View car for coach passengers on the Coast Starlight? And Red Cap?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My mom and I will be visiting my brother who is in school in Santa Barbara. We are flying into LAX and then taking the train to Santa Barbara. The train is the Coast Starlight 14 leaving at 10.10AM.

I am wondering if there is a view car available to coach passengers and if so when can you go there? Can you board and sit there immediately or do they announce when it will be open?

Also we will get a Red Cap in Union Station as my mom is staying for 6 weeks and has 2 large cases. How does this work? Do we hand over our luggage and then go sit in the waiting room and wait for the red cap to fetch us later or do we engage a red cap when we are ready to board?

Sorry for the very amateurish questions but it will be our first time in the US and first time ever on a train. We are from Australia so trying to make this as pleasant and stress free as possible.

Thanks.

The Sightseer Lounge car is open to all passengers (the Starlight used to have an additional sleeper-only lounge, but it's been discontinued). The upper-deck lounge section is open immediately, however you will want to stay in your seats until after the conductor scans your tickets & puts a slip of paper above your seat. The lower deck cafe will open a little while after departing LAX, hold "regular" hours & close shortly before arriving in Seattle.

Someone else will have to answer your Red Cap questions.

peter

If they fit the size and weight parameters, I'm pretty sure both LA and Santa Barbara have checked baggage service. You could check them, and just carry on a small bag with what you need for a short trip. Always carry on important stuff like meds you might need if delayed.

It's worth looking into the cost of a roomette for the day you'll be travelling. I once booked this from Emeryville to LAX for just a $50 upcharge from coach for two people; since roomette fares include meals, it seemed well worth it for the day. A roomette will also give you access to the sleeper lounge at LA Union Station.

BC would likely also be an option. hey would get the lounge and the coupon for the cafe. Since they're only going to Santa Barbara, (due in at 12:40) it would just be a lunch, and they might be a little rushed...

Back