what is the longest train(based on scheduled hours)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ToniCounter

Service Attendant
Questions: what is currently the longest Amtrak train

based on the number of scheduled hours traveled)?

thanks!

Technically this is correct if you include the #421/#422 Sections that run 3 days a week on the Sunset Ltd. between LAX and SAS, but for a single Route LD Train, the California Zephyr is the Winner on Mileage and Time.

And for all-time longest, it would probably be the Sunset Limited during the period it ran from Los Angeles all the way through to Miami...

Just a side note that if you use a definition that counts the Texas Eagle as the longest current Amtrak train, than the longest through service ever to involve Amtrak was a through New York-Los Angeles sleeping car via New Orleans operated by Amtrak and the Southern Railway around the mid 1970's at 3372 Miles and 76 hours and 30 minutes. The longest through service ever operated entirely by Amtrak was a through sleeper from New York to Los Angeles via St. Louis and Kansas City that operated during the same time period at 3102 miles and 70 hours and 20 minutes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't mean to be picky, but what does the word "currently" mean?
Sorry...just thought you might be interested in the history.

Didn't mean to "hijack" your thread...
don't worry about it... I'm guilty of taking MANY thread totally off-topic. :)

as long as I'm asking... what is the longest passenger train in the world?

also, why does my cat like to know the universal remove off the coffee table?

(but shows zero interest in the Apple TV and DirecTV remotes?)

Trans-Siberian, Moscow to Vladivostok is the one I'd like to take-six days. At least if I had the money and thought Mr. Putin's country was safe.

Moscow to Vladivostok as Carolina Special mentioned, is the longest journey by a complete through train. If through car operations are considered, than the longest is a twice a month Moscow to Pyongyang through sleeper.

Are you asking the question you are asking, or are you asking the question the previous respondents think you are asking?

If the latter, then your question should have been "longest passenger train ROUTE in the world", and those answers are probably correct.

If the former, then the answer is probably Amtrak's Auto Train, which can have a consist of about 50 cars max, and has had more than that before the limit was imposed. It's true that there are more Auto Carriers than passenger cars on the train. Some have suggested that these are freight cars and shouldn't be counted. However, those are not ordinary freight cars. They are in restricted, dedicated service for Auto Train. They carry the personal belonging (i.e., automobiles) of the passengers on that train. They are, in effect, baggage cars of a sort. Therefore, they should be counted as passenger cars. If the train carries freight cars that are not associated with the passengers aboard, then it is called a mixed train, and is not generally considered a pure passenger train.

As for the other thing, I don't know nuttin' 'bout cats.

Tom

Are you asking the question you are asking, or are you asking the question the previous respondents think you are asking?

If the latter, then your question should have been "longest passenger train ROUTE in the world", and those answers are probably correct.

If the former, then the answer is probably Amtrak's Auto Train, which can have a consist of about 50 cars max, and has had more than that before the limit was imposed. It's true that there are more Auto Carriers than passenger cars on the train. Some have suggested that these are freight cars and shouldn't be counted. However, those are not ordinary freight cars. They are in restricted, dedicated service for Auto Train. They carry the personal belonging (i.e., automobiles) of the passengers on that train. They are, in effect, baggage cars of a sort. Therefore, they should be counted as passenger cars. If the train carries freight cars that are not associated with the passengers aboard, then it is called a mixed train, and is not generally considered a pure passenger train.

As for the other thing, I don't know nuttin' 'bout cats.

Tom

I rode the Auto Train once and that was probably the longest nonstop train I've ever been on. I watched them load my car and then boarded the train. After it pulled out of Lorton, I only remember the train stopping 3 times. None at stations... just somewhere along the route to stop and wait for freight trains to pass us. I slept like a baby and before I knew it, the train pulled into Sanford. On the return trip, I drove it almost nonstop... stopping at a strip club near the Georgia state line and gas/food, of course. To this day, I still have no recollection of where that strip was.... it was "unique" because the county or state law didn't allow nudity and all the "stripper" had bikinis on.(yes, even for lap dances)

A thru car attached to the trans Siberian leaves Moscow weekly with its destination being Pyongyang. This is the longest single car train journey in the world however as a non North Korean/Russian it is highly unlikely that any of us would be allowed to travel on it.

I do take umbridge at the comment above stating that Russia is unsafe. The Russian people are an amazing race and Russia it self is no more dangerous for tourists then many Western countries the UK and USA included.

A thru car attached to the trans Siberian leaves Moscow weekly with its destination being Pyongyang. This is the longest single car train journey in the world however as a non North Korean/Russian it is highly unlikely that any of us would be allowed to travel on it.

I do take umbridge at the comment above stating that Russia is unsafe. The Russian people are an amazing race and Russia it self is no more dangerous for tourists then many Western countries the UK and USA included.
If you are referring to my comment, I wasn't talking about crime concerns; I was under the impression that there is still ongoing fighting in the Donetsk area as part of the War in Donbass. If this is not the case, I retract my statement.

If you are referring to my comment, I wasn't talking about crime concerns; I was under the impression that there is still ongoing fighting in the Donetsk area as part of the War in Donbass. If this is not the case, I retract my statement.
As long as you keep away from Dontesk and the rest of the Ukraine Russian border and away from South Ossetia region then you will be as safe as you would be in any US or European town with regards to terrorism or war. Its a lovely country and the trans-sib is one of the great journeys of the world and I'd urge anyone who wants to do it to do it soon before the Chinese plow a high speed line thru Siberia and ruin the romance of the journey

I don't mean to picky, but why don't you look it up yourself in the timetable and then start a discussion?

You give us nothing to work with then complain about our responses.

Geeze!

no... I was absolutely NOT complaining! I freely admit that I'm a lazy no-good two-timing train buff.

As long as you keep away from Dontesk and the rest of the Ukraine Russian border and away from South Ossetia region then you will be as safe as you would be in any US or European town with regards to terrorism or war. Its a lovely country and the trans-sib is one of the great journeys of the world and I'd urge anyone who wants to do it to do it soon before the Chinese plow a high speed line thru Siberia and ruin the romance of the journey
I was only ever trying to say that the Donetsk area is a war zone not all of Russia and Ukraine. Sorry if I was unclear.

I haven't done the Moscow to Vladivostok route, but I have traveled Beijing to Moscow twice. That is a long trip, you end up spending 5 nights/6 days (Wednesday to Monday) on the train and the food varies from boring to bad. But you do get various short stops en route to buy litres of beer and sausage. Not surprisingly, the "atmosphere" in your compartment is not quite as fresh the last couple days. My party once mistakenly thought we were a single day out of Moscow from breakfast until lunch of day 4. When we realized we were two days out, 2 people in our party were so depressed we should have put them on suicide watch.

One of the more interesting stops was at Ulan Ude where they lift up the carriages one by one to switch the Chinese gauge bogies to a Russian gauge. Kind of impressive in a slow understated way.

I hope you like birch trees and beer...

Trans-Siberian, Moscow to Vladivostok is the one I'd like to take-six days. At least if I had the money and thought Mr. Putin's country was safe.

Sorry...just thought you might be interested in the history.Didn't mean to "hijack" your thread...

because cat!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back