to have a layover. I didn't know if that was enough time to get around and see things. I would love to go up in the Empire State Building and Times Square. My daughter would love FAO Schwarts. There is a FREE Staten Island Ferry? No way! How cool. How far of a cab ride would that be about? I think we come in around 11am. How long would it take to get to the ferry and take the free ride? I guess I won't be in the Acela lounge long! LOL

Sue
The FREE Staten Island Ferry is my favorite part of NYC visit. When you reach NY Penn station, just walk out to 34th St - Penn Station Subway station and take a Downtown '1' train to South Ferry station. It will take you to the ferry's departure point in 17 minutes. I suggest this over taking a cab because 1) when in NYC you gotta experience the Subway (the train system, not the sandwich shop!) and 2) Manhattan traffic can be crazy so your cab ride may get very long and expensive. The ferry to Staten Island leaves every 30 minutes or so and the ride takes around 20-25 minutes to Staten Island. Once you reach there, get off the ferry and immediately turn around to board the same ferry again to get back to Manhattan, don't worry you won't be alone, plenty of tourists do that all day, just follow the crowd! Tip: When you board the Staten Island Ferry from Manhattan, go up to the top deck (it is a huge ferry!) and stay on the right side of the ferry for the best view of Statue of Liberty. If you are on the left side you will get a beautiful view of the huge Verrazano Narrows Bridge.

When you get back to Manhattan from the ferry, the famous (hyped) Wall Street Bull is a 5 minute walk away and the WTC site is another ten minutes of walk. You can see both these and then take a Subway or a cab back to Penn Station (or Times Square if you have some more time left). NYC is never boring, whatever you do you and your daughter will enjoy it :)

SubwayNut said:
1334545571[/url]' post='361221']The subway #1 train directly inside Penn Station down to the ferry (right outside the ferry) takes almost exactly the same amount of time as a cab, 16 minutes plus 5 at the max for waiting and is much less susceptible to traffic issues.
I agree, but riding the subway in New York City can be very daunting to one who is not familiar with it. You can have 2, 3 or 4 lines sharing stations and platforms. You got locals and expresses. Even for someone who routinely rides subways in other cities all the time, the NYC subway confuses the hell out of me. That's why I didn't suggest it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Steve4031 said:
1334575606[/url]' post='361255']The subway is part of the experience. Research Before you go and you'll be ok.
Riding a cab is part of the NYC experience, too.

There's also the filth and the urine stench in the subways too, but that's a "part of the experience" I could do without
ph34r.gif

About taking the subway this summer, make sure that the line that you plan to take is actually operating through the stations that you intend to take it from and to. This summer MTA has a massive maintenance plan which involves train cancellations on many routes at various time, though mostly at night and on weekends. Ask the subway booth person at Penn Station about the train you plan to take and make sure it is there at that time that day.

Having said that, going to Times Square or Grand Central should be doable no matter what since there are several lines and not all will be out at the same time. Things like South Ferry may get a bit more interesting at times.

As soon as you leave the basement (Penn Station) and walk up onto the street you will be confronted with a cesspool of humanity moving in every which direction at an unbelievably fast pace. For someone use to a relaxed laid back life style it can be a traumatic experience but do not be discouraged as NYC is a fascinating place. I grew up in Brooklyn and attended college in NYC but I am still overwhelmed when I go back for a visit.

For shopping Macy's 34th street is right across the street. For food I do not recommend the Macy's area. Walk one block West to 9th Avenue and head South towards 29th street. There are a number of restaurants along 9th avenue that are not quite as crowded and expensive. For recreation I will second the choice of Times Square at 42nd street. Its a short 8 block walk. There you will find Madame Tussaud Wax Museum and Ripley's Believe it or Not, and the Discovery Center Museums. They are great to see but a bit expensive. You can find coupons online for discounted admissions.

The subway is part of the experience. Research Before you go and you'll be ok.
Riding a cab is part of the NYC experience, too.

There's also the filth and the urine stench in the subways too, but that's a "part of the experience" I could do without
I've been on cabs that, due to traffic, moved slower than walking. Once we gave up, paid the cabbie the meter plus tip and walked the rest of the way.

Subway or walk.

with cabs a lot of it depends on when and where. I'm actually just returned from three days in manhattan. i took cabs several times, as well as an express bus and a lot of walking, and not once did I have a problem with a slow, traffic-beleaguered cab ride. ultimately, you should do what you are most comfortable with. I personally prefer cabs. they're cleaner, you won't get ripped off and you don't have to deal with hordes of people. plus you can actually see more of new york during the ride.

I will warn you, though, that if you're going to take the ferry to the statue of liberty, you need take into account the lines. on my recent trip I spoke with a tour guide for gray line. she said that unless you go in the morning, you will deal with a lot of waiting. since you're under a small time crunch, it's something to be aware of.

There is a cafeteria style eatery in the basement of Macy's.

They have good food and there are many tables where you can

sit and eat. Prices are reasonable, at least for New York!!

A.J. said:
1334602167[/url]' post='361325']with cabs a lot of it depends on when and where. I'm actually just returned from three days in manhattan. i took cabs several times, as well as an express bus and a lot of walking, and not once did I have a problem with a slow, traffic-beleaguered cab ride. ultimately, you should do what you are most comfortable with. I personally prefer cabs. they're cleaner, you won't get ripped off and you don't have to deal with hordes of people. plus you can actually see more of new york during the ride.

I will warn you, though, that if you're going to take the ferry to the statue of liberty, you need take into account the lines. on my recent trip I spoke with a tour guide for gray line. she said that unless you go in the morning, you will deal with a lot of waiting. since you're under a small time crunch, it's something to be aware of.
I wasn't suggesting she actually GO to the statue of liberty, just cruise by it on the ferry
smile.gif

And I agree with you on the cabs. I've never had a bad cab ride in new York. They know how to get you where you're going in a hurry. And yes, you get to see new York, not the inside of a smelly subway train and tunnel.

with cabs a lot of it depends on when and where. I'm actually just returned from three days in manhattan. i took cabs several times, as well as an express bus and a lot of walking, and not once did I have a problem with a slow, traffic-beleaguered cab ride. ultimately, you should do what you are most comfortable with. I personally prefer cabs. they're cleaner, you won't get ripped off and you don't have to deal with hordes of people. plus you can actually see more of new york during the ride.

I wasn't suggesting she actually GO to the statue of liberty, just cruise by it on the ferry
smile.gif

And I agree with you on the cabs. I've never had a bad cab ride in new York. They know how to get you where you're going in a hurry. And yes, you get to see new York, not the inside of a smelly subway train and tunnel.
it's all good. :) I just thought i'd add in some well-meaning advice, in case she was tempted to indeed go. :)

I would also add that you can get a great meal just about anywhere. please, for the love of everything that is good in the world, don't eat at penn station. if you were in a hurry it wouldn't be bad, but you're in one of the greatest food cities in the world. that doesn't have to mean five star dining, just really awesome food. i would suggest getting yummy sandwiches from a 'wichcraft location and taking them with you to the ferry or park. you might also consider going to top of the rock, which offers a great view of the city with the bonus of seeing the empire state building in the view, and there are some good restaurants and bakeries close by.

I'd definitely recommend taking a short walk and checking out the High Line Elevated park. I had a 3 hour layover at NYP and checked it out, it's a neat experience being above the streets and imagining what the railway must have looked like back when it was in service.

http://www.thehighline.org/

~ DCTE

"Once you reach there, get off the ferry and immediately turn around to board the same ferry again to get back to Manhattan, don't worry you won't be alone, plenty of tourists do that all day, just follow the crowd!"

Thanks for this tip. I would not have done that.

Tip: When you board the Staten Island Ferry from Manhattan, go up to the top deck (it is a huge ferry!) and stay on the right side of the ferry for the best view of Statue of Liberty. If you are on the left side you will get a beautiful view of the huge Verrazano Narrows Bridge.

Perfect! I have added this to my notes.

Thank you!

The ferry is an hour, round trip. The cab ride in the middle of the day shouldn't take more than 15 or 20 minutes. Easily doable.

Oh good. That is useful to know. Longer than I thought too. Thanks!

There is a cafeteria style eatery in the basement of Macy's.

They have good food and there are many tables where you can

sit and eat. Prices are reasonable, at least for New York!!

Thanks for letting me know. I had no idea where to eat. Will have to check this out. Is Macy's close to the station?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back