What is your mileage?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My totals are in my signature but if you don't want to read that tiny print ;) here they are:

Amtrak--52,566

Pre-Amtrak--8,482

Total miles--61,048

If you want to be technical and add in 362 bustitution miles the total is 61, 410.

I used the mileage figures from the Amtrak timetable and from the Streamliner Schedules website. Fortunately the routes I took pre-Amtrak are all found here. And for the bustitution, I used figures from a road atlas combined with a SWAG. :lol:

Dunno miles, dunno hours - if had to go back to 1950 and count -- would take weeks. 20th C -- Zephyr? Even Amtrak days - dunno.

Most of the miles have been fairly good !

A few not so good.

Hope there's more in the future :)

There is a fellow reporting regularly on T.O. who has more than a million miles on Amtrak alone. Even has a train-watching site on the route of the SWC named after him.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Don't know exact numbers, but for Amtrak, figure about 10,000 to 15,000 miles each year for the last 15 years and then before that about 5,000 miles per year for another 10 or so years. This is just Amtrak and does not include all the other railroads ridden in that period and before. Those would include a number of commuter lines in the US, almost every TOC in the UK, IE (Irish Railway), SNCF, DB, FS, SBB/CFF/FSS, SJ, VR, RZD, Indian Railways, Thai State Railways, KTM, JR (various suffixes), RENFE, VIA etc.

I cheated & didn't buy tickets, so I don't think my high mileage counts. We figured it took about 7 years to reach a million miles on my train. That's how I calculated my mileage. No way I can count the miles before I took the job, or the miles on detours, excursions, tourist trains, etc.

Tom

I would think that Tom has the title for Amtrak Employees and jis probably takes the prize for " civilians"!

As for me, since I started riding the rails in my mothers arms back in 1944 when dinasours still roamed the earth, I probably have multiple hundreds of thousands of rail miles that were mostly enjoyable but haven't kept count and really have no way to total up the sum! (Memory is the third thing to go, I can't remember the first two!)

The LD routes and special trips during the Gathering are much easier to calculate. I'd be hard-pressed to remember every trip on the Michigan Services. I've been using those trains for about ten years.

33,500 all starting in December, 2007.....I did log some pre-Amtrak miles with my mother and sister back in the mid-1960s, but I have no recollection of them.

19,908 with 6400 reserved within the next 6 months.

EB, TE, LSL, Hiawatha, Lincoln Service. Another TE and a SWC coming up.

Oh...

You mean on rails! :eek:

My dad use to say: "She looks like she has a lot of mileage on her!" :huh:

...and he wasn't talking cars... :giggle:

I'm at the office and don't have my log handy BUT my total is in the neighborhood of 152,000 miles plus or minus maybe 1,000.

I've used timetables and rail atlases to do my calculations going back to my first 'real' train ride, a steam excursion on the old Clinchfield Railroad between Marion, NC and Erwin, TN in October 1974.

My log includes a number of excursions, several trips on Southern Railway pre-Amtrak, lots of Amtrak miles, and about 2,300 rail miles accumulated in Europe this past summer....... roughly the equivalent of riding the California Zephyr from suburban Chicago to Sacramento!

See mine below.

First trip was '90. Then '96, and a dry spell till '09. Been traveling pretty much most of the time since '09.

Last edited by a moderator:
I started traveling by train when I was less than a month old. My Dad worked for a railroad and trains were the only way to travel more than 25 miles. I was born in Joliet, Ill on 8/2/48 and christened in Council Bluffs, Iowa at my Grandmother's church on August 29....we traveled on the Rocky Mountain Rocket. During the 1950s, we traveled between Peoria, Illinois and Council Bluffs, Iowa several times a year sometimes via Burlington, sometimes via Rock Island. When I was 4 and my Mother was expecting my brother, we traveled to visit my Dad's family in Tennessee via P&E, C&EI, L&N, Southern. We usually did a summer rail trip and sometimes during the Christmas/New Year Holiday season. My Mother taught school and we were off from school. We went from Peoria to Bar Harbor Maine one summer via various railroads. We went to New York City several times include over the holidays to see decorations. My Dad also had family in Hot Springs, Ark, so we also traveled from Bloomington, Il to Hot Springs on a through Sleeping car that was switched at St. Louis Union Station. In 1962 my Dad, brother and I moved to Hot Springs Ark. We rode trains of the MoPac, Rock Island, Frisco and KCS in that era. We also did a long trip each summer...always by train because my Dad had a pass even after he retired. When Amtrak started in 1971 I was a frequent passenger every year. I have ridden every Amtrak route, many multiple times. I am looking forward to continue to ride whatever passenger trains are running.

As you can see from my signature, I've racked up over 173,000 miles on Amtrak as of July. But I've ridden since then and its probably close to 174,000 now. I've kept track all along and even remember the rides I did as a kid. I keep a spreadsheet of all my rides and now up to over 600 segments! This includes Ambus rides as well.

I started traveling by train when I was less than a month old. My Dad worked for a railroad and trains were the only way to travel more than 25 miles. I was born in Joliet, Ill on 8/2/48 and christened in Council Bluffs, Iowa at my Grandmother's church on August 29....we traveled on the Rocky Mountain Rocket. During the 1950s, we traveled between Peoria, Illinois and Council Bluffs, Iowa several times a year sometimes via Burlington, sometimes via Rock Island. When I was 4 and my Mother was expecting my brother, we traveled to visit my Dad's family in Tennessee via P&E, C&EI, L&N, Southern. We usually did a summer rail trip and sometimes during the Christmas/New Year Holiday season. My Mother taught school and we were off from school. We went from Peoria to Bar Harbor Maine one summer via various railroads. We went to New York City several times include over the holidays to see decorations. My Dad also had family in Hot Springs, Ark, so we also traveled from Bloomington, Il to Hot Springs on a through Sleeping car that was switched at St. Louis Union Station. In 1962 my Dad, brother and I moved to Hot Springs Ark. We rode trains of the MoPac, Rock Island, Frisco and KCS in that era. We also did a long trip each summer...always by train because my Dad had a pass even after he retired. When Amtrak started in 1971 I was a frequent passenger every year. I have ridden every Amtrak route, many multiple times. I am looking forward to continue to ride whatever passenger trains are running.
Any chance your Southern experience included The Tennessean? I have an equipment question if so.

As you can see from my signature, I've racked up over 173,000 miles on Amtrak as of July. But I've ridden since then and its probably close to 174,000 now. I've kept track all along and even remember the rides I did as a kid. I keep a spreadsheet of all my rides and now up to over 600 segments! This includes Ambus rides as well.
Are you sure you're not an Engineer, rather than a pilot. (Engineer as in keeping those spreadsheets). ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back