UP cars in Illinois today.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim G.

Service Attendant
I did a points run today on Lincoln Service #302. On the rear were two UP cars, the "Portolo", a sleeper, and "Idaho", a pretty neat car that had a full picture window, top to bottom and side to side, across the rear. Perfect for watching the rails going away. I can only wonder who the lucky riders were, where they were from, and where they were going.

I did a points run today on Lincoln Service #302. On the rear were two UP cars, the "Portolo", a sleeper, and "Idaho", a pretty neat car that had a full picture window, top to bottom and side to side, across the rear. Perfect for watching the rails going away. I can only wonder who the lucky riders were, where they were from, and where they were going.
UP, IDOT and Amtrak officials checking out the new 110 mph tracks, perhaps. The "Idaho" is a "theater car" with amphitheater type seating allowing a good view of the tracks for 20 or so people.

I can't say for this particular case, but I believe the railroad "business cars" are rarely used for track inspection purposes, but are more likely used for entertainment purposes toward big shippers, and politicians and their families. That is of course "business" as well.... ;)

Back