Viewliner Bedroom - Unable to book for a family of 3

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BOSMike

Train Attendant
I'm doing some planning for a trip with my son (6yo) and daughter (3yo) on the LSL out of Boston through to CHI.

I figured a Bedroom would be perfect for the trip, but apparantly Amtrak's reservation system disagrees:

Problem with Selected Accommodations: The accommodation you have selected is too small to accommodate the number of people traveling. Please select a different accommodation or increase the number of accommodations. Or, for additional assistance, please call 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245).

[Error ID:116A]

Yet, their website they have the following info about allowing 3 in a sleeper:

How many people can a bedroom accommodate?

Most sleeping car rooms are designed to comfortably accommodate two averaged-sized adults, one in each berth. Some rooms can accommodate more: on Superliner trains, for example, Family Bedrooms are designed to accommodate two adults and two children. Regular Bedrooms (not Roomettes, Family Bedrooms or Accessible Bedrooms) can be combined to create Bedroom Suites. In addition, lower berths in all Bedrooms (but not Roomettes) can accommodate two small adults or children, allowing up to three to share a room.

So, I'm wondering how to handle this. I can't create a 2nd reservation for just 1 child so from what I can tell they won't even allow a family of 1 adult + 2 small children to book a bedroom!?

The bedroom is set up to handle two adults and one child so one adult and two little chidren should be no problem. The little children will fit nicely in the wider lower bunk and its also close to the floor, while there will be a full bunk for you upstairs. If need be you could fit with your two year old in the lower bunk and the 6 yr old could stay in the upper bunk but the fall net is not that long up there so its your call. You could also bring an extra pillow and have the kids sleep foot to foot in the lower.

I know a couple who travel regularly with their 12 yr old daughter and she sleeps comfortably with mom in the wider lower bunk while dad sleeps in the upper bunk built for one.

Yes, you need to call and speak with an agent.

They must make you aware that there are only 2 berths in the bedroom, but they can book it, after they make you aware of this. Too many people were booking 3 adults into the bedroom online (because it says that it accommodates 3), and then complaining because there are only 2 berths! So now you need to speak to an agent!

Thanks!

Makes sense now. I did peek in the bedroom last summer when I was in a Roomette with just my son. The lower bunk in the Bedroom definitely looked wide enough to accommodate the 2 little ones with me up top.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back