We could learn a thing or two from RZD - the Russian Railways

Discussion in 'Freight, International and Other Rail' started by jis, Sep 26, 2019.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

1. Sep 26, 2019 #1

jis

jis

jis

Conductor AU Lifetime Supporter Gathering Team Member

railiner likes this.
  2. Sep 28, 2019 #2

Thirdrail7

T

Thirdrail7

Conductor

We'd have to know a lot more about the operation before seeing what could be learned. I'm particularly interested in a few statements:

What exactly does that mean? Does this mean the train is authorized to skip stops to make up time? A commuter railroad I'm familiar with used to employ this tactic quite often as the stressed on time performance. Do they have stringent ADA laws? Can they delay their trains to accommodate passengers with additional needs?

Another thing of interest is this premise:

It seems like they have total control of their railway. That isn't really the case in a great of railroads in the US. Each host may consider THEIR schedule sacred which means other trains take the siding. Years ago, the Amtrak Metroliner service had a 10 minute on time performance discount. If you were more than 10 minutes late, you received the difference in fare between the Metroliner and the regular train.

Trogdor likes this.
  3. Oct 8, 2019 #3
  4. Oct 10, 2019 #4

Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Conductor

All three of those articles have motivated me to go to Russia.

5. Oct 10, 2019 #5

jis

jis

jis

Applying for a Russian visa is a pain in the butt. But after that it is more or less quite interesting.

6. Oct 11, 2019 #6

MARC Rider

M

MARC Rider

Conductor

Planning to take a ride in Platzkarte (3rd class) before they upgrade the equipment? :)

7. Oct 12, 2019 #7

Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Conductor

No I’m not sure I could do that. But I definitely would consider second class.

8. Oct 12, 2019 #8

jis

jis

jis

Platzkarte in Russia is equivalent (more or less) to what is know as Three Tier non-AC Sleeper in India. Of course the Russian variety is heated for obvious reasons. India does have an AC variety of the 3 Tier Sleeper too. Both are supposed to be reserved assigned accommodation, but like everything else in India - it depends. o_O

9. Oct 13, 2019 #9

Gemuser

G

Gemuser

Service Attendant

Having walked through several Platzarte cars in a number of trains, in August, most of which were pretty much full, I have to agree with Seaboard92, on the other hand Kupe [second class more or less] was quite acceptable.

10. Oct 13, 2019 #10

Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Conductor

The thing about me is I like having a place when I don’t want to be social to go and escape it all. I’m naturally a very social person so on the Canadian I don’t mind the sections. But I also know of plenty of hiding holes where I can disappear for a bit if I want to.