What exactly is the women's lounge?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mainemanman

Train Attendant
Obviously, I cannot go in it, but what exactly is it? Is it like a cafe lounge, or a bathroom? I have never seen pictures of the interior.

funny I am a woman who is on a Superliner regularly and I've never looked! LOL! My guess is it may be just a larger bathroom, certainly not some place to lounge around!

It is a larger bathroom that has baby changing table and other thing mothers need to attend to a baby's needs.

The bathroom itself is the same size, but there is an attached, larger area with a bench and large mirror. It would be great for changing clothes, but the door doesn’t latch.

Back in the day, long distance coaches had mens and womens lounges. Basically there would be toilet closets off of a lounge that would have either a couch or a few chairs. There would also be 2 or 3 sinks with mirrors. The idea was, it was a place for men to shave, change clothes etc.

When I was a kid I remember riding the Amtrak City of New Orleans when it was single level heritage cars (including a dome!) and it had these old types of lounges, at that the men just hung out there and smoked. I was always nervous about going in there. (Remember at that time, smoking was allowed in the lounge cars etc.)

The first Superliners were built by Pullman and were designed with a little bit of the old rail mentality... so the womens lounge stayed but not the mens lounge.

Most major stations back in the day also had women’s waiting rooms as well.

I want to say now and Jis can correct me if I’m wrong. In India they operate women’s cars on select trains. I remember reading an article on it at some time but can’t remember the exact details.

Back in the day, long distance coaches had mens and womens lounges. Basically there would be toilet closets off of a lounge that would have either a couch or a few chairs. There would also be 2 or 3 sinks with mirrors. The idea was, it was a place for men to shave, change clothes etc.

When I was a kid I remember riding the Amtrak City of New Orleans when it was single level heritage cars (including a dome!) and it had these old types of lounges, at that the men just hung out there and smoked. I was always nervous about going in there. (Remember at that time, smoking was allowed in the lounge cars etc.)

The first Superliners were built by Pullman and were designed with a little bit of the old rail mentality... so the womens lounge stayed but not the mens lounge.
I recall traveling from JAX to FAY in 1973 (I think) in coach. I was a smoker at the time and spent a lot of time in the women's lounge. It was a very comfortable place to sit, smoke and chat. Thinking back (as a nonsmoker now), I feel bad for the non-smokers who wanted to use the restroom.

I also recall traveling on the Auto Train in a roomette (probably in the 1990's) and using the women's restroom (which was much nicer, in my opinion, than the unisex restrooms).

Most major stations back in the day also had women’s waiting rooms as well.

I want to say now and Jis can correct me if I’m wrong. In India they operate women’s cars on select trains. I remember reading an article on it at some time but can’t remember the exact details.
Brings back memories from my Childhood and Youth riding the Rails.

In Mexico City the packed Subway has Cars for Women and Children only due to the large number of Macho Molesters that Macho countries produce. I'm sure there are many others also.

I remember those lounges and the men and smoking.

On suburban trains in India, there is usually a women only car or two. In fact, I remember that suburban UK trains sometimes had a ladies only compartment, usually adjacent to the guards compartment. (Guard is more or less the same as a conductor...)
Back to India, I don't think I have seen any ladies only coaches on the long distance trains, but I could be wrong...

Here is a picture of the glamorous interior.

womenslounge.jpg

This is the view when standing in front of the bathroom door (which you can lock).

To the left is the door going to the hallway (which does not lock). To the right is a mirror and large vanity for styling hair, putting on makeup, etc. That's the little seat for the vanity in front of you. Then there's the bench on the left.

There's not much room for socializing and lounging, as the name implies. It's just a large changing area.

Back