What is the best roomette on a Viewliner train?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kbyrdleroydogg

Train Attendant
I just booked one going from NYP - CHI. I received roomette #007 and was told that because it is in the middle, it is a quiet car with few bumps.
Has anyone else had this room? Should I change to one at the end if available?

I just booked one going from NYP - CHI. I received roomette #007 and was told that because it is in the middle, it is a quiet car with few bumps.
Has anyone else had this room? Should I change to one at the end if available?
Personally, I like being close to the toilet which is also close to the Coffee and Juice and Ice

Since the title of your thread states Viewliner, I assume you will be traveling on the Lake Shore Limited. The toilets are in the room, so I do not understand the last response. I do not think 7 is in the middle of the car. I think of 3 or 5 being more towards the middle. On the Silver Meteor, my room preference is 1, 3 or 5. 7 is not too bad, but I prefer lower numbers.

Most of the rooms would be fine IMHO. Rooms 9,10,,11, and 12 are closer to the end of the car where the coffee and shower are. The lower the room number, the closer to the center of the car. Rooms 1 and 2 are the first rooms that you encounter after you pass the bedrooms. Viewliners in general ride pretty well.

I had Roomettes #1 and #2 on the Silver Meteor in the December and January. The ride was comfortable and the SCAs did an excellent job in maintaining the car and my accommodation.

I believe I was in room 9 one time and over the trucks and the truck had a defect. It was not a smooth ride. I believe Jis was diagonally across the hall at the time and I am sure he will have a much better explanation than mine.

As Penny and others have said,you dont want to be over the Trucks or by the Shower, so Roomettes #1-4 are the Best Overall ones in a Viewliner Sleeper due to being in the Middle of the Car.( behind the 3 Bedrooms A/B/H).

To me every roomette is like every other roomette, if you're on Viewliner equipment.
With the Superliner you might have a lower or upper level preference (I like the lower level, on the track feeling)

I believe I was in room 9 one time and over the trucks and the truck had a defect. It was not a smooth ride. I believe Jis was diagonally across the hall at the time and I am sure he will have a much better explanation than mine.
It needed new shock absorbers. That together with having a flat wheel in that truck did not help.

Maybe with a move towards RCM at least the shocks will be replaced in a more timely manner as soon as they develop a defect.

FYI - The New York Section of the Lake Shore LImited is now reported to be carrying Viewliner II's. Besides not having the toilet in the roomette, the coffee station has moved to next to #1, to make room for extra toilets down at the end next to the high numbers.

FYI - The New York Section of the Lake Shore LImited is now reported to be carrying Viewliner II's. Besides not having the toilet in the roomette, the coffee station has moved to next to #1, to make room for extra toilets down at the end next to the high numbers.
Welcome to Amtrak Unlimited!

Yes, the 2nd of 2 sleepers in the NYP section has been a VL II for about 6 months now. The 1st NYP & the BOS sleeper are still VL I's.
1648834986544.png

Back