Viewliner at Bear Shops

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Iron

Conductor
I was northbound on the 18th and saw a viewliner at the Bear shops in its original paint scheme. The side facing the train was the one with windows running the full lenght of the car. I guess since only one diner prototype was built (and I ate in the 8400 the same day on the LSL) that this is a sleeper?? Why is it not out generating revenue?

2300 or 2301. Whichever one didn't become "Eastern View" and run in service in the early 2000s. When I noticed it a few weeks ago, it appeared to be a shell on wheels.

2300 or 2301. Whichever one didn't become "Eastern View" and run in service in the early 2000s. When I noticed it a few weeks ago, it appeared to be a shell on wheels.
I've seen a report that one of the 2 other Viewliner prototypes is going to be or is being restored to service as a office car, but that car would presumably be in shop and not stting outside at Wilmington. That one at Wilmington may just be in dead storage.

On other hand, given the tight supply of equipment along with the experience gained and success in restoration of the 8400, Amtrak may have decided to restore all 3 original Viewliner prototypes to service. If trucks and parts were ordered for the 8400 to completely rebuild the car in the same configuration as the new CAF Viewliners, ordering 2 more sets of parts to match as a larger part buy might be more affordable.

I've seen a report that one of the 2 other Viewliner prototypes is going to be or is being restored to service as a office car,
True. The 62091 is in Beech Grove undergoing conversion right now.

but that car would presumably be in shop and not stting outside at Wilmington. That one at Wilmington may just be in dead storage.
It is. From what I understand, it's an empty shell. It hasn't been in service since the early 90s. From what I can tell, its last actual railroad movement was to deadhead from the Viewliner production plant in Hornell, NY (where it was used to guide in the production of the regular fleet of 50) to Wilmington sometime in the early to mid 90s.

It may have been shoved around here and there, to other parts of the yard, and perhaps even been used as a mockup of sorts, but it hasn't gone anywhere, and won't be any time soon.

On other hand, given the tight supply of equipment along with the experience gained and success in restoration of the 8400, Amtrak may have decided to restore all 3 original Viewliner prototypes to service.
No.

I've seen a report that one of the 2 other Viewliner prototypes is going to be or is being restored to service as a office car, but that car would presumably be in shop and not stting outside at Wilmington. That one at Wilmington may just be in dead storage.

On other hand, given the tight supply of equipment along with the experience gained and success in restoration of the 8400, Amtrak may have decided to restore all 3 original Viewliner prototypes to service. If trucks and parts were ordered for the 8400 to completely rebuild the car in the same configuration as the new CAF Viewliners, ordering 2 more sets of parts to match as a larger part buy might be more affordable.
What is an office car?

What is an office car?
That is a type of passenger car that is intended for management use on either passenger or freight trains. Typically they are somewhat self contained, and include a kitchen, dining area, sleeping accommodations, a lounge and sometimes a open rear platform. Here's an example of an older private car that is for sale by a broker.

I was northbound on the 18th and saw a viewliner at the Bear shops in its original paint scheme.
If you were northbound on the NEC then what you saw is Wilmington shops not Bear shops. Bear is not visible from the NEC. OTOH if you were driving and not anywhere near the NEC in Delaware, that is a different issue.

That is indeed the 2300. When I last saw it a week ago, it was coupled to the 828, a phase IV P40. Both the 828 and 2300 have moved around the yard a bit the past few times I've passed by. So it at least rolls, although I doubt they could get it out on the mainline.

I was northbound on the 18th and saw a viewliner at the Bear shops in its original paint scheme.
If you were northbound on the NEC then what you saw is Wilmington shops not Bear shops. Bear is not visible from the NEC. OTOH if you were driving and not anywhere near the NEC in Delaware, that is a different issue.
I was on #164 headed to NYP. Thanks for the clarification of the location.

Just so happened that at Wilmington my new seatmate was employed by Amtrak at the Bear shops. I was impressed with his positive attitude and work ethic. It was interesting having him point out the various dings he saw in the car and how they would be fixed, or should have been fixed before going out on the road. He was working on the project to convert the cafe cars to coaches and was proud that his efforts were returning badly needed revenue cars into the system. He also said it was a shame how dirty the cars and bathrooms got enroute and said Amtrak needs to have an employee on board to keep the trains clean, or have coach cleaners board at longer stops to do a quick refresh.

I told him with his attitude and engaging personality he should be working onboard. He said he'd love to, had given it thought but couldn't handle the paycut. We had a great conversation about alot of things between Wilmington and NYP. Kudos to Amtrak for hiring him. This was a union employee that was self motivated wanting the best for Amtrak and its passengers.

I was on #164 headed to NYP. Thanks for the clarification of the location.

Just so happened that at Wilmington my new seatmate was employed by Amtrak at the Bear shops. I was impressed with his positive attitude and work ethic. It was interesting having him point out the various dings he saw in the car and how they would be fixed, or should have been fixed before going out on the road. He was working on the project to convert the cafe cars to coaches and was proud that his efforts were returning badly needed revenue cars into the system. He also said it was a shame how dirty the cars and bathrooms got enroute and said Amtrak needs to have an employee on board to keep the trains clean, or have coach cleaners board at longer stops to do a quick refresh.

I told him with his attitude and engaging personality he should be working onboard. He said he'd love to, had given it thought but couldn't handle the paycut. We had a great conversation about alot of things between Wilmington and NYP. Kudos to Amtrak for hiring him. This was a union employee that was self motivated wanting the best for Amtrak and its passengers.
I'm gonna go off topic a bit here:

This post makes it a little clearer to me why there are so many complaints about on board staff. Let's face it, it does not pay all that well. A man who is working a skilled trade, like re-building railcars - whether as a welder, or electrician, whatever, is going to stay with that job and not go into lesser paying work unless he has to.

To me this makes a strong case for more trade schools and fewer information technology colleges who turn out smart people who can't get jobs - because there are smart people in Asia who will work much cheaper and better. So they end up flipping burgers, or, spending years cleaning cars and feeling put out by passengers with an "I deserve better" attitude.

People in Asia are not going to be rebuilding railcars and sending them to us. I hope.

OK done.

Last edited by a moderator:
To me this makes a strong case for more trade schools and fewer information technology colleges who turn out smart people who can't get jobs - because there are smart people in Asia who will work much cheaper and better. So they end up flipping burgers, or, spending years cleaning cars and feeling put out by passengers with an "I deserve better" attitude.
Yep, go to a trade school and learn a skill like, say, carpentry. You will certainly have no problem getting a good paying job in building new houses. :eek:hboy:

He also said it was a shame how dirty the cars and bathrooms got enroute and said Amtrak needs to have an employee on board to keep the trains clean, or have coach cleaners board at longer stops to do a quick refresh.
Amtrak does do that! Northbound at NY on most of the busier trains, a cleaner boards at NYP and rides to either Stamford or New Haven. They walk the train collecting trash shoved into the seat backs, and they freshen the restrooms up. They can't do a deep cleaning, but what they do still does help things.

I'm not sure why some ride to Stamford and others to New Haven, although most common seems to be Stamford. Then the board the next train back to NYP and again clean that train too.

Amtrak does do that! Northbound at NY on most of the busier trains, a cleaner boards at NYP and rides to either Stamford or New Haven. They walk the train collecting trash shoved into the seat backs, and they freshen the restrooms up. They can't do a deep cleaning, but what they do still does help things.

I'm not sure why some ride to Stamford and others to New Haven, although most common seems to be Stamford. Then the board the next train back to NYP and again clean that train too.

IMHO - between WAS and NYP, the cars - especially the toilets - on the Regionals could use a cleaning around PHL. By the time they get to NYP, things have gotten pretty 'ripe.' :ph34r:

IMHO - between WAS and NYP, the cars - especially the toilets - on the Regionals could use a cleaning around PHL. By the time they get to NYP, things have gotten pretty 'ripe.' :ph34r:
It's us mean, ole grimy pax from RVR that are creating the mess :lol: I was fairly impressed with the cleanliness of the bathrooms on both the north and south bound Regionals I rode two weeks ago, even boarding in WAS on #195 from Boston.

It's us mean, ole grimy pax from RVR that are creating the mess :lol: I was fairly impressed with the cleanliness of the bathrooms on both the north and south bound Regionals I rode two weeks ago, even boarding in WAS on #195 from Boston.
Well you know how us folks from NORTHERN Virginia are... :wacko:

Well you know how us folks from NORTHERN Virginia are... :wacko:

I may be from SOVA but have had many a great time in NOVA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back