What happened to the woman who vanished from the Auto Train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The last I heard was that they did not know what happened to her. I believe that it was determined that money was not taken out of her purse. I assume that since I live in Orlando, I would have heard something if the authorities had come to any conclusions. I have not heard anything new.

Good question.

Ever since the American news media were brought under the entertainment divisions of the major networks back in the 1980's they have chosen to spend most their news gathering efforts on the pointless "sketchy assumptions" stage of each story. Then they quickly drop the issue for the next sketchy story long before any actual information can get out. I have little doubt this story will follow that same time-honored path of lazy reporting right into perpetual obscurity. It takes time and effort to follow a story like this to completion and since most of the American public apparently can't remember what happened yesterday, let alone last month, there's really no point.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good question.

Ever since the American news media were brought under the entertainment divisions of the major networks back in the 1980's they have chosen to spend most their news gathering efforts on the pointless "sketchy assumptions" stage of each story.

Yes, excellent point made on truth. The only item I'll debate on is the time period; i believe the networks' prettying up actual news with fluff and bluff began in the 90's. That's when staples like 'CBS News' became 'CBS Information Services'. The product of marketing and consulting experts, it made us feel it was soooooo appealing.... to get everything we need on one station.... little did any of us know that an earthquake in Haiti will blend in staggard with the much more important news that men can use Botox to get smoother pectorals, or that a new cream can actually make it seem to appear that a woman's facial wrinkles may really work.... because after all, we'll watch hours of crap on reality shows that showcase lotsa boob jobs, lucious botox lips, and masculine biceps that are exploding with dripping steroids.

But building a railroad bridge??!!! AHAHAHAHAHAHHAAAHHAHAHAHAHA!!! "R U serious u foools?!! How dare you expect well funded corporate breast feeding largesse at it's finest to broadcast something that has great importance!!! We the broadcasters sentence you trainloving little people with rice grains for balls to be lashed 20 times!!!! Either that, or watch yet another episode of Lindsey Lohan's battle with oxygen molecules that she must breathe to stay alive, followed by four luxury auto/car commercials in a row.."

So i guess it's easier and, more lucrative to think plastic surgery will solve all of mankinds' greatest of problems than starving babies with flies buzzing around tham, and certainly worth more our than any news about rail.

But building a railroad bridge??!!! AHAHAHAHAHAHHAAAHHAHAHAHAHA!!! "R U serious u foools?!! How dare you expect well funded corporate breast feeding largesse at it's finest to broadcast something that has great importance!!! We the broadcasters sentence you trainloving little people with rice grains for balls to be lashed 20 times!!!! Either that, or watch yet another episode of Lindsey Lohan's battle with oxygen molecules that she must breathe to stay alive, followed by four luxury auto/car commercials in a row.."
So i guess it's easier and, more lucrative to think plastic surgery will solve all of mankinds' greatest of problems than starving babies with flies buzzing around tham, and certainly worth more our than any news about rail.
When you see the level of accuracy you get on reporting of most major events, it is probably better that they do stick with the latest trials and tribulations of the most useless members of our society. Just take any event you know about first hand: Compare the reprtage with reality. Can you say unrecognizable?

When you see the level of accuracy you get on reporting of most major events, it is probably better that they do stick with the latest trials and tribulations of the most useless members of our society.
This is true, GH. I've read newsblurbs that leaked unchecked onto rail oriented news websites, of all places, referring to Amtrak's purchase of 70 new "locomotives", as 70 new "trains". The Walter Cronkites of our past would likely never have made such gaffes, and even worse, appear to glee about it.

I think reporters/media fixation with trivial b.s. is a cause and effect, that our culture of breeding and then tolerating such deviation, as is the seduction of high ratings. If Amtrak and rail in general is to make a footprint in the brutal world of 'look how my beauty in media let's me walk on water', it has got to go away with the lame campaigns on air now and create an opera-like symphony that has the heavens triumphantly blasting the message about how great it is to take Amtrak on business vacation visiting someone or whatever. Proof? the Guest Rewards credit card has a swoosh graphic, but my very good non-railfan friend put it best when he looked at it and said: "Shouldn't it have a picture of a train on it?" Shouldn't it indeed... *sighing*

I now want to return to the thread's other subject of that poor lady who perished, just by stating that I hope her spirit is at peace and, if she was deliberately thrown, that our laws and the laws of the Divine forcefeed her murderer a just dessert.

Last edited by a moderator:
The last I heard was that they did not know what happened to her. I believe that it was determined that money was not taken out of her purse. I assume that since I live in Orlando, I would have heard something if the authorities had come to any conclusions. I have not heard anything new.
Penny,

I'd assume that being in Orlando you would at least hear some snippets of what is going on. Up here in the Poconos (PA) we just learned that Richard Nixon was elected President, so we are a bit behind in the news :blush: . Let us know if you hear anything.

Penny,

I'd assume that being in Orlando you would at least hear some snippets of what is going on. Up here in the Poconos (PA) we just learned that Richard Nixon was elected President, so we are a bit behind in the news :blush: . Let us know if you hear anything.
You mean the newspapers were wrong, Nixon actually beat Kennedy?

Up here in the Poconos (PA) we just learned that Richard Nixon was elected President, so we are a bit behind in the news :blush: . Let us know if you hear anything.
Could I interest you in a wager on the upcoming 1970 World's Series? :rolleyes:

Up here in the Poconos (PA) we just learned that Richard Nixon was elected President, so we are a bit behind in the news :blush: . Let us know if you hear anything.
Could I interest you in a wager on the upcoming 1970 World's Series? :rolleyes:
Sure, as long as I get to pick the winner!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Penny,

No snippets at all and I am a "news junkie." I read the local newspaper, I watch local news and MSNBC. Also, all of my friends know I am interested in trains and most of the time a train is mentioned in the newspaper, someone brings me the article or tells me about it. I wish I had a clever retort to your comment about Nixon, but I don't - other than:

The incident is still officially under investigation but my theory is that one of the service attendents may have killed her because she didn't leave a tip or that she committed suicide becaue she was gravely ill and suffering.

The incident is still officially under investigation but my theory is that one of the service attendents may have killed her because she didn't leave a tip or that she committed suicide becaue she was gravely ill and suffering.
That's not a theory so much as a completely random thought that came out of nothing.

Penny,

No snippets at all and I am a "news junkie." I read the local newspaper, I watch local news and MSNBC. Also, all of my friends know I am interested in trains and most of the time a train is mentioned in the newspaper, someone brings me the article or tells me about it. I wish I had a clever retort to your comment about Nixon, but I don't - other than:

I doubt there can be any clever retorts about Nixon..... :blush:

That's not a theory so much as a completely random thought that came out of nothing.

You perhaps do not understand the meaning of the word theory. Here it is from Websters Dictionary.

Theory: A proposed explanation whose status is still conjectural, in contrast to well-established propositions that are regarded as reporting matters of actual fact.

Then it's a theory based exclusively on a completely random thought which has no basis in deductive logic.

I'm not sure how that changes anything, but there you go. *shrug*

Boy are you all behind the times. The Washington Post recently reported that The Senators may be moving from DC!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back