Viewliner II Part 2: Dining Car Production, Delivery, Speculation

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boston, Hartford, and a Dorm are headed to Chicago for a Long Distance test train...

What does this mean exactly? What long distance test train? To cycle in with the Cardinal? Two diners and a dorm car? For training? I can't imagine that it is for a "new" LD train of any sort. I'd be concerned Amtrak would want to use the cars for axle counts on the Midwest Corridors. Test train? That needs more info.

I don't understand also why the Cardinal doesn't already have contemporary dining since it is serving same end points. And with announcement that everything east of Mississippi is to get "contemporary dining," does this mean the Silver Star gets a Viewliner II Diner - it should, why not? They could even charge for the meals, or pilot a program where the VIewliner II acts as a single level lounge/diner for purchase of meals, using a staff of one. Have the Viewliner Diners been through modifications so that they just have re-heating capability and storage of "box meals" only? I would imagine, that equipment was moved out to make way for storage and perhaps better convection ovens and beverage stations added. Unfortunately, the Viewliner Diners were designed to operate like a 1950s dining car, but with updated layout and better efficiencies. But that's not how Anderson will operate it!

Test train for what? Let’s see how many Station don’t have ADA platform or even Lifts available?

Must be testing the ride, after all if the tracks can keep a Superliner upright, those Viewliners have no chance.

Still available for the CEO position. I am just saying.

What a waste of funds, both for a test train, and in buy the cars.

Oh boy. Well, some of these posts bring back an old thread that was never followed up on. However, now is the time. From the past, do some of you remember the old
LSL Michigan Reroute Rumors & Speculation thread? This was when rumors swirled they were going to reroute the Lake Shore for a month?

Towards the end, I made this post:

Indeed, but remember when things are told, there is often distortion when the last person receives the message. I have a feeling that someday, we're all going to sit back and have a nice laugh about this...assuming you haven't been laughing all along.

Perhaps, we'll even laugh at someone!

the-truth.jpg

To be continued.............. ;)

Well, the truth is they were assembling equipment, just as they are below:

Boston, Hartford, and a Dorm are headed to Chicago for a Long Distance test train...

What does this mean exactly? What long distance test train? To cycle in with the Cardinal? Two diners and a dorm car? For training? I can't imagine that it is for a "new" LD train of any sort. I'd be concerned Amtrak would want to use the cars for axle counts on the Midwest Corridors. Test train? That needs more info.

Test train for what? Let’s see how many Station don’t have ADA platform or even Lifts available?

Must be testing the ride, after all if the tracks can keep a Superliner upright, those Viewliners have no chance.

Still available for the CEO position. I am just saying.

What a waste of funds, both for a test train, and in buy the cars.

Um.....all of these movements revolve around PTC test trains. They tend to fun the test trains based upon the routes utilized. You won't see a three car test train on a route that typically has 10 cars. This is because (as I understand) system they are using (unlike ACSES) is more train specific, based upon length, speed and equipment type.

In the above Reroute thread, they were attempting to assemble a consist that approached the length of the LSL to test on the various lines. The equipment was going to be needed for a month which was problematic at the time. However, PTC fell way behind so that particular train wasn't needed when originally called for.

The PTC test train that is on its way to LAX is an assortment of available equipment the fulfills the needed length so they can have the proper information to establish the profile.

Or something like that. I'm not an I-ETMS expert.

At any rate, PTC test trains have been running around for the better part of the year. They are attempting to use as much non revenue equipment as possible (particularly in the summer months) which is why you also see the Pacific Bend and Chargers in the mix. Can I think of better use for these cars....and the bag dorm and new sleeper(that still hasn't finished mods) that werer recently on a test train in the midwest?

Sure, but the tests still need to run when the hosts are ready for it. I'd rather sub a non revenue car for revenue car to run tests.

Last edited:
I've seen that test train is eastbound on the route of California Zephyr now. It might be going through Iowa today? I've also generally only seen this referred to as a Charger test train elsewhere. Are the Chargers being tested too, or is it basically people just guessing?

Well, I did catch the test train last night as it passed Agency, Iowa. It was following a very late #6 so it was after sunset when it came. Plus not getting much notice it was close resulted in not getting decent shot. You can see the lights on inside the cars and Chargers, at least.

I believe they were just guessing. Nothing like testing the chargers...behind the P42s. I'm sure they learned a lot.

Heh heh... the airline equivalent of this would be " Our air traffic control radars cannot reliably locate a single 737, so you must fly four of them in close formation for safety." LOL! Juuust kidding....

I suppose Anderson must be looking at this and other weird practices in connection with the state of railroads safety situation and shaking his head, and unfortunately in some other cases possibly over-reacting as a result.

I'll look forward to seeing these on Surfliners. Anyone wanna bet that they can figure out a way to sell the seats during peak times? Or maybe just turn them into a premium class bar car.

Likely related to UP’s axel count requirements and the need for axels out west on state supported services. Sad!
As far as I know, the only place UP requires axle count cars is on the River Runner route. I would think the California trains on UP (just the Capitol Corridor, I believe) have more than enough cars already in operation.

Surfliners run on UP tracks, upcoast from Ventura and maybe some other segments too. According to a thread on Train Orders, UP is requiring 30 axels "north of Los Angeles", apparently on the Coast route (although that wasn't clear) "to shunt the circuits". Also not clear is whether it applies to county-owned/Metrolink track.

I'll look forward to seeing these on Surfliners. Anyone wanna bet that they can figure out a way to sell the seats during peak times? Or maybe just turn them into a premium class bar car.
The Viewliners and California cars have different vestibule heights so passengers would not be able to walk between them in the absence of a Superliner transition sleeper or similar car.

Not an issue for the single level set, although IIRC it doesn’t need extra axels. For the bilevels, seems like a problem that needs solving. That’s what we do here in California. We’ll get back to you :)

Surfliners run on UP tracks, upcoast from Ventura and maybe some other segments too. According to a thread on Train Orders, UP is requiring 30 axles "north of Los Angeles", apparently on the Coast route (although that wasn't clear) "to shunt the circuits". Also not clear is whether it applies to county-owned/Metrolink track.
30 an interesting number. That requires 8 - 4 axle units instead of 7 if the requirement was 28 axles.

Last edited:
BTW, the word you guys have been meaning to use is "axle", not "axel".

An "axel" is "a jump in skating with a forward takeoff from the forward outside edge of one skate to the backward outside edge of the other, with one and a half turns in the air."

Whereas an "axle" is "a rod or spindle (either fixed or rotating) passing through the center of a wheel or group of wheels."

o_O:rolleyes::cool:

BTW, the word you guys have been meaning to use is "axle", not "axel".

An "axel" is "a jump in skating with a forward takeoff from the forward outside edge of one skate to the backward outside edge of the other, with one and a half turns in the air."

Whereas an "axle" is "a rod or spindle (either fixed or rotating) passing through the center of a wheel or group of wheels."

We're talking about California, where "axel" is correct, according to Caltrans.

7peDnuk.png

(To be fair, this is a Google Street View image from 2007 -- a few years after this, they put a sound wall along this stretch of I-5, and put up a new sign with the correct "axle" spelling.)

Back