V. late 2/22 7/15?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fillyjonk

OBS Chief
I woke to an e-mail from Amtrak. Called them and found out that the TE I am to get on to will be at least four hours late (dang, no dinner. Will have to get dinner on the way somewhere and restaurants are thin on the ground on the route I take to drive to the station).

The agent assured me the busing was "only" between before Del Rio and San Antonio, they are "turning" the previous train for us. She referenced a bridge fire - wasn't that already being discussed here? Is this some new and surprising thing to Amtrak? She also talked about a freight derailment as the cause so I'm wondering if her information is old information.

Not happy about that 4 hour + delay - I have a 2 1/2 hour drive to the station. I will have to keep monitoring Amtrak and leave later than normal, I guess (but also build in time to get dinner on the road, or eat super early before I leave home.

Is this "bridge fire" a new thing? Or is this an ongoing issue? (I would think the host railroads would figure out a reroute if it was ongoing)

I woke to an e-mail from Amtrak. Called them and found out that the TE I am to get on to will be at least four hours late (dang, no dinner. Will have to get dinner on the way somewhere and restaurants are thin on the ground on the route I take to drive to the station).

The agent assured me the busing was "only" between before Del Rio and San Antonio, they are "turning" the previous train for us. She referenced a bridge fire - wasn't that already being discussed here? Is this some new and surprising thing to Amtrak? She also talked about a freight derailment as the cause so I'm wondering if her information is old information.

Not happy about that 4 hour + delay - I have a 2 1/2 hour drive to the station. I will have to keep monitoring Amtrak and leave later than normal, I guess (but also build in time to get dinner on the road, or eat super early before I leave home.

Is this "bridge fire" a new thing? Or is this an ongoing issue? (I would think the host railroads would figure out a reroute if it was ongoing)
There is a discussion about the bridge that had a fire a while ago. Apparently they opened it to traffic, but something went wrong with ?a piling?, so it's closed to traffic again.

I'm getting on in Mineola. So while I won't be bused, I also won't get dinner on the train and will have to cope with it being v. late.

at least it's apparently late enough that I can have a large, late lunch here and then just bring a snack for shortly before I get on, but gah.

And now Track-a-Train is showing it being on time for Mineola? Dang, they turned that thing fast. (GUess I better count on them being out of most things at dinner)

I'm also dealing with an issue related to the meetings I'm going to: by an oversight some of my materials were left out of the proceedings and I have to resend at the last minute. So as Chevy Chase once said: "Hallelujah, holy ****, where's the Tylenol?"

You'll probably get dinner. There's a great deal of schedule padding between SAS and DAL. Also, I've boarded the 22 an hour or more late at Longview and still had dinner.

Also, I don't think they 'turned' the train (2). Probably passengers on the SL who are going north on the TE were bussed to SAS and boarded the spare coach/sleeper pair which is kept in SAS for situations like this.

And, of course, fillyjonk, you were looking forward to a nice, relaxing ride on the way to your meetings.

You may have to resort to Plan B: Take a nap while someone else is giving a PowerPoint presentation! :giggle:

You'll probably get dinner. There's a great deal of schedule padding between SAS and DAL. Also, I've boarded the 22 an hour or more late at Longview and still had dinner.

Also, I don't think they 'turned' the train (2). Probably passengers on the SL who are going north on the TE were bussed to SAS and boarded the spare coach/sleeper pair which is kept in SAS for situations like this.
I hope that means they still have sleeper space for me (I have a roommette reserved). I am not the sort to throw hissy fits but if I get told, "Whoops, you're in coach now" there WILL be a hissy fit.

today has been such a cluster though that I would not be too surprised.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back