what do you do on a train for 30 hrs ?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DJ K

i am in london, england, going travelling in the states this summer for 5 weeks, i need to travel from chicago to glacier park, which is a 30 hour trip!

What services and facilities are there on the train?

And also are the seats comfortable and reclinable?

Has anyone been on such a huge journey?

Thanks!

The DJ K

I am sure that many people will help you with many details...here are some opening thoughts of mine.

Yes, indeed, the seats are comfortable and reclinable---reclining seats have been standard on long distance trains for decades. Of course you might consider going in a sleeping car.

It is a huge country---a 30 hour trip is not that unusual for land travel....if it was not made by train, you have to do it on a bus or in a car for a similar amount of time.

There are many things to do: relax, enjoy the scenery, take pictures, perhaps read up ahead of time on the scenery through which you will pass. Go to the sightseer lounge car. Talk to the other passengers.

Note that etiquette on a train is more relaxed than etiquette in public(even in the American public). It IS ok to talk to strangers, especially if you are seated across from them in the dining car....or sitting across from them in the lounge car.

Of course you will, hopefully, be sleeping part of that time as well!

Believe me, many people have done it...if you are really worried about it...just make it an attitude thing and look forward to the experience..

Find a woman with a room in the sleeper, buy her a couple of drinks...

Continuing my earlier thoughts, dining car food can be quite good and many regard it as a" dining experience", not just the consumption of necessary food. It is part of the fun to sit at a real table with real food and talk to (hopefully interesting) table partners as the scenery goes by.

However, if you are traveling coach the dining car meals are not included in the price of your ticket. You will also want to consider the snacks you can buy in the lounge car. Some of them are sufficient for a meal, esp.if you are on a budget.

What I want to convey is to look at it as experience to enjoy, not a chore to be endured. Enjoy the travel TO a place, not just the destination itself. And when it is over, you will have seen a slice of of American which many who live here have not seen....all going gently out your window without any effort on your part.

FOOD IS QUITE EXPENSIVE ON THE TRAIN!

The food in the dining car is usually quite good, though! If you can bring a snack and skip lunch, the breakfask and dinner cost isn't too bad. Not good, but not that bad for the quality.

And, DON'T FORGET TO TIP YOUR SERVER!!! At least the customary 15% as you would (I hope) in a restaurant. Many people DON'T, and it's a shame! For the long hours and hard work Amtrak employees do, a bit of recognition goes a long way!!!

DJ K said:
i am in london, england, going travelling in the states this summer for 5 weeks, i need to travel from chicago to glacier park, which is a 30 hour trip!
I'm extremely familiar with this trip, as the Empire Builder is the train I take to visit my parents in North Dakota. As a matter of fact, I'll be on it again most of Saturday and Sunday morning. Of course, it also happens to be my favorite train!

What services and facilities are there on the train?
The Empire Builder, like all western US long distance trains, is set up with the double-decker Superliner cars. It has a dining car, a lounge car, a smoking area in the bottom of one of the coaches. Usually it has three sleepers and four coaches, but may have less depending on demand. The lounge car, called a Sightseer Lounge, has very large windows on the upper level to check out the scenery, and a snack bar in the lower level with snacks, heat and eat foods (mostly sandwiches), and alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages. I highly recommend having at least one meal in the dining car. Supper is the most expensive, but the quality makes the price quite acceptable, whereas breakfast is much cheaper (and seems to be a better deal). I don't recommend having lunch in the dining car, as it doesn't seem to be all that great for the price.

And also are the seats comfortable and reclinable?
The coach seats are pretty comfortable and do recline pretty well. I would compare them to first-class airline seats, but you actually have more room in coach on the train. For an overnight trip, coach works just fine, especially since you can get up and walk around or hang out in the lounge car anytime you want.

Has anyone been on such a huge journey?
Yes, every time I take the train home. The trip from Portland, Oregon, (which is an endpoint of the Empire Builder) to Williston, North Dakota, is 24 hours on the train.

You will find the people on the train extremely intersting and quite different on the various routes. They are, as a rule, very easy to meet, and you can easily spend more that 50 hours meeting a galaxy of interesting personalities. Unlike the the plane where the close proximity and the short trip durations keeps everyone appart, the spacious accommodations on the train keeps everyone far enough away from each other to keep everyone friendly. You'll have a great time.

excellent, thankyou for the quick responses, you have all put my mind at ease and making it sound like part of the holiday itself, to be enjoyed !

thanks again :rolleyes:

DJ K said:
making it sound like part of the holiday itself, to be enjoyed !
Believe me, the trip is very much part of the holiday. Enjoy your trip, and feel free to ask more questions if you have any. Also, please drop in after your trip and let us know how it went.

DJK,

I think that many of the others have answered you questions about traveling by train. Half the fun is just riding and watching what's outside the window. Also interacting with your fellow passengers, can make for a pleasent experience.

Let me also direct you to a page from Prodigy's On Track On Line website. The page, which you can find here, is full of tips and hints about riding Amtrak trains. It can also help to give you some idea of what to expect while on board.

Have a great trip!!!! :) :)

Hi,

If you want, you can go to this website:

http://communities.prodigy.net/trains/

and go to TRIP REPORTS. I wrote something for them a few weeks ago about the EB and other trains on which I traveled last summer. I hope you have some time for Chicago, a great city. Cheers!

Scott

Ive been from LA to New Orleans...3 days and back home

you just hang out, bring a book & music, chat with people and enjoy the scenery. it's a great relaxing trip....you can be as LAZY as you wanna be

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back