What is "station work"?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bjartmarr

Service Attendant
I've been on a few late trains where we spent a significant amount of time (10 minutes?) stopped at a station. (Passengers were allowed outside to smoke, etc.)

The disembodied voice said that we would be leaving as soon as they completed "station work". Obviously this includes loading pax and baggage, but they weren't loading pax and baggage all that time. What else are they doing when the train lingers for "station work"?

I've been on a few late trains where we spent a significant amount of time (10 minutes?) stopped at a station. (Passengers were allowed outside to smoke, etc.)

The disembodied voice said that we would be leaving as soon as they completed "station work". Obviously this includes loading pax and baggage, but they weren't loading pax and baggage all that time. What else are they doing when the train lingers for "station work"?
Crew change probably at the short ones. Fuel, water, etc at the longer ones

Could be off loading those big paper sacks that they use for trash. Could be adding water to the holding tanks in the cars. Ever so often they get a new operating crew, engineer and conductors. And occasionally they have to fuel the locomotives from a big tanker truck that will pull up. I have also know the dining crew to call ahead and ask the station agent to go buy some food item they are running out of. Of course that was back when they fixed fresh food rather than pre-portioned frozen stuff.

BN

The 2 minute stop at Ardmore OK for the Heartland Flyer is advertised as a "Station Work Stop," though for those 2 minutes whilst smokers smoke as fast as physically possible, the Conductors are usually train side and, of course, no refueling or reprovisioning takes place. I think it is just a catch-all term for an extended stop.

The 2 minute stop at Ardmore OK for the Heartland Flyer is advertised as a "Station Work Stop," though for those 2 minutes whilst smokers smoke as fast as physically possible, the Conductors are usually train side and, of course, no refueling or reprovisioning takes place. I think it is just a catch-all term for an extended stop.
That stop is for Texas' Customs and Immigration people to screen out undesirable Okies and any stray Yankees that may be trying to sneek into the Lone Star State! LOL

Jim, that's not the way I heard it. Was told that the stop was necessary so that customs officials could check the papers on international passengers crossing into Baja Oklahoma from the US. Lol!

We've taught you well young grasshopper! :D

We've taught you well young grasshopper! :D
Or I've been hanging around these crazy people too long :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back